Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

'Schumi Should Quit Immediately'

Ha! You do know Patrick Head said after Mika won the title in 1998 "Mika may have won the title, but it's Jacques whom Michael fears most". That's just a matter of opinion, but I got the sense that with Mika, he was more confident than with JV. JV had that mongrel in him and wouldn't back away from anything. What happened at BAR had nothing to do with Michael.

"No matter how good he is a driver is always coloured by his car" This is what Sir Frank Williams said about JV after he was dropped by BAR. Useless my foot! If anything, I'd have thought 2005 would have tought you how vital it is to have top line machinery in order to be successful in F1. Guess not.

Well said dribbler. To call Hakkinen a quitter, especially after his near death accident, is a load of bollocks.

i dont know, when Schumi himself says his biggest rivel is Mika i dont see how saying that its only your opinion is that his rivel really was JV even counts. If MS sas that mika was his greatest rivel i think that opinion is wrong, cant get more accuret then the guy who actually is thinking it telling you

I think the problem here Redline is that you are presenting your opnions in quite an ill thought fashion. They are causing offense and adverse reaction because you don't back them up with substanse and are keen to use wild metaphor in order to make your argument seem all the prettier.

Of course the forums are for opinion, but unlike Senna, your opinions are so weighed down with unbalanced judgement, i am left with the opinion that you don't think things through thoroughly before you present them.

Persuade others by reassuring them that you can see the other side of the coin?

As for "only giving my opinion".....errrr.....what's this forum for? :mf_tongue:

At least my replies aren't as follows (I quote the member with username "Senna".....)

Do I detect some "opinions" amongst all the monosyllables?

Maybe not. :yawn:

You forgot to write the other 10,920 senna

Why shouldn't he enjoy the booze and smokes after he quit?

No but 2 years of losing made him miss his booze and ciggies and quiet lifestyle, so he decided to quite, one year of losing has made michael moer motivated than ever. diffrent people. he shouldnt try to apply the same principles to others.

MS will only quit if he can't win anymore it's as simple as that... As for those spilling their filth on him,they might as well endure a tough season as Ferrari looks set to fight for the title :rolleyes:

Well said dribbler. To call Hakkinen a quitter, especially after his near death accident, is a load of bollocks.

Indeed. Mika almost died at the 1995 Australian Grand Prix when a tyre failure (in practice) resulted in a heavy impact with a wall. Professor Sid Watkins performed a trackside emergency tracheotomy which enabled Mika to breathe, and the Finn showed amazing bravery by jumping back into his McLaren so quickly.

Mika explains, "You can only get over your fears if you attack them head on, so I had to go driving again flat out."

This is one reason why big Ron and Mika were so close, another was because of his uncommon talent.

Mika's crash

Anyway, why, erm.....

.......why does dribbler think...

errr....

that my posts are done in..................................... :yawn:

..........where was I.........

....in quiet quit "quite an ill thought fashion"? :blink:

I'm obviously dumb, what the hell are you talking about now?

I called Hakkinen a quitter because he retired from F1 at a time when he still had more years in him. The reason he quit (apart from a stated desire to spend more time with his family) was that he'd been ground into the dust, mentally, by Schumi.
Whilst he was mentally burnt out from all the pressure, I recall him saying that he lost all motivation to push himself and the car to it's limits. He had a very nasty accident in Melbourne in 2001 when the suspension failed and he went straight into the barriers. This must have brought back some memories of his near fatal crash in Adelaide in 1995 and he lost his edge.

You're giving Michael too much credit in that he was the major reason he quit. Whilst you think he may have had more years in him, only Mika knows what he had left and if he felt he was not able to push himself or the car to its maximum, than why bother.

Schumi was/is cautious with JV because he was just so unpredictable.

Hardly. Michael knew JV was willing to risk more and push himself and the car that much further. JV was not intimidated by him like many others and stood up to him, Michael doesn't like this. JV was not, and still is not, a dangerous or unpredictable driver. Sure, he may be opportunistic in some of his moves, but this guy came from oval racing, where close quarter racing is the norm, so JV is/was very experienced and highly intelligent. I can recall some JV/M$ battles which have been based upon skill and intelligence

Nurburgring 1996

Estoril 1996

Jerez 1997

Barcelona 1999

Silverstone 1999/2003

Lack of intelligence really seems to help these people.....no surprise.
JV unintelligent? Come off it mate. Both his fine moves on Michael (Estoril, '96 and Jerez '97) were pre planned and worked out to the finest degree, anyone else would have fumbled their way through and stuffed it up. This unintelligent man was also the sole driver who kept his tyres in working order in Spain '97 when everyone else's, except most of the BStone runners stopped 3 or 4 times with badly blistered tyres.
i dont know, when Schumi himself says his biggest rivel is Mika i dont see how saying that its only your opinion is that his rivel really was JV even counts.

That's just my opinion. As I said, JV had that mongrel/killer instinct in him to win at any cost (within reason of course). He'd make brash moves, such as the two on Michael I mentioned above and showed some character in them. Michael has never liked, nor I believe, respected Jacques, so there is no way Michael would ever admit to ever rating JV.

I stand by the fact that M$ was more scared of JV than Hakkinen, JV was just never in a good enough car to prove this, however when for some reason Michael was lower down in the standings, JV and Michael had some superb battles with JV most of the time holding off Michael. Silverstone 2003 for example, M$ passing everyone rather easily, comes up to JV and can't get by, almost going off in one attempt to get past.

:roll: I like you, dribbler......you make me laugh a lot!

To call Hakkinen a quitter, especially after his near death accident, is a load of bollocks.
I wasn't referring to his accident or recovery. I've already said that. Are you reading previous posts at all?

