Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Mercedes Engine Commemoration Thread

no he is much more open and frank these days :P

seems its gonna be a tough season for mclaren team-well is it going to be like 2004 where we had two versions of the car-i donno but will mclaren go without a top podium - can it challenge the all new ferrari and honda team-can it stand renault and williams is all a big question for me-anyone new it

MERCEDES ADMITS TO V8 PROBLEMS

Last Updated: Thursday, 16, February, 2006, 10:57

Mercedes has admitted it faces a race against time to solve problems with its 2.4-litre V8 engine by the start of the Formula 1 season.

The FO108S unit fitted to McLaren’s new MP4-21 chassis has lacked both reliability and power in winter testing so far.

Although the revamped version introduced last week seems to be a step forward, Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug acknowledged that the programme was behind schedule.

“I openly admit that we are not where we want to be with the V8 programme,” he told this week’s Autosport magazine.

“The timescale is tight and we have some problems.

“Will we have it 100% solved before Bahrain – who knows?”

Sources suggest that Mercedes has been cutting the revs back on the new engine in order to prevent blow-ups, helping to explain why it has been short of straightline speed.

But Haug said reports that it could not rev beyond 17,500rpm – as much as 2,000rpm shy of major rivals – were “exaggerated”.

“We’re not panicking,” he added.

itv-f1

MERCEDES ADMITS TO V8 PROBLEMS

Last Updated: Thursday, 16, February, 2006, 10:57

Mercedes has admitted it faces a race against time to solve problems with its 2.4-litre V8 engine by the start of the Formula 1 season.

The FO108S unit fitted to McLaren

:blush: embarrassing ,I feel that kimi might get robbbed once again

not again for mclaren-when we think everything is in the right track for kimi and jpm these kind of facts are a big blow to any of the mclaren fan(s) dreams

not again for mclaren-when we think everything is in the right track for kimi and jpm these kind of facts are a big blow to any of the mclaren fan(s) dreams

I think that Mclaren will sort their problems out. Maybe they're just sandbagging ... <_<

I think that Mclaren will sort their problems out. Maybe they're just sandbagging ... <_<

Eventually but time is running out for the mid-march deadline.

:lol:

Valencia: Williams fly as McLaren falter

16/02/06

Nico Rosberg was the pace-setter at Valencia on Day Two, edging Kimi Raikkonen by 0.2 seconds. But it could have been a different story if Kimi's engine hadn't blown.

The Finn's day got off to a delayed start due to a "minor transmission problem", however, once on track he was only able to complete 16 laps before his Mercedes engine expired.

The timescale is tight and we have some problems.

The timescale would be impossibly tight if this was two months ago!

It's far too late now to be talking of fixing things for the first race.

You'd think thay'd have got their act together after the mess of 2005.

They're too busy following old-woman Dennis's decorating instructions for posh buildings in Woking, attending naff uniform fittings and spraying glitter on the bodywork. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling this thread is going to just go on, and on and on...as the season goes on. We're already upto 8 pages and the season hasn't even started!!! :lol:

Based upon the current page-per-failure rate, I'd estimate 70 pages. :roll:

But what on earth are Ferrari doing?? I am getting seriously worried

:blink::huh::eusa_think::unsure::confused2:

Huh?

Hmmm... looks like the tables have turned!!!

I think Mclaren's situation is not at all a lost cause! One baby step at a time...

It's good they admitted that something was horribly wrong with their car. Imagine all that money, all that German Engineering, and English craftsmanship, but still coming up with a half-baked F1 machine - it's frustrating, even for the non-Mclaren fans out there!

Coming from a season that was almost theirs for the taking, never would've they imagined that they'd be where they are now AND to admit all of that to the F1 community... that builds character... and apparently: GREAT ENGINE MODIFICATIONS! ...True to good ol' Mclaren fashion, they've bounced right back! They now have the pace ...now it's just that dreaded R-word... RELIABILITY!

...But still, I bet these pleasant developments are scaring the bejesus out of all those anti-Mclaren people!

...my two cents.

hope that clears things up for you...

No. It shows you don't understand.

Mario Illien at Ilmor in Northampton, England does the engines.

What do Mercedes do? Supply the stickers. :rolleyes:

a benz is a benz is a benz... sounds german to me! :cheers: ...i highly doubt that nothing German engineered is in that machine. There has to be something German in there!

And i quote: "The development of the Mercedes-Benz V8 engine, and its ancillary areas, has seen McLaren Racing provide a strong supporting role to Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, further integrating the facilities in Woking, Brixworth and Stuttgart," added Martin Whitmarsh, CEO Formula One, Team McLaren Mercedes.

...so i guess German engineering was involved somehow!

Hmmm... looks like the tables have turned!!!

I think Mclaren's situation is not at all a lost cause! One baby step at a time...

It's good they admitted that something was horribly wrong with their car. Imagine all that money, all that German Engineering, and English craftsmanship, but still coming up with a half-baked F1 machine - it's frustrating, even for the non-Mclaren fans out there!

Coming from a season that was almost theirs for the taking, never would've they imagined that they'd be where they are now AND to admit all of that to the F1 community... that builds character... and apparently: GREAT ENGINE MODIFICATIONS! ...True to good ol' Mclaren fashion, they've bounced right back! They now have the pace ...now it's just that dreaded R-word... RELIABILITY!

...But still, I bet these pleasant developments are scaring the bejesus out of all those anti-Mclaren people!

...my two cents.

WelcmePal . I am very happy to see one more McLaren fan here.

It's not in Northampton. And he sold out to M-B. So it is a German company, even if the product is built by country bumpkins in Brixworth.