Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Jv Flies In Spain !

Jacques Villeneuve set the pace on the first day of a week's testing at Barcelona.

Only BMW Sauber and McLaren-Mercedes were present at the Spanish Grand Prix venue on Monday, but the Canadian nonetheless impressed in BMW's new F1.06 challenger.

Villeneuve, working on basic set-up and aero development, was nearly a second quicker than his nearest rival Gary Paffett in the interim V10-powered McLaren.

Pedro de la Rosa was just over a second slower than JV in McLaren's brand new MP4-21.

The Spaniard may have gone even quicker in the afternoon but stopped after 19 laps when an oil problem curtailed his running at lunch time.

"Today's first test session has provided us with some useful feedback," said de la Rosa.

"Unfortunately we had a problem with the oil pressure, which was why I stopped out on track shortly before lunchtime.

"However this is why we test, to work out any such problems and I think that considering it was a shakedown everything went well."

Nick Heidfeld brought up the rear in BMW's hybrid Sauber C24. The German concentrated on testing tyre compounds.

Monday's testing times from Barcelona

1. VILLENEUVE BMW 1m17.230s

2. PAFFETT McLaren 1m18.066s

3. DE LA ROSA McLaren 1m18.252s

4. HEIDFELD BMW 1m18.469s

Oh yes I hope JV has actually got the speed I always thought he had back. I would hate it if he actually wasnt this quick at Bahrain. But this year all us JVians will be proud :D Go Villeneuve

Oh yes I hope JV has actually got the speed I always thought he had back. I would hate it if he actually wasnt this quick at Bahrain. But this year all us JVians will be proud :D Go Villeneuve

did you ever doubt him? I sure as hell never did

It looks impressive...

The truth of the matter will, no doubt, shortly be revealed.

It looks impressive...

The truth of the matter will, no doubt, shortly be revealed.

confidence is high, he feels good in the car, the car feels good, what do you think he's got up his sleeve?

This is very encouraging. Two test sessions in a row now he finishes with best time. Definitly a moral booster however we all know it still somewhat early to really get an idea of his real speed. We shall see as more cars start testing and NH and him get their hands on a F1.06 in same time. Definitly the 2006 season is looking good for BMW-Sauber tho :)

confidence is high, he feels good in the car, the car feels good, what do you think he's got up his sleeve?

His arm, most likely.

It is a good thing that he appears confident and I would like to see him do well in the twilight of his career, but I doubt that the car is all that quick relative to the competition. However, we shall soon see.

If he does well i'll be cheering him on. Hell, ill be cheering him on even if he isnt doing so hot. I guess im an official JV fan now.

If he does well i'll be cheering him on. Hell, ill be cheering him on even if he isnt doing so hot. I guess im an official JV fan now.

And that's another one in our camp, nice

In 47 days as a matter of fact B)

47 days, 13 hours, 50 minutes and 10 seconds.

If he does well i'll be cheering him on

This perhaps explains the origins of your Schumi fanaticism?

Hell, ill be cheering him on even if he isnt doing so hot.

Commendable approach...

I guess im an official JV fan now.

I can

I'm very happy after seeing the times JV put up. Whether this is an indication of the new car's speed or not we don't know at this stage. I do think though that JV will do better than last year. His fitness is back, his car is I'm sure setup more to his liking than this time last year and the biggest thing, is he's actually getting to the test the car he's going to drive. Sauber tested about as much as Jordan and Minardi so now having the extra funding of BMW behind them, they can test so much more. While I don't like the look of the new car, I think it's better than last years already.

I'm very happy after seeing the times JV put up. Whether this is an indication of the new car's speed or not we don't know at this stage. I do think though that JV will do better than last year. His fitness is back, his car is I'm sure setup more to his liking than this time last year and the biggest thing, is he's actually getting to the test the car he's going to drive. Sauber tested about as much as Jordan and Minardi so now having the extra funding of BMW behind them, they can test so much more. While I don't like the look of the new car, I think it's better than last years already.

It would be nice to see JV do well again...

This perhaps explains the origins of your Schumi fanaticism?

No, I just kept hearing his name over and over when I was a mere 6 year old, and I grew to support him. I remember taping the Japanese GP in 1998 and watching it before school started. good times, good times.

It would be nice to see JV do well again...

Indeed. A strong performance this year could mean a contract extension, and with any luck he might actually win a race before he retires. It is very early, but the indications are that perhaps BMW Sauber have actually done something right with this car. It is fast and trouble free, meaning much time can be spent on the set up, instead of working out the flaws like Red Bull and Mclaren have been doing.

Jacques Villeneuve set the pace on the first day of a week's testing at Barcelona

Well much as I've always thought him to be a complete idiot, you gotta hand it to him. This is very impressive. I'm absolutely stunned. Magnificent. Tremendous performance. Really super........................

:unsure:

Hang on!

On the first day of a week's testing?

OK, as you were. Forget everything I said.

Testing, smesting. Sheesh! :angry:

Welcome aboard.
OK, as you were. Forget everything I said

Will do ;):lol: Just teasing mate.

As for JV, yeah looks like a good time, but .6 slower than the fastest V8 time in Barcelona which was a Toyota. Nonetheless, very happy to see JV running relatively well and without any troubles. Great for the confidence and morale of both Jacques and the team if nothing else.

BMW POWER! Thats what it says on the back wing!!!

Hello people, those who like me had always faith in JV , this year they gonna cheer it up ...

yes it's true it's testing etc... but the indications start from testing, and JV is really confident abou it,

so am i.

For JV still has and is still one of the best and i compare him with the best always ...

no one wins what he won because of luck or car whateverreason etc....

he won all that cos he's talented and he's one of the best ever drivers we had in f1

my opinion is that Senna , and Prost,and Mansell are better then he's there equally with Shumacher

and now there's those youngster coming up like Raikonnen , montoya and even alonso..

but anyway good luck JV i

m gonna drink alot of beer and cheer it up this year

cheers ...

Welcome aboard.

I've been on board since late 2004, thanks for the reassurance.

This year there are some positives that comes from BMW's being the main new change at the old Sauber setup.

Mainly they bring "new+More" personal and a different braking system that must have better optional customizeable setups for both drivers. They are funding a second shift to the Wind Tunnel and hopefully to the Albert Super Computer also. More testing will be obvious for sure.

Should Sauber-BMW-F1 team be close (or even ahead) to the Top running F1 teams in early testing they (J.V + N.H.) will be very competitive this year.

Most teams may well take on the smaller fuel cell capacity thinking and there could be room to strategically maneuver in certain races with a larger fuel tank even more so with qualifing etc. and skipping a tire change also.

Reliability has been good for BMW-Sauber so far and I hope that will be improving even.

Early days ...... B)