Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

The Real Ayrton Senna Revealed

More insight into the mind of the great Ayrton Senna. This article captures the great intellect of the man.

The real Ayrton Senna revealed

It is just over 10 years since Ayrton Senna sat in Grand Prix car for the first time. In that time he has made himself a legend. And yet the man himself remains a mystery. Some call him arrogant, ruthless and cunning and others say he is shy, gentle and compassionate. He doesn't seem to care. Deep down he probably does.

"Perhaps I should have taken my profession in a more relaxed way," he muses, "but I cannot. I have tried many times. Either I do the maximum, which is stressful and not always pleasant, or I don't do it. I have to feel that I am fulfilling my goals and exploiting my full potential. To feel at peace with myself I have to give the maximum, not only for me, but also for all the people with whom I am working. Sometimes I get great results, sometimes it goes wrong but I always know I have tried my best and I couldn't do better."

That determination must make Ayrton a difficult person to live with.

"Am I a difficult person?" he asks, but only to himself. "That depends. The key factor in any relationship is the feeling that you are talking the same language and that you have some basic values. There is respect, trust, professionalism, competence and so on. If I feel that some of those things are missing - particually respect, fairness and honesty - I am a difficult guy and I immediately become a difficult person."

And he trusts his feelings to that extent?

"Yes I do."

But he won't give examples: "I don't see anything positive coming from that because I have to name people."

Years of controversy have taught him to be careful what he says and his conversation is punctuated with long thoughtful pauses. When he speaks he has an awesome ability to explain things in a language which is not his native tongue. Sometimes the dry cynical humour of the risk-taker is apparent and the Latin fury, wild when unleashed, is never far below the calm exterior.

Brought up in comfortable surroundings in Sao Paulo, his wealth today is beyond the wildest dreams of most people. When it comes to money Ayrton is uncompromising. If you want the best, you have to pay through the nose. He doesn't need the money, winning negotiations is just part of the F1 game.

He has beach houses in Angra dos Reis, Brazil and Faro, Portugal; there is the farm at Tatoi, near Sao Paulo, with its own karting track and a lake big enough for jet- and water-skiing; there are expensive apartments in the exclusive Sao Paulo suburb Jardims and in Monaco. He flies the world not in a small jet, but in a small airliner all of his own. He has every toy money can buy.

But it has cost him a lot.

To understand Senna, so they say, you have to realise that he has sacrificed everything to be a winner. There is a remoteness and a melancholy, which has become part of his character. Listen to him talk and you quickly realise that you are dealing with an intelligent and sensitive soul which is somehow hard to equate with the determined and aggressive Senna one sees sometimes behind the wheel of his racing car.

Determination and aggression are words one associates with Senna, who made enemies from the moment he entered F1 in 1984, scoring championship points in his second race. He walked away from a three-year contract with Toleman to join Lotus, and then won his 16th GP [he should have won his 6th Grand Prix, the 1984 Monaco Grand Prix, but was denied by Jacky Ickx

Senna had a poetic command of English, his second language, and a highly developed mind to add to his phenomenal ability. His positive attributes are almost endless.

He was a highly intellectual person.

Indeed. He was also a GOOD person.

:byebye: I miss you Ayrton...

Me too!

I miss him very very much, cryed alot that day but Ayrton will always be in my heart and soul, he was the greatest. A physichal specimen, smart, hard worker, and above all, a respectable person. Always with you Ayrton!