Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Ferrari Engine Having Reliability Problems

Last year i would have been really happy about this but now my favourite team is being powered by a Ferrari V8.

Red Bull Racing's new Ferrari engine deal is a semi-works arrangement, according to owner Dietrich Mateschitz.

The Austrian billionaire told 'Salzburger Nachrichten' that the fee paid to Ferrari for this year's 2.4 litre V8 engine includes the provision of every development update received by the works team.

'So we will always have the most up to date configuration,' Mateschitz told the 'paper.

According to this, Red Bull have the same engine as the Ferrari car, something that is contradicted in the thread titled Red Bull info
Red Bull struggled through a difficult winter, according to veteran racer David Coulthard.

In an interview with the 'Sunday Herald', the 34-year-old Scot confirmed that the Milton-Keynes based team will attack the Bahrain opener this weekend without a single race distance on the unreliable 'RB2' car.

Coulthard said: 'It's not been going the way we wanted.

'If we finish the race in Bahrain, that will be the first race distance we have completed.

'However, in 1998 (McLaren) had not completed a single race distance yet we lapped the field in Melbourne.'

Red Bull's departing technical director, Gunther Steiner, agrees with Coulthard, telling the 'APA' agency that the RB2 has not 'come as far as we would have liked' in the winter period.

'We had engine overheating problems,' Steiner said, referring to the new Ferrari V8 unit.

Red Bull's junior team - Scuderia Toro Rosso - could upstage its mammoth-budget sister in Bahrain this weekend.

That is Dietrich Mateschitz's warning, as the duel team-owner contemplates Red Bull Racing's problems heading into its second year.

With RBR's overheating and unreliable Ferrari V8, the Austrian billionaire said Toro Rosso's tried and tested - and controversial - Cosworth V10 is sure to be an initial 'advantage'.

'(Toro Rosso) will not have (engine) reliability problems,' Mateschitz predicted in an interview with the 'Salzburger Nachrichten' newspaper.

He said: 'However, with some time, the V8 will become strong and more reliable, and we will reclaim the advantage.

'But at the very start, Toro Rosso perhaps have a better chance to score points than does Red Bull,' said Dietrich Mateschitz.

He described the new Red Bull as a 'tidy car' designed by Mark Smith.

But when musing the customer Ferrari V8, Mateschitz pointed to reliability concerns, and warned that the unit's full potential will perhaps not yet be seen.

And he added: 'I think a lot of teams may be having engine problems early on. Perhaps the new Cosworth will be best!'

Just four days prior to opening practice in Bahrain, Christian Klien has suggested that Ferrari is still grappling with car problems.

The Austrian, a race driver for the so far unreliable Red Bull team, suggested that Ferrari had similar engine overheating glitches in the winter period.

Last year i would have been really happy about this but now my favourite team is being powered by a Ferrari V8.

According to this, Red Bull have the same engine as the Ferrari car, something that is contradicted in the thread titled Red Bull info

I think that either Ferrari have given Red Bull a dodgy engine or Ferrari is having reliability problems with all their engines which will effect them as well. I havent been watching Ferrari closely over testing but i have noticed that they lost quite alot of engines while testing in Bahrain.

It is the first V8 Ferrari built last how many years? I guess it takes time for them to master it and problem for RBR might also be different interim than Ferrari. Engine might require some place room where RBR chasing wont allow or stuff like that?

I belive quiet alot of teams will have some relibbility problems so some kind at the begining of the season until they master the v8s

Red Bull ****ed up the cooling. Accept it instead of trying to find lame excuses of the Ferrari supplying dodgy engines kind. You know they can go to court if that happened. Ferrari have done race simulations. I read somewhere that the Red Bull guy (Mark Smith) made a 30 degree mistake in the cooling calculations.

Klien is deraming, Ferrari have not had the same problems. What gave you the idea that Ferrari changed 'a lot' of engines in Bahrain??

Try to look beyond your blind Ferrari hate for a minute, it must be hard being a DC loving Ferrari hater right now :lol:

I haven't seen any major reliability issues coming from the Ferrari camp, so I think these are Red Bull's own problems. I hope they'll get them sorted, but Bahrain is a nice tough heat challenge to cope with at the very opening of the season, if problems like these exist beforehand.

