Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

The Official Testing Thread

:D None of this means Sh#te yet.......................

ok, these testing times are officially messed up. What on EARTH is happening with red bull? And how can nick go from 5th to 12th with only 24 hours in between? Alonso and Rosberg seem to be getting similar places so doesn't look like they're trying anything new. I wonder what BMW are up to...
I'll try to answer that. First about BMW, both drivers have now run hot laps on very low fuel. JV's fastest time at Jerez at the end of 2005, the day he set fastest time of the session was on low fuel. This was around the time Cosworth were making a fuss over reaching 20,000 rpm so BMW allowed to JV go for it and gave him some extra revs to boot. A sign of confidence in JV and the engine as it would have looked rather embarassing had he spun off or the engine blew up. JV's time was set right at the end of the session and was his last of the day.

Nick then ran for three days after that test and wanted to do a low fuel run however they had technical problems and he couldn't do so, hence on Wednesday (European time) it seems he did a low fuel run and set that 1:18.8 on his second to last lap, .1 or so behind JV's time set at the end of last year. That's what BMW are up to I believe.

As for Red Bull, well the really do look to be in some trouble, unreliable and slow, with both drivers. Rosberg is doing a very good job I think.

Anyways, as pump says, it means nothing, but it's something to talk about.

but they are testing quite a few new aero bits on the front wing,and in some pics there are strange winglets hanging,while in others the car looks normal ..

The car is the same as they tested at the end of the year. The only difference between the C24 and C24B is that the C24 had the Ferrari (Petronas) engine whilst the B version has the BMW engine, whilst slight changes were made to the engine cover of the B version to fit in some wires or something. The aero hasn't been changed and as for the front wing, it's the same as Jacques and Felipe raced from Silverstone onwards in 2005.

:D None of this means Sh#te yet.......................

So true you are. Look at Paffet's time in a v10.

Lets wait and see until the end of January, then we can start analyzing and throwing crap.

The car is the same as they tested at the end of the year. The only difference between the C24 and C24B is that the C24 had the Ferrari (Petronas) engine whilst the B version has the BMW engine, whilst slight changes were made to the engine cover of the B version to fit in some wires or something. The aero hasn't been changed and as for the front wing, it's the same as Jacques and Felipe raced from Silverstone onwards in 2005.

tell me do you observe any difference in these pics

54615.jpg

54675.jpg

54671.jpg

54623.jpg

No difference. I saw it explained in another forum whereby the white paint gives off an illusion of minor changes in certain areas but there are no changes other than the ones I listed. Where do you see the changes?

1 F. Alonso Renault Michelin 1:18.512 -.--- 66

2 A. Davidson BAR-Honda Michelin 1:19.257 +0.717 69

3 G. Fisichella Renault Michelin 1:19.784 +1.256 50

4 G. Paffett McLaren-Mercedes Michelin 1:19.791 +1.291 46

5 P. de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes Michelin 1:19.845 +1.330 37

6 R. Barrichello BAR-Honda Michelin 1:20.030 +1.530 37

7 N. Heidfeld BMW Sauber F1 Team Michelin 1:20.482 +1.976 63

8 M. Webber Williams Bridgestone 1:20.512 +1.987 63

9 A. Wurz Williams Bridgestone 1:20.918 +2.409 13

10 C. Klien Red Bull Racing Michelin 1:21.631 +3.123 27

circuitojerez.com

thursday pics-jerez

http://www.f1racing.net/en/gallery.php?catID=1879&startat=20

redbull's new front wing !!

54716.jpg

54717.jpg

Alonso on top with the new R26

Jerez - Friday - Testing

Impressive pace from Alonso in the new R26

Renault and Fernando Alonso concluded the current test programme at Jerez today by topping the timesheets with the new V8-powered R26 chassis with a best time of 1:18.512s.

Attempting to complete a race distance with the new powerplant, Alonso was interrupted by numerous red flags in the morning, while the afternoon saw unstable weather conditions and further red flags disrupt the programme. Giancarlo Fisichella was once again at the wheel of the R25, and continued working on a tyre development programme in concert with Michelin. The Italian, who will celebrate his 33rd birthday tomorrow, was third fastest.

“We had another very good day, although I feel a bit frustrated at the end because the number of red flags and rain showers stopped me from making the most of the day with more long runs in the 2006 car," said the 2005 Champion. "I think we have done a good job this week. The aim was to do as many laps as possible, which we managed without any mechanical problems. The car feels good. There are still things to improve, but we have a solid base and I am really looking forward to the next session in Barcelona in ten days’ time, to continue working on reliability and start looking at performance. There will already be new things to test, so it should be an interesting session.”

Renault Chief Test Engineer Christian Silk explained that the aim of the week was to gain as much mileage as possible on the new R26 package. "It was a good week, we already seem to have found reliability and the performance seems quite promising after only four days," said Silk. "That is a good first reward for the whole team, which has worked very hard to get where we are. We now need to carry on with that good work, and we will be back on track on 25 January in Barcelona.”