You obviously weren't watching F1 in 2001 or observing Hakkinen in 2002 and 2003 either.

This may help......the year is 2001.....

.....It's been noticeable this year that Hakkinen's qualifying performances have lacked their aggressive, precise edge. Some suggest that it may be a corollary of, say, the McLaren not using its tires as well as the Ferrari, but Coulthard's performances have been stronger, which suggests that Hakkinen is not putting as much effort into this aspect of his work as he used to.
.....Hakkinen's unusually subdued performances have almost inevitably given rise to suggestions that he might be considering retirement at the end of the year. But has that thought really crossed his mind or is he still committed to racing on?
.....The old Hakkinen humor resurfaces as he replies. "It did cross my mind, for example, at the end of 1991... I don't think there is any Grand Prix driver who, over the years, doesn't get to think, 'I've had enough...' Even when you are winning. I've been having bad luck this year, and bad results, so I have to motivate myself and believe in myself. I do definitely need better results, and I will be stronger again."

After which "rousing" :rolleyes: waffle, Hakkinen spent a sabbatical 2002 and then slid into retirement.

Hakkinen said.........

......I didn't want to hurt myself.

I've been through so much in my career in F1, particularly in 1995, and I did achieve so much that I thought that it's not worth it any more to push your luck further.

And some heavy accidents in his last season in 2001 had given Hakkinen pause for thought.

Sounds like a quitter to me.

Now look at his advice to Schumi and ask if maybe Hakkinen shouldn't, instead, just mind his own business. :mf_tongue:

I wasn't referring to his accident or recovery. I've already said that. Are you reading previous posts at all?
My quote about calling Mika a quitter as bollocks was what instigated your response in that you weren't referring to his accident or recovery. It is you who needs to properly read previous posts.
You obviously weren't watching F1 in 2001 or observing Hakkinen in 2002 and 2003 either

Of course I was watching and I stand by everything I said. Hakkinen wasn't in F1 in '02 or '03, so what was there to observe?

And some heavy accidents in his last season in 2001 had given Hakkinen pause for thought

just like the one at Melbourne in 2001 I mentioned. Look, when you lose your edge, the urge to push yourself and your machinery to it's maximum and start having second thoughts and back off in every way, then there is nothing left for you to do then exit the sport before something happens. A driver needs to be 100% committed to the cause, a second of non-concentration and you could be in the wall.

I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

Hakkinen was the only man Schumi ever feared inside a race car. Schumi has admitted that. I think Schumi will think about his opinion, but his drive for more success will probably keep him in the car. Hakkinen has my respect as a driver, he always thought of ways to get around people, such as Spa 2000. I believe that Hakkinen timed his "retirement" like Prost did, he did win his penultimate race (Indy 2001) after all. I put retirement in "" because I think he might actually do what Prost did, and come back to the sport. Now, here is one theory to get thrown back in: Imagine that Toyota wanted Schumi for 2007, and they got him, but they ditched their other driver. I wonder if Hakkinen would have enough fire in him, I wonder if he would consider a drive there

Overall, Hakkinen is a damn good driver. In my top 15 list for certain.

You may debate whether he is a quitter or not, but there is no doubt he lacks the commitment of a Schumacher or a Prost or a Senna (indeed even Villenueve). For him to make calls on when Schumi should quite is nothing short of hypocricy.The first time after 3 years he didn't have the best car on the grid, and he immediately lost all interest and started losing to a driver like coulthard. Thats a quitter if I ever saw one.

You may debate whether he is a quitter or not, but there is no doubt he lacks the commitment of a Schumacher or a Prost or a Senna (indeed even Villenueve). .

indeed,especially considering the donkey the sauber was.and how a section of the (british) media was busy speculating him being replaced by ant :rolleyes:

I stand by the fact that JV ( MS :) ) was more scared of JV than Hakkinen, JV was just never in a good enough car to prove this, however when for some reason Michael was lower down in the standings, JV and Michael had some superb battles with JV most of the time holding off Michael. Silverstone 2003 for example, M$ passing everyone rather easily, comes up to JV and can't get by, almost going off in one attempt to get past.

For my benefit, Redline, and to avoid any confusion, please tell me what is your definition of a quitter?

Reading your posts, it's anyone who retires when not at the top of their profession? That's an awful lot of quitters.

Jees! Get a dictionary. :frusty:

Ha ha. Question too difficult?

I know what the definition is. Just wondered if you did. It's not at all obvious from your posts.

Calling hakkinen a quitter is ridiculous, if hakkinen is a quitter than anyone who's retired from f1 is a quitter too!

Calling hakkinen a quitter is ridiculous, if hakkinen is a quitter than anyone who's retired from f1 is a quitter too!

Definately!

Also, he's one of only 4 drivers to win a championship ahead of MS since 1994.

That's exactly what I'm getting at, but I was trying to string it out a bit.

That's exactly what I'm getting at, but I was trying to string it out a bit.

:lol::lol::lol:

I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

Hakkinen was the only man Schumi ever feared inside a race car. Schumi has admitted that. I think Schumi will think about his opinion, but his drive for more success will probably keep him in the car. Hakkinen has my respect as a driver, he always thought of ways to get around people, such as Spa 2000. I believe that Hakkinen timed his "retirement" like Prost did, he did win his penultimate race (Indy 2001) after all. I put retirement in "" because I think he might actually do what Prost did, and come back to the sport. Now, here is one theory to get thrown back in: Imagine that Toyota wanted Schumi for 2007, and they got him, but they ditched their other driver. I wonder if Hakkinen would have enough fire in him, I wonder if he would consider a drive there

Overall, Hakkinen is a damn good driver. In my top 15 list for certain.

Hakkinen was Schumacher