Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

'crunch Year' For Button Says Walker

f1but.jpg2006 is a big year for Jenson but no matter what the young Brit goes onto achieve, Murray Walker believes that, while he is a ‘nice bloke’, Button will never be able to rival British great, Nigel Mansell.

The veteran commentator says Button does have the potential to win races but 2006 will be the year when we see just how good he is.

Much was expected of Button when he first entered F1. At a very young age, and joining at one of the biggest teams in the sport, Willimas, many thought we had a future great. Seven seasons on and Button is yet to win a single GP.

"This is a crunch year for Jenson because, if he can't beat Barrichello, it's debatable whether he can become world champion," Walker said to The Sunday People.

Button will be racing for the Honda team again in 2006 and will be partnered by former Ferrari man, Rubens Barrichello. Barrichello knows what it feels like to win racers and is out to prove a point is the upcoming season as well.

Walker says that if Jenson is to start to flourish he will first have to get the better of his experienced teammate.

"Jenson is an extremely nice bloke but he has yet to win a Grand Prix. I'm not saying he can't - I'm sure he can, given the right car.”

"Hopefully, this year, with all the backing Honda are putting into the team, he will have the car to win... provided he can beat his team-mate Barrichello this season."

Button has been, and will forever be, compared with Mansell, and while Walker acknowledges that Button is extremely popular he doesn’t believe he will rival the great entertainer, and former World Champion, that is Mansell.

"But I don't see Button replacing Mansell in the British's public's affections because of the sort of personality Nigel has," he said.

"He's a tremendous showman who knows the importance of the fans and does everything he can in the way of talking to them, autographs."

Planetf1.com

I agree with pretty much all he said, but why does he have to compare him to mansell! They are from different periods in the sport, they shouldnt need to be compared, just cos they are both british! Button is his own racer as was mansell, thus comparing them both is silly as they arnt the same, if u get me! lol!

I think that Muddly Talker has fallen into an obvious trap - comparing drivers from different eras. We do it all the time here to no obvious end. Murray has very fond memories of Il Leone, I'm sure, and built a very good relationship with him. He has not, through his own retirement, been able to cultivate such a relationship with Jenson and I feel that he is not being as objective as he might.

I think that Muddly Talker has fallen into an obvious trap - comparing drivers from different eras. We do it all the time here to no obvious end. Murray has very fond memories of Il Leone, I'm sure, and built a very good relationship with him. He has not, through his own retirement, been able to cultivate such a relationship with Jenson and I feel that he is not being as objective as he might.

Good point.

I am with you on that

well,the "wind-master" is actually not criticising the article...

"no need to post it...."

this is not a criticism of planetf1,the source of the article(as it has appeared on almost all F1 related websites)....but the poster

as his "FULLTIME HOBBY" is trying to criticise :rolleyes: ,ironic that he accuses others of not sticking to F1

Its becomming a bit boring with everyone and their aunty giving their opinion on Button and his future.

Actions speak louder than words.. and Button is the only one who can resolve this.

Its becomming a bit boring with everyone and their aunty giving their opinion on Button and his future.

Actions speak louder than words.. and Button is the only one who can resolve this.

murray is not "everyone and his aunty" 7 SEASONS WITHOUT A WIN WOULD BE tomuch

for that "DRIVER"

murray is not "everyone and his aunty" 7 SEASONS WITHOUT A WIN WOULD BE tomuch

for that "DRIVER"

All I'm saying is that nobody will ever tell RB to slow down anymore. Even if I think that RB has 1 good season left in him, this year he's been unleashed. Button needs to drive like never before best of luck to the honda boys

yes it appears the brits are really starting to put the pressure on button this year. i hope he can deliver for honda and repay the massive investment they've made in him.

indeed

on a lighter note just sat my history a level exam on german foreign policy between 1933-1939 and my question was perrrfect!

How far was german foreign policy between 1933-1938, determined by nazi ideology?

what a great question :D

yes it appears the brits are really starting to put the pressure on button this year. i hope he can deliver for honda and repay the massive investment they've made in him.

MASSIVE investment,allright,...... in the FW28 project :P

indeed

on a lighter note just sat my history a level exam on german foreign policy between 1933-1939 and my question was perrrfect!

How far was german foreign policy between 1933-1938, determined by nazi ideology?

what a great question :D

We won the war... who cares! :)

Good to hear that you hammered that question Ben :thbup:

indeed, LOL!

My next two topics that i will be examined on are stalin, and the British colony! :D that will be in June!

what on earth are u on about?

Ignore him Ben and totalf1 will remain a friendly place to post.

It was a trivial article in the sense that the conclusion, that Il Leone was better than JB is, is obvious. Next we should have an article comparing Mark Webber to Jack Brabham, or maybe compare Alonso with Alfonso de Portago etc. I think I

Ignore him Ben and totalf1 will remain a friendly place to post.

It was a trivial article in the sense that the conclusion, that Il Leone was better than JB is, is obvious. Next we should have an article comparing Mark Webber to Jack Brabham, or maybe compare Alonso with Alfonso de Portago etc. I think I've made my point.

Indeed you have, most succinctly.

Indeed you have, most succinctly.

Indeed he has..........................