With Renault first and third fastest today with Davidson in between for Honda, Gary Paffett and Pedro de la Rosa took the fourth and fifth best time for McLaren Mercedes just ahead of Rubens Barrichello completing his second day of running with his new Honda team.

Over at BMW Sauber, Nick Heidfeld was behind the wheel of the V8-powered C24B once again. The team started with systems and software checks, followed by some set-up work. They ran a tyre test programme for Michelin and evaluated different brake specifications. BMW Sauber will roll out their new car next Tuesday in Valencia.

Mark Webber and Alex Wurz were ninth and tenth best for Williams Cosworth with Christian Klien bringing up the rear for Red Bull Ferrari.

The Jerez circuit will be artificially soaked for Michelin wet weather running on Saturday with Klien, Paffett and de la Rosa scheduled to test. Testing then resumes on Tuesday with McLaren, Toyota and Williams on track

source-RENAULT

ALONSO FEARS BRIDGESTONE REVIVAL

ITV

35582_1.jpg

World champion Fernando Alonso fears that the Bridgestone teams could leave the likes of Renault and McLaren trailing in 2006.

Toyota and Williams have joined Ferrari on Bridgestone

I still see no difference in the cars.... BMW aren't allowed to mess with the actual car until they take over officially on the 14th I think... The white paint gives the illusion that there is an extra addition to the front wing when this is actually just the same as the sauber; just then it was painted black and you couldn't see it.

As for Paffett in the V10 - they are limited, as was Fisi's. Looks just like general testing, unpredictable. Nice to see him make some progress and beat PDR in todays testing though :)

I still see no difference in the cars.... BMW aren't allowed to mess with the actual car until they take over officially on the 14th I think... The white paint gives the illusion that there is an extra addition to the front wing when this is actually just the same as the sauber; just then it was painted black and you couldn't see it.

i was talking about under the front wing of the car ....

Barrichello buoyed by initial run

Honda sum up week one of 2006

Rubens Barrichello on track for Honda

The Honda Racing F1 Team began its 2006 testing programme at the Circuito de Jerez in Southern Spain this week. With new race driver Rubens Barrichello joining the team for his first test and with Anthony Davidson confirmed as third driver, it was an exciting week for the team as it continues preparations for the 2006 season. Building on his experience of testing for the team in 2005, one of the team's Young Drivers James Rossiter also completed a one-day test programme on Wednesday, making excellent progress.

Davidson and Rossiter began the test on Wednesday. The cold weather meant that there was little running in the early part of the morning with both drivers completing installation laps and system checks only. Once on track, Davidson concentrated on a tyre evaluation programme completing an impressive 113 laps while James conducted a series of aerodynamic evaluations alongside a tyre programme, covering 105 laps.

Barrichello arrived in Jerez on Thursday for his first test session with the team. He began the day running in the team's 2005 car with a V10 engine in order to acclimatise himself to the car and tyres. The circuit was again very cold in the early part of the morning so the Brazilian used the opportunity to complete installation runs and establish his driving position. Once the track temperatures started to rise, he went back out to complete his first full runs to evaluate the car and provided some valuable feedback to the engineers.

Barrichello completed 45 laps in the 2005 car, concluding the team's V10 engine programme and setting the equal fastest time of the day. He then moved over to the 2006 Concept car for his first run with a V8 engine and completed eight laps to prepare himself for the following day's programme. Davidson continued his running in the second Concept car and, after initial set-up work, completed a tyre evaluation covering 107 laps.

The frequent afternoon rain showers caused some interruptions in Jerez on Friday. Barrichello continued to acclimatise himself to the V8 car, completing further familiarisation runs and working on set-up. He completed a couple of dry runs in the afternoon session, followed by a wet run at the end of the day on intermediate tyres, completing a total of 38 laps over the day. Davidson continued his work in the V8 car running through further aerodynamic evaluations alongside general set-up work and completing 69 laps.

Barrichello will remain in Jerez on Saturday to complete a wet tyre programme with Michelin. The team will be testing at Jerez again next week from Wednesday 18 - Friday 20 January.

There was the odd glitch, but Barrichello positive

following his first Honda tests

Rubens Barrichello

"It's been a fantastic time for me this week. Everyone has been really enthusiastic and the relationship has been good so I hope that keeps going. We couldn't do as many laps today as I wished because of the weather but it's looking good. Any laps that I can get with the V8 engine prior to starting with the new car in a couple of weeks will be very very important. So I'm happy as even with only 39 laps and the experience that I have with the car, we moved forward today. I know I will be very happy here."

