Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Mercedes Engine Is The Least Powerful On The Grid

Mercedes engine is the least powerful on the grid

PF1

McLaren could be losing as much as 35bhp to their Cosworth-powered rivals ahead of the new season with their Mercedes engine reputedly the weakest on the grid.

According to a specially-commissioned survey for F1-Racing magazine, Cosworth have been packing the heaviest punch in winter testing despite being the only privateer engine builder on the grid.

While Mercedes' 2.4 V8 engine is estimated to be revving a maximum of just 710bhp, Cosworth's is apparently reaching 745bhp, with Ferrari and Honda at 730bhp.

The unreliability of the Mercedes engine was the principal factor in McLaren

I think that survey was done before mercedes made the upgrade version. The upgrade packed (according to mercedes...) around 50 bhp more so that would actually make it one of the most powerful engines one the grid. Hopefully they can make it reliable as well.

Welcome Paolo! Or xzibit31, as you may prefer? I hope you enjoy visiting us here! :D

Welcome to the forums Paolo.

As for the engines, I don't think Valencia is the right track to judge how strong in terms of horsepower an engine is as it is very twisty. I don't think it's at the top of the engine stakes, but it's an improvement over the initial version.

Hullo Paolo, nice to have someone from the Philippines.

TS says Kimi was turning his revs up for short stints yesterday. I certainly hope so :(:rolleyes2:

thanks for the warm welcome...

i was browsing the forum this afternoon...i feel and think that there is an anti mclaren sentiment here.... :)

am i right? hehehehehe

i was browsing the forum this afternoon...i feel and think that there is an anti mclaren sentiment here.... :)

am i right? hehehehehe

Not really, just me :P

Plenty of Mclaren fans around actually.

am i right? hehehehehe

Oh No!...not at all!... :D

Die Mercedes, Die!....

And by the way...welcome to the forum! :)

hi there guys..its my first time posting here..i am paolo and i am from davao city philippines....

Welcome Paolo!!!!!

your post is regarding testing,so from now on it would be appreciated if you post everything regarding winter testing here.....

Hi Narain - got a question....... Paolo's post wasn't off topic, so isn't it okay to refer to testing in adding to a thread about McLaren being behind the others on engine power??? I'll admit - I'm not nearly as familiar with the 'posting etiquette' around here as some, and I could easily see myself doing exactly what Paolo did.

Welcome Paolo!!!!!

Hi Narain - got a question....... Paolo's post wasn't off topic, so isn't it okay to refer to testing in adding to a thread about McLaren being behind the others on engine power??? I'll admit - I'm not nearly as familiar with the 'posting etiquette' around here as some, and I could easily see myself doing exactly what Paolo did.

i didnt tell him to edit his post or anything,jst requested to post in the testing thread in the future,

BTW,raikonnen on fire at valencia has got nothing to do with the mercedes engine :rolleyes2:

i didnt tell him to edit his post or anything,jst requested to post in the testing thread in the future,

BTW,raikonnen on fire at valencia has got nothing to do with the mercedes engine :rolleyes2:

No, don't get me wrong Narain, I'm not criticizing you - it's a sincere question. I would have done the same thing as Paolo (I'm not entirely clear on the guidelines of when and where things should be posted).

As for KR's speed at Valencia - it's not like it says absolutely nothing about the power of the Merc engine. His performance is surely the combination of a number of factors (including the overall efficiency of the McLaren 'package' - which like it or not includes the engine) - and it's safe to say that it has not been the only low fuel run at that track in '06, yet it is a half second better than anyone else's effort so far!!

Hi to everyone again. Is not new that Mercedes engines are not reliable and of course I think - maybe I`m wrong- doesnt have the experience with V8. In the early nineties you have cars like Ferrari that used V12, (Williams) Renault used V10 and (Benetton) Ford used V8. After a time, everybody used V10 in their cars.

Maybe they built a less powerful engine to test the structure and study components and parts of the new engine. And of course, is not only a less powerful engine, also a unrealiable engine. Norbert Haug already said that the Mercedes development program is not at the stage they want.

So Keep Walking Kimmi and Juan Pablo or maybe use an scooter.

B)

No, don't get me wrong Narain, I'm not criticizing you - it's a sincere question. I would have done the same thing as Paolo (I'm not entirely clear on the guidelines of when and where things should be posted).

Post where you like! If it's in the wrong place our lovely fluffy mods will move it for you :D

The only real no no is to duplicate a topic. Narain Fan will bite you on the ankles if you do that!

i posted that news not because of the winter testing topic. i posted that topic to show that maybe the new merc engine is an improvement and maybe becasue it is a reliable one already.

i have been a mac-merc fan since the time of hakkinen-coulthard (this was the time i started watching the races on tv) and i will always be. :D

i do agree that they have been unrealiable most of the time. but hey, they were fighting for the wdc and cc last year and kimi was 2 points shy being wdc in 2003 ( still with an inferior car). :king:

so i wont discount that fact that with an unreliable and inferior car, they will still be fighting for both championships. IMHO. :clap3:

go kimi go!!! :flex::flex:

Of course, Mercedes fought the constructors title, but if you are fan of Mercedes since Hakkinen and Coulthard, you can`t deny that since that years to this time Mercedes hasnt develope a strong engine program that can make it realible and powerful.

Always is the same story. But last year with the new rules Mercedes suffered and a lot. If not, ask poor Kimi, who many times he started in the back of the grid for changing engine?

In the last eighties and early nineties Honda was a strong engine, of course failed too. But there is more much technology since that years. Renault always have been a strong engine. Only a couple of times in Williams era, Renault failed. And now, with it`s own team is the same thing.

i agree with you. but still, even with that scenario ( unrealiable and inferior car ), they are still fighting for the wdc and cc.

maybe its just the way it is.

or maybe merc is doing this on purpose so that they can put up their own team (buying out mac or putting their own team)

but still no one should take merc-mac for granted or any other team for that matter.

in this sport, money and resources are still the name of the game. IMHO. :)

Hmm. I sort of agree with you. When it works it's brilliant, but unfortunately it doesn't work very often.

It's easy to throw money at a problem. It's not easy to make the problem go away, though. Those on smaller budgets tend to be more inventive and make more use of their limited resources. Or I may be completely wrong, which is not unheard of.

i agree with you. but still, even with that scenario ( unrealiable and inferior car ), they are still fighting for the wdc and cc.

do you mean to say that by virtue of being unreliable the car is "inferior",because if you still feel that the car on the basis of "pace" and performance was inferior (except for 1/2 season) then i am afraid you are wrong :)

im sorry..i meant the engine not the car... :)

the car itself was not inferior. IMHO, i think they had the best chassis last year. only the engine was unreliable and inferior to the rest.

but in the case of the 2003 season, the car and engine itself was inferior. they had a year old chassis coupled with an unrelaible engine. but still kimi challenged for the wdc.

Mclaren - with the weakest engine??? That's a whole lot of ****!!!

Let's just sit back and let the people in Woking do what they do best...

Don't you think all those critics should be scared that Mclaren could set the pace even though they have what they call the "weakest" engine out there?

Imagine what more can they do with a dozen or so more ponnies...

:icon2_flag: