Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

Discovering The Wind Tunnel

Most tweaks have the input from the driver, sure we have telemetary, but we must also listen to the driver.

In the end i suppose he says what feels better or not.

But im not sure the driver is always correct.

Its a team effort.

Two points:

1) Sauber (BMW) are just now beginning to listen to the driver over the expensive race-sim computers and wind-tunnel aero guys. This is the correct thing to do. Wind tunnels build the fastest theoretical cars, but the driver turns that theory into speed.

2) The driver is always correct. He is the one putting his life on the line and if he says he wants a certain setting in order to be fast, you give it to him. Period.

Yes it's a team effort overall, but once the car is on the track it becomes a driver effort.

Two points:

1) Sauber (BMW) are just now beginning to listen to the driver over the expensive race-sim computers and wind-tunnel aero guys. This is the correct thing to do. Wind tunnels build the fastest theoretical cars, but the driver turns that theory into speed.

2) The driver is always correct. He is the one putting his life on the line and if he says he wants a certain setting in order to be fast, you give it to him. Period.

Yes it's a team effort overall, but once the car is on the track it becomes a driver effort.

I agree with your first point.

And with your second point, in part. Yes the driver puts his life on the line, and he can say what feels better, but I think the guys in the pits also have a part to play in the refinement of the package.

I agree with your first point.

And with your second point, in part. Yes the driver puts his life on the line, and he can say what feels better, but I think the guys in the pits also have a part to play in the refinement of the package.

Agreed. Let me clarify my point. You stated that the driver is not always 'correct'. I say he is. The definition of 'correct' is at issue. Who defines what is 'correct'? The team or the driver? I say the driver. The team contributes to suggestions, but in the end what a driver prefers should be law. The driver only has choices available to him that the team provides, so that is the team's contribution. A better team will give a driver more choices.

I don't see that we disagree, really. I believe you are saying the same thing, no?

The driver is the final judge on how are car feels, full stop. If the team gives him/her a car that doesn't feel right to the driver then he/she won't get the maximum out of it.

back in the old days of the Indy 500 a driver had to feel the car would go were he wanted it to, ie; 6" from the wall in the turns, if he didn't feel the car could do that his times sucked..............

Agreed. Let me clarify my point. You stated that the driver is not always 'correct'. I say he is. The definition of 'correct' is at issue. Who defines what is 'correct'? The team or the driver? I say the driver. The team contributes to suggestions, but in the end what a driver prefers should be law. The driver only has choices available to him that the team provides, so that is the team's contribution. A better team will give a driver more choices.

I don't see that we disagree, really. I believe you are saying the same thing, no?

Fair point. What the driver finds better should be used.

Lets just hope that there is more to come