Anthony Davidson

"We've completed lots of tyre testing this week looking at new compounds and constructions for Michelin. We've found some good results from the long runs as well as the performance runs and I've been really quite happy with the pace of the car all week. It's been good having Rubens here for the first time, to work with him and hear some different views and ideas, I've really enjoyed that. It's been a good week to get to know each other and already I can feel there is a strong working relationship there so I'm very happy about that and it's positive for the year ahead."

James Rossiter

"It was good to be back in the car and helping the team out at the first test of the year. I concentrated mainly on aero evaluations and a short tyre programme and we found some encouraging results. The car felt good and was reliable so overall I had a very positive day on Wednesday."

Mark Ellis, Chief Test Engineer

"We have made solid progress this week adapting the car to the new regulations. Tyre testing with Michelin has yielded some very encouraging results which will provide a good direction for 2006. It is good to welcome Rubens to the team and he has spent a couple of days acclimatising to the new engine and tyres and has provided excellent feedback as expected. It was very valuable for us to have one of the Young Drivers James at the test continuing to gain experience and mileage in the car and providing very high quality feedback."

Shuhei Nakamoto, HRD Engineering Director

"The three-day test has been very successful this week and we have completed the whole engine programme. Rubens joining the team is very interesting for us and will be a big help with the engine development."

Source Honda

the front wing is the same as they used from Silverstone onwards. I've been saying that for 3 days now.

the front wing is the same as they used from Silverstone onwards. I've been saying that for 3 days now.

the part that you are talking about in the central portion of the wing is there since sstone,probably you misunderstood me

The little part of the wing under the main plane has been there from Silverstone onwards, along with the main part of thw wing itself.

Reliability gremlins for Williams

Mark Webber was joined by his new teammate, Alexander Wurz for the third day of testing for the Cosworth powered WilliamsF1 team at the Jerez circuit on Friday, the Australian and Austrian concluding the Grove based squad’s first official test of 2006.

Between them the two men clocked up a total of 72 laps, 61 of which were completed by Webber due to a few issues on Wurz’s contender. However, in the eleven laps he did manage to complete, Alex set a time four tenths slower than Webber and is now looking forward to returning to the test track next week to hopefully pick up where he left off alongside Nico Rosberg.

“Mark and Alex drove today, finishing the first test of 2006. We covered good mileage with Mark's car and tested some tyres for Bridgestone at the same time,” explained Sam Michael. “Unfortunately, however, we had some reliability problems on Alex's car that resulted in limited track time for him today. We will now review these faults and return to Jerez next week with Nico and Alex.”

“Cosworth’s test objectives for Jerez were to accumulate track miles and collect feedback from the drivers on some of the latest specification CA2006 components and systems,” added Simon Corbyn, Head of F1 Race Engineering, Cosworth. “Overall, progress with the engine is good and we are working hard to finalise the engine specification for the initial races. Driver feedback on engine performance continues to be very positive. Unfortunately, we did suffer an engine failure this afternoon and are now working through possible solutions to the problem.”

GP2006.com

friday pic ,holes are still ther e in redbull's car

z186.jpg

First Ferrari test a success

On Monday Michael Schumacher began to work with Ferrari's new F2006 car at Fiorano, Italy. The shakedown of the car went without any major problems. There weren't any official times released but according to Italian media Schumacher's lap time was less than one minute.

The F2006's performance, fitted with a V8 engine, was good. Fiorano's lap record is 55.9 seconds and set in 2004.

The F2006 covered 33 laps in the morning. The only problem that halted the test in the afternoon, after 45, laps was a problem that looked like a fuel problem. Schumacher stopped at the straight and couldn't go any further.

F1RACING.net

Cheers Narain Fan and Senna for keeping us upto date with all the testing reports/pics.

January, 17th - 00:59

Red Bull clarifies overheating issues

The Red Bull Racing team had their first test session of the year last week in Jerez and certain news hungry (ie desperate for a story) media soon latched on to the fact that RB2 had a few teething problems but, to put the record straight, the overall feeling from four days in Spain was positive.

Heidfeld on track in the new F1.06

Circuit debut of the BMW Sauber team

Nick Heidfeld puts the F1.06 though its paces

At 1.20 pm today Nick Heidfeld drove the very first lap with the BMW Sauber F1.06 at the Circuito de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo. After this installation lap he returned to the garage for the usual checks before continuing to clock up a total of 29 laps at this systems check.

"I have been much more nervous than before any other roll-out I have experienced because this is a bigger and long-term programme, and I feel so much passion for this project," said Heidfeld. "The first laps with the BMW Sauber F1.06 were absolutely trouble free, and to begin with I used intermediate tyres as the track was still damp in places. After this first experience I am really looking forward to the forthcoming test days, as we continue to work further in order to find out where we are."

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen explained: "The initial roll-out is the most exciting moment of the year for the engineers. After some nine months of development and simulation we could finally run the car in real time for the first time and get feedback from the driver. We are very pleased that this first day of systems checking ran so smoothly. That