Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

Top Ten Motorsports Moments On Speed:

[quote]Schumacher Disgraced
Written by: Tom Jensen
Harrisburg, NC – 1/19/2006
Editor’s Note: SPEEDTV.com is counting down SPEED’s Top 10 Motor Sports Moments online, as part of the network’s 2006 celebration of its first 10 years on the air.

No. 8 on our countdown is the 1997 European Grand Prix in Jerez, Spain, when Michael Schumacher collided with Jacques Villeneuve in what most observers believe was a deliberate attempt to wreck Villeneuve and knock him out of the race.

Michael Schumacher’s phenomenal success at Ferrari has assured his legacy as one of, if not the, greatest drivers in Formula 1 history. But in the mid-1990s, Schumacher’s aggressive driving created great controversy within the Formula 1 community.

With the World Driving Championship on the line in the final race of 1994 at Adelaide, Australia, Schumacher and Damon Hill collided in midrace, putting both cars out of the race and handing the German driver his first title. Some pundits insisted Schumacher acted deliberately, while others dismissed it as a racing incident.

What happened at Jerez, Spain, on Oct. 26, 1997, in the season-ending 1997 European Grand Prix, was a wholly different matter, however.

At the time, Schumacher was in his second season driving for Ferrari. The Scuderia had been in disrepair in recent years, having not produced a World Champion since Jody Scheckter in 1979, and Schuey was brought in to return the team to its former glory.

After a dodgy 1996 season, Schumacher won five races in ’97 and headed to Jerez for the final race of the season just a single point ahead of his closest rival, Canadian Jacques Villeneuve, the former CART champ and Indy 500 winner.

Villeneuve started from the pole at Jerez, but Schumacher took the lead into the first corner. On Lap 16 of the 69-lap event, Schumacher turned in the fastest lap of the race to that point and stretched his lead over Villeneuve to 5.422 seconds.

Following a round of pit stops, Villeneuve managed to put his Williams on the tail of the Ferrari, but couldn’t take the point. Schumacher then began to pull away again and had a 3.239-second margin on Lap 32.
Villeneuve dogged Schumacher for the lead before making an "optimistic" attempt at the lead.

But from that point on, Villeneuve began to gain ground, as speculation began that there might be a mechanical issue with the Ferrari.

Schumacher made his second pit stop on Lap 43, with the Canadian following suit on the next circuit.

On Lap 48, Villeneuve attempted to pass Schumacher when the German simply turned hard right, putting his right-front tire into the left sidepod of Villeneuve’s Williams.

But it was Schumacher who got the worst of it, as his Ferrari bounced off the Williams and into a gravel trap, ending his race and his title hopes. Villeneuve went on to finish third in the race and take the championship by three points.

“I was a little bit worried when I overtook Michael,” Villeneuve said. “I knew I was taking a big risk and was really surprised when he decided to turn in on me, although it was a little bit expected.”

"I knew Michael was capable of just trying to take me off and that is what he tried to do. When I made the move my chances were less than 50 per cent but there was no point finishing second. It was better to try and perhaps find myself in the gravel than finish second and have heavy shoulders,” said Villeneuve.

Concerned that his car might be damaged, Villeneuve eased up and on the last lap let the McLaren-Mercedes entries of Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard past him. “I thought my car was broken as it felt very strange,” Villeneuve said. “I could push for a few laps but had to slow down as the tires were eating up on the straight.”
The "clout" that Schumacher's delivered nearly disabled Villeneuve's car, but Schumacher ended up in the gravel trap while Villeneuve went on to take the 1997 driving championship.

Little did he know at the time how much damage he had, as it was only after the race when it became obvious that Schumacher’s wheel nearly hit one of the sensitive electronic engine control boxes mounted in the sidepod of the Williams.

“The clout from Schumacher’s Ferrari had broken the (control box) mounting tray and the retaining strap, leaving the delicate box merely dangling in the breeze, swinging on its wiring loom connector,” said Steve Matchett, who worked with Schumacher at Benetton in the mid-1990s and has been an analyst for SPEED since 1999. “Schumacher had come within one inch of taking Villeneuve’s car out of the race.”

While Villeneuve won the title, Schumacher earned a firestorm of criticism.
Michael Schumacher was "slagged" by the press after taking Jacques Villeneuve out of the European Grand Prix at Jerez in 1997.

“That incident showed how ruthless Schumacher was at that particular time,” said former racer and SPEED analyst Derek Daly. “That was one of the most disgraceful moves I think I’ve ever seen in Formula 1.
What Schumacher did to Villeneuve, his only intention was to put both cars off the road, if necessary, and therefore end up as champion, just like he did with Damon Hill (in 1994).”

Of course, not everyone saw it the same way. SPEED analyst David Hobbs, a former racer like Daly, said he thought Villeneuve’s attempt to pass Schumacher where and when he did was optimistic. Hobbs suggested that had there not been contact between the two cars, Villeneuve might well have gone off the road by himself trying to make an ill-fated pass.

“Obviously, Schumacher got slagged badly (in the press),” said Hobbs, “But Jacques Villeneuve made a bold move and if he hadn’t been run into by Schumacher, he probably wouldn’t have pulled it off. I still think it was really more of a racing accident than some maniacal, Machiavellian move by Schumacher.”

Although track stewards initially ruled the collision a “racing incident,” Formula 1’s governing body, the FIA, thought otherwise and disqualified Schumacher’s results, not merely from Jerez, but from the entire season, removing him from second in the championship.