Reliability has been good for Ferrari, so I agree, Red Bull is the c#ck-up here..

yea its just weird imagining ferrari having reliability issues, they are the kings of reliability

Indeed

i have a feeling the RBR guys are just too stupid to follow the manual, does ferrari now have to make it like an ikea instruction manual?

RBR enginers talking:

"Hey Jim, what happened is i throw this bolt in the engin?"

"Dont know Bob, let see."

30 mins later on track

"Ah, so thats what happened Jim"

"Lets test a screw driver next time Bob."

i have a feeling the RBR guys are just too stupid to follow the manual, does ferrari now have to make it like an ikea instruction manual?

RBR enginers talking:

"Hey Jim, what happened is i throw this bolt in the engin?"

"Dont know Bob, let see."

30 mins later on track

"Ah, so thats what happened Jim"

"Lets test a screw driver next time Bob."

rememeber sauber? they never had problem with their ferrari eggines in reliability department however they they did seem 2 lack power, once nk overtook jv on grass! actually am not a ferrari fan but i am sure about their reliability. the cooling problems may be due to tighter chassis or engine cover which might not allow the proper air circulation, or could it be due to aerodynamic problems? could it be thet redbull is using more than required amount of downforce and over cooking the engine?

B) Indeed, I have no problems with the Ferrari lumps and they will prove to be the most reliable on the grid........

B) Indeed, I have no problems with the Ferrari lumps and they will prove to be the most reliable on the grid........

I agree...RBR, from the sound of it, have designed radiator ducting too small when trying to minimize frontal area on the car..with Newey and Ferrari Engines all they need is some good drivers now!

RBR screwed up the cooling, but Ferrari themselves have also been dogged with reliability problems over the winter, but not with the engine as with RBR.

rememeber sauber? they never had problem with their ferrari eggines in reliability department however they they did seem 2 lack power, once nk overtook jv on grass! actually am not a ferrari fan but i am sure about their reliability. the cooling problems may be due to tighter chassis or engine cover which might not allow the proper air circulation, or could it be due to aerodynamic problems? could it be thet redbull is using more than required amount of downforce and over cooking the engine?

Sauber were given older spec Ferrari engines, RBR get the latest spec, pretty asure they're paying more too.

Sauber were given older spec Ferrari engines, RBR get the latest spec, pretty asure they're paying more too.

yeah...heard it

they shud have sticked with cosworth.....then it would have been fantastic to watch the difference in performance between rbr and williams..we all saw the difference in performance between ferrari and sauber during past years....it will be the same with redbull

Red Bull ****ed up the cooling. Accept it instead of trying to find lame excuses of the Ferrari supplying dodgy engines kind. You know they can go to court if that happened. Ferrari have done race simulations.

Klien is deraming, Ferrari have not had the same problems. What gave you the idea that Ferrari changed 'a lot' of engines in Bahrain??

Felipe Massa has expressed his disappointment at the 10-place engine penalty that he faces in only his second race with Ferrari.

Although he finished the Bahrain GP post race checks revealed a failure in his engine. Massa spent over 40 seconds at rest in the team

Ok so that killed your theory of Ferrari supplying inferior engines.

and DC is talking BS when he says he could have stopped if he had known that the engine was going to fail. Even if he had stopped 3 laps earlier, he would still have been classified.

Ok so that killed your theory of Ferrari supplying inferior engines.

It also killed your theory that it was Red Bull's problem and not Ferrari's.

no I said Ferrari did not have the same problems as RB in pre season testing, and I still havent found any proof that they did.

no I said Ferrari did not have the same problems as RB in pre season testing, and I still havent found any proof that they did.

Both Massa and Coulthard had exactly the same engine problem.

SCHUMACHER TO CHANGE ENGINE TOO?

Ferrari driver Michael Schumacher was expecting his engine to be completely fine. His team mate, Felipe Massa, had to change his engine already as it would probably not last until the end of the race in Malaysia. After Friday's practice Schumacher got doubts about his engine too.

"It could be possible that we have to change our engine, but we hope we don't have to take these actions. On Saturday evening we will know more

:( Indeed not good, turn up the wick for quali to get the highest position and then I say change Schumis engine after quali.