Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TotalF1 Jens

Prophet Muhammad Controversy

I'm sure you all know about the controversy and protests going on about the cartoons of Prophet Muhammad. What's your take?

I personally think the entire thing has been blown way out of proportion, which is obvious. I think it was right of Jyllands-Posten (the paper that originally printed the cartoons) to apologise after the dismay it caused amongst Muslims. I support the Danish and other governments of Europe 100% in their political stance of supporting free speech, as they have done nothing wrong. I put blame on the authoritarian governments in the Middle East for letting the situation escalate.

The whole thing's a remarkable joke. Have any of you actually seen the pictures? Google them up if you wish. Having seen them, I simply support my earlier stance even more. They're not really that special.

I'm sure you all know about the controversy and protests going on about the cartoons of Prophet Muhammad. What's your take?

I personally think the entire thing has been blown way out of proportion, which is obvious. I think it was right of Jyllands-Posten (the paper that originally printed the cartoons) to apologise after the dismay it caused amongst Muslims. I support the Danish and other governments of Europe 100% in their political stance of supporting free speech, as they have done nothing wrong. I put blame on the authoritarian governments in the Middle East for letting the situation escalate.

The whole thing's a remarkable joke. Have any of you actually seen the pictures? Google them up if you wish. Having seen them, I simply support my earlier stance even more. They're not really that special.

Hey don't call me french frog because I'll burn down your Embassy! Makes sense no?

What a joke! :boxing::the_finger::blackflag::binladen:

Y'know, I am really, really happy to be an atheist. No hang ups, no guilt complex, no overwhelming urge to blow things up, no hand wringing or gnashing of teeth. It's not nearly as boring as it sounds, I promise.

Its clear to me now that Islam is all about killing. Muslims don't give a damn about the families of those innocent people who die

EDIT:// The views expressed herein are not necessarily those held by TotalF1.com blablabla :) Don't generalise too much though, mate. I'm sure we have members of the muslim faith here at the forums as well.

That's way too harsh Jem. You can't tar all followers of a faith with the same brush, otherwise you'd be thinking that all Christians do all day is burn witches and lay seige to Jerusalem.

As with all faiths, you have a (relatively small) bunch of psychotic zealots who want to impose their own version of that faith on rest of the world. Happens all the time.

Y'know, I am really, really happy to be an atheist. No hang ups, no guilt complex, no overwhelming urge to blow things up, no hand wringing or gnashing of teeth. It's not nearly as boring as it sounds, I promise.

Glad to count myself among the faithless as well monza.......

Its clear to me now that Islam is all about killing. Muslims don't give a damn about the families of those innocent people who die

Jem, that type of intolerance and ignorance tends to suggest you have more in common in with the zealots you criticize, not less. As Monza has quite correctly pointed out, there are extremists in every faith, culture, group, etc., and it is not fair to characterize all muslims based on the actions of these radicals. Remember that you are dealing with people who percieve (perhaps fairly) that the West (read the US) has declared war, not so much on Iraq or Afghanistan, but rather on their way of life and system of government. I'm not suggesting for a moment that these extremists are in any way justified in their reaction to what is no more than a cartoon, but by the same token, if we want to maintain any credibility in our criticism of them, we must maintain a more tolerant and liberal view.

I apologise. I exaggerated without meaning to - but I'm surprised that such a little thing caused such an uproar, and that the muslims' reaction is to threaten all of europe with terrorism. It seemed that if anyone even slightly offends the muslim faith or muhammad or allah or whatever, the muslim thing to do is bomb innocent people. Although I appreciate that most muslims are peaceful

BTW, if you ask me, this is a far more, errrr....... "entertaining" caricature........

burkaburka_hubba_hubba_1.jpg

though, having said that, I support without reservation the right of any newspaper to publish any image it chooses.

I know, I know, just more of our western depravity......

BTW, if you ask me, this is a far more, errrr....... "entertaining" caricature........

burkaburka_hubba_hubba_1.jpg

though, having said that, I support without reservation the right of any newspaper to publish any image it chooses.

I know, I know, just more of our western depravity......

Well, I can declare that I am thoroughly entertained, Jay! :lol:

Glad to hear your an atheist like myself Monza. :)

Oh and ive said all ive had to say on this topic.