And that’s why the 1997 European Grand Prix is No. 8 on SPEED’s Top 10 Motor Sports Moments[/quote]
.http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/21632/

[img]http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/93053_clout.jpg[/img]

i have looked at fottage from both 94 and 97 many times from almost every angel imaginable my conclutions have always been that in 94 it really was an accident. in 94 it just looks like Michael tried to close the door but Hill just didnt have time to avoid the car. from what i see is that in 94 michael was on line and took the coner like always but hill just tried to squeze by on the inside. Michael could have backed off but he just stood his ground and so i think it really was hills fault.

in 97 it seams to me that michael tried to edge JV off the road by just moving over so JV could either drive off the road or hit him. in that case JV did hit. also from the videos it seams to me that had jv made it past Schumi he would have had too much speed and would not have been able to barke and would have landed in the gravel.

Michael has a unique driving style, he drives with the thought in mind that he has right of way and all others have brakes with whitch to avoid him. most of the time he wins this way but in those 2 instances the others didnt have brakes. this is a dangerous way to drive but when you think of it, who would you rather pass, the guy who wont move an inch off line or the guy who makes room for you. im also not saying its the smartest way to drive but if it makes you a winner so be it.

While i like Schumacher i do concur with those saying 97 Jerez was attempt to prevent JV from getting title. His penalty for it (losing 2nd place) however is irrelevant as we all remember he was second. I would have given 2 race ban (first two races of 1998) personally myself.

1994 as i have observed (have not seen it) is far more in gray area, what makes it worse for Schumacher is that it happened in last race i gather? Also people seem to be far more divided about this one.

This topic has been covered heaps of times over on this forum

True, it has.

I must admit though, from that day in 1997 I have hated MS!

The look on his face where unlike 1994, his competitor came around to complete another lap with MS standing behing the fence... Priceless!

Yeah I have probably said this 30 times...

but as long as this topic is started I will mention it again and again & smile thinking of the hapless MS sitting on the fence watching JV become champion.

...The look on his face where unlike 1994, his competitor came around to complete another lap with MS standing behing the fence... Priceless!

Yes, in 1994 he was smiling jubilantly with his hands on his head propping himself up against a wall, occasionally turning around to face the crowd and stare up at the sky...

Sickening.

If Michael had stayed on the outside of the corner in Jerez, Jacques would most likely have gone off the road as I think he braked too late.

If Michael had stayed on the outside of the corner in Jerez, Jacques would most likely have gone off the road as I think he braked too late.

Maybe but we'll never know. All I know, is what the whole world saw that day. There is always a winner and a loser in a battle. The frenchman went on to shine in that particular incident and that's all that matters in the end. Can we move on guys?

That

i have looked at fottage from both 94 and 97 many times from almost every angel imaginable my conclutions have always been that in 94 it really was an accident. in 94 it just looks like Michael tried to close the door but Hill just didnt have time to avoid the car. from what i see is that in 94 michael was on line and took the coner like always but hill just tried to squeze by on the inside. Michael could have backed off but he just stood his ground and so i think it really was hills fault.

in 97 it seams to me that michael tried to edge JV off the road by just moving over so JV could either drive off the road or hit him. in that case JV did hit. also from the videos it seams to me that had jv made it past Schumi he would have had too much speed and would not have been able to barke and would have landed in the gravel.

Michael has a unique driving style, he drives with the thought in mind that he has right of way and all others have brakes with whitch to avoid him. most of the time he wins this way but in those 2 instances the others didnt have brakes. this is a dangerous way to drive but when you think of it, who would you rather pass, the guy who wont move an inch off line or the guy who makes room for you. im also not saying its the smartest way to drive but if it makes you a winner so be it.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't honour this sellfish driving. I would even call it cheap and dirty. MS-DM accident in 94 was questionable, there's was a resonable doubt that he might not have done it on purpose all though his reaction afterwards for me clearly revealed his intentions

As for 97 in Jerez, it is clear that he intentionaly turned into JV, if you analyse the videos you clearly see that MS knew very very well were JV was, he looked in his mirror then proceeded to turn his steering wheel hard in. Was calculated and very unsportman like move.

Since then I have not been able to stand MS or really see him as a true champion.

My personal satisfaction tho was to see MS in the gravel spinning his tyres like crazy trying to get out as JV climbed up the hill at Jerez. Priceless :clap3:

We actually covered this ground, to some degree, in the thread concerning our own favourite moments from history. I agree with Senna that the top 10 should be examples of inspired racecraft and driving skill, not the desperate lunge of a poor loser.

Yes, in 1994 he was smiling jubilantly with his hands on his head propping himself up against a wall, occasionally turning around to face the crowd and stare up at the sky...

Sickening.

Well I hope the look on Michael's face, and the way Michael had to see Jacques drive around, and around, and around whilst he was standing near the gravel helps to make up for that.

How did he know Hill's car was irrepairably damaged? got any proof for this???

Well, the fact that Hill did not pass him again must have given him a clue................

Which is a perfectly reasonable raction for someone winning their first championship, except for the people who believe that hill was perfectly justified lungingo n the inside, being behind schumacher.

Going by the theory that he did it deliberately, you'd hardly expect him to look mortified would you, and since that is the only theory people are willing to believe since Hill was 'gentleman' (which does not make him immune to stupidity).

:huh:

Well, the fact that Hill did not pass him again must have given him a clue................

Indeed Monza! Furthermore, after a short time, the marshals told Michael he was world champion.

Obviously, cavallino did not watch F1 in 1994.

Surely any benefit of the doubt to Schumacher over the 94 incident was removied after Jerez 97... The guy clearly will cheat if need be to win.

In 94 he needed to stop Hill from contining in the race to win, and he made sure of it.

Surely any benefit of the doubt to Schumacher over the 94 incident was removied after Jerez 97... The guy clearly will cheat if need be to win.

You are back!!!!....good!

In 94 he needed to stop Hill from contining in the race to win, and he made sure of it.

Awesome to see you back buddy!