Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan

Effect of V8 changes (btw new member :))

Hi all, I just joined here, looks like a good forum.

Do people think that that the V8 engine rules for this year will make one team dominate?

history tells us this might be the case with car changes, eg 1988 incomplete banning of turbos, and 1998 grooved tyres and narrower track, in both cases Mclaren dominated.

Do people think that that the V8 engine rules for this year will make one team dominate?

history tells us this might be the case with car changes, eg 1988 incomplete banning of turbos, and 1998 grooved tyres and narrower track, in both cases Mclaren dominated.

Welcome aboard !

You'll get a better response if your topic is labelled with the subject under discussion - in this case something like V8 changes - one team to dominate?

Happy posting

Hey and welcome aboard! I hope you dont mind I altered the topic title a bit to get a better response.. :)

Anyway, I think the V8 will be the most interesting thing about 2006. Definitely, some teams might surprise due to a better V8, and it might hurt some teams. For example, Mercedes had enough trouble providing Mclaren a reliable V10, and now they've had to design in a whole new dimension to manufacture a V8.. I see a lot of the engines blowing up.

On the flip side, I think Williams will definitely benefit from the Cosworth engine deal, since the Cosworth tradition is mostly based around V8's. The team itself won't dominate due to other problems, but I'm convinced that they'll be right up there in terms of the engine.

But we can't know until the season starts.. not long anymore! :D

:welcome: Dan!

I don't think the introduction of V8s will upset the apple cart too much in terms of performance differentials. It will be reliability that is at a premium and I don't think McLaren have that at the moment.

welcome dan :)

i think you can expect one thing this year on present form, and that is that it won't be mclrean benefitting from the new engine regs! they could have a super chassis, but with their engines popping like popcorn in pre-season testing i think that's highly unlikely right now. see mercedes engine commemoration thread ;)

I think every year theres the possibilityof 1 team dominating, and we never really know who is where til the season begins - we can only hope that all the top teams have designed brilliant cars and we have a competitive title fight

I Think the V8's along with chassis built around them, have made this a real wildcard season.

We have some teams looking very competitive, so reliability will be Key in the championship run, along with race strategy.

Don't be surprised to see Williams and BMW mixing it up with the chosen front runners.

It couldn't be..........??

No...Bajo wouldnt get here masked... :ninja:

welcome Dan!

Good Riddance bajo39 - you shall not be missed :rip:
:nono1:

dont talk of someone who isnt a "regular" anymore.talk as much " rubbish" about those who can reply,but not about those who are not regular anymore

Some of the time I was, when there was a boring race on he sometimes had interesting things to say, but not at other times. An example was at Suzuka in 1991 when Senna and Mansell were battling for second place and Mansell went off at turn one, which gave Senna the championship. James said 'What a sad way to end the championship battle'.

I bet if Senna had gone off James and Murray would have been saying,'What a fantastic turnaround in the championship'. Their bias for the British drivers sometimes irked me a little.

I think the V8's will suit some drivers moreso than others. Already we've heard alot of the drivers, mostly the younger ones saying they have to change their styles to adapt, whilst other drivers, JV among them saying it is well suited to their style and they need to adapt to nothing, so we may see some drivers and teams who aren't regularly at the top, fight for points and podiums. Whoever is able to adapt their style best to the requirements of the V8 will be in for a good year.

Good Riddance bajo39 - you shall not be missed :rip:

Amen !

:nono1:

dont talk of someone who isnt a "regular" anymore.talk as much " rubbish" about those who can reply,but not about those who are not regular anymore

I don't think rubbish should be spoken about anyone, except those really deserving it :lol:

Interesting comments from Villenueve regarding the V8

Villeneuve: ''Last year after two laps in the Sauber C25 I already knew it was going to be a difficult season. This year that's quite different, I think we're going to have a lot of fun in 2006.''

''I can brake where-ever I want, towards the apex if you like. The difference with last year really is big, the pleasure to drive has come back. It's very interesting to again find the limit.''

''The V8 has another effect on driver aids as well. You hardly ever lock up you're tyres anymore under braking and the driver aids have a much smaller role. That is only positive for me as these kind of things only hamper my freedom. Watching the telemetrie at the end of the first testday we could clearly see I hardly used the driver aids anymore. It's like real racing has come back.''

''I think 2006 can become a good year for me. I feel it, and now it's up to me to get the maximum out of it. Like I really pay back BMW for the confidence they gave me. I can't do more than that and afterwards we'll see whether or not my performances were good enough to stay at BMW.''

Personally I am not as pessimistic as I was earlier, after all it would be hard to have less overtaking than 2005 wouldn't it, though mercedes aer still around :naughty:

where did you get those quotes from Cav? The part you have highlighted in bold really makes me proud of the guy and further emphasises my point that he is a racer from the 'old school'.