If they keep threatening to bomb us etc then i can easily see the BNP becoming frightingly popular soon! :(

indeed. what the protesters were sayong was far far worse than any cartoon, they are sick b#####ds!

Wait til you burn in hell my friend. Then you'll regret your foolish human confidence. (Btw I forgive you your blasphemy of course, whether God can is another matter.)

Glad to count myself among the faithless as well monza.......

So an agnostic then? Another liberal sitting on the fence perhaps... The big man (and he is a man you know) will soon sort you out too.

Jem, that type of intolerance and ignorance tends to suggest you have more in common in with the zealots you criticize, not less.

Hmm. Even if Jem hadn't (wisely) appologised I think it'd be a close call that. Has he threatened to blow anyone up recently? (If so I humbly retract this comment and beg forgiveness from you Jem.) The response has been quite funny though. Many people like Jem who would probably have thought the cartoons ridiculous before have been persuaded of the supposed "violence of Islam". The zealots might as well have literally shot themselves in the foot.

Well, I can declare that I am thoroughly entertained, Jay! :lol:

Indeed! I think Jay might have to join you though now Monza. You can burn together for eternity.

Yes Ben, Geordie. I'm extremely surprised its legal to say such things. Does the proposed law against incitement to religious hatred include protection for atheists?

Total over reaction to the comic.

And they should lock up these ****ing scum:

060206_wp_london_protest_hmed9p.hmedium.jpg

Hey they want to live in the stoneage.....................let-em........................****-em if they can't take a joke!

this topic has already been discussed in great detail in this thread :)

http://www.totalf1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5282&st=60

...........and your point is??????????????????? That topic is exam time......................

Hey they want to live in the stoneage.....................let-em........................****-em if they can't take a joke!

...........and your point is??????????????????? That topic is exam time......................

let it be exam time or Fu**zam time,the topic has been discussed elaborately and done to death

let it be exam time or Fu**zam time,the topic has been discussed elaborately and done to death

Temper, temper, child :nono1:

Temper, temper, child

look at your self "old man"

look at your self "old man"

:cheers::roll:

Eh? I barely started on it. :king:

er ahem (clears throat)

<pompous voice>

Let me first declared my allegiance to the principle of atheism.

Let us first separate two kinds of reactions.

The first has been a violent reaction by selected muslims, mainly fanatical idiots leading disillusioned young men (sadly available for any crazy cause in just about every country in the world). Their actions deserve universal condemnation.

However there has also ben a strong reaction from Muslim intellectuals, from the muslim community in secular countries. That I feel deserves some consideration.

Let us take the incident first. Those cartoons are of no artistic value, they are not subtle or perceptive in any sense. Coupled with the known right wing nature of the newspaper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands_Posten) it is obvious that the cartoons were published as an affront to Islam. It was a none too subtle anti-Islam message and quite a poor example of journalism. They were provocative, and only that. It may be defended on the principle on free speech, however free speech in the holy grail sense does not exist in most places (if any). Take the example of embedded journalists in Iraq. In recent times, there have been many incidents that I know of of the Hindu community in the West getting messages 'offensive' to Hinduism removed from various places - the newest such cause it a Whisky with the image of some goddess being sold somewere in the world. Obviously I find that opposition quite ridiculous, however the fact that people listen to these objections (most such protests from Hindus have been successful) means that followers of Islam have the right to peaceful protest like any other religion. That is a principle of secularism, and in necessary since religion can't just be wished away. What also cannot be ignored is the larger disillusionment in many Muslim countries with the foreign policy of the NATO countries throughout this century, and that is directly responsible for the perception of the west being anti Islam. Since the west is atleast partially responsible for that perception, it has no reason to display surprise at the present reaction, and such pointless insults should be stopped simply in the larger interest. Defend Salman Rushdie by all means, oppose the murder of Theo van Gogh, but these cartoons aren't very defensible.

And please, I've said this before, refrain from generalisations about a billion people.

It would be good to have a Muslim voice (preferably reasonable :P ) on this forum :unsure: .

It would be good to have a Muslim voice (preferably reasonable :P ) on this forum :unsure: .

Excellent idea.