Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

The Biggest Problem Was Villeneuve, He Was The Most Difficult Guy To Overtake

Kimi, you made up eight places on the first lap; do you remember any of them? "Yes, in the first corner I got quite a few around the outside, and then people were really going too quickly into turn four, and they were sliding around and I got a few places there but the car was good, even though we were much heavier than the guys in front of us. The biggest problem was Villeneuve, he was the most difficult guy to overtake because I was hitting the rev limiter in seventh gear in a straight line so whenever I got close I was not able to pass him. But then finally I got close enough and got him under braking so that was very good. But the car has been good all weekend really so it was a bit disappointing what happened yesterday. But at least we got six points, so we didn’t drop too many points behind the two guys in front of me. There are many races to go and we seem to have good speed and the car is working, so maybe we can see what we can do." http://www.f1technical.net/news/2119

:( Poor JV his engine letting go was one of the most spectacular in ages, a real bomb!!!

JV has always been difficult to overtake. I remember back in San Marino in 1999 when JV managed to get ahead of MS at the start of the race and JV was a good second slower than MS but MS couldnt pass him, this went on for half the race and MS only got past when Villeneuve pitted. By that stage MS was a good 25 seconds behind both McLarens.

Really is not new that is very hard to overtake Jacques. He drove well, he was in front of Heidfield, but the blow engine was not his fault. Better luck in Malaysia, we hope.

Really is not new that is very hard to overtake Jacques. He drove well, he was in front of Heidfield, but the blow engine was not his fault. Better luck in Malaysia, we hope.

I agree.

JV looks different this season. Hope, atleast once, he ends up in podium.

JV looks different this season. Hope, atleast once, he ends up in podium.

It is still early to judge BMW i'd say but atleast consistent points will be nice

Well good for JV. When he is racing for position he has every right to make it difficult for the man behind him to pass. That is what he gets paid for.

A very glowing testimony by KR on the ability of JV in a decent car.

I just wish there was something else to take out of this race for us JV fans. The team is positive and the car looks for real. With some better luck they will have some opportunity to get some good results this year.

I'm pleased to hear this about my favourite driver from someone I rate very very highly.

I disagree YHR as I think we can take alot of positives out of JV's race weekend. Sure, the end result was a massive letdown, but JV was very quick all weekend (Friday really doesn't count anymore). He messed up abit in quali but his race pace was good. He was staying in front of Kimi for a long time and held pace with Klein. He made a very good start, got ahead of Nick and had the better race pace of the two, setting the fastest fastest lap of the two. This is a far cry from this time last year when he was a second slower than his teammate and a step or two behind the car.

Well the first race has passed and I see no sign of the British press calling for JV's head or massive headlines discussing [enter driver name here] will replace him. I hope they're not getting lazy on me now :lol:

JV has always been difficult to overtake. I remember back in San Marino in 1999 when JV managed to get ahead of MS at the start of the race and JV was a good second slower than MS but MS couldnt pass him, this went on for half the race and MS only got past when Villeneuve pitted. By that stage MS was a good 25 seconds behind both McLarens.

He did that alot in 1999 and 2000, he was a real pest to the big teams as his starts were mega. That race you mention was actually in Spain. He did the same thing to Michael in Silverstone in 2000 and raced with Rubens and Mika for over 30 laps in Canada that year.

Kimi could have done better i belive if he coud have passed JV. But he was just to difficult to pass shame he blow up. But it was spectacular

I'm pleased to hear this about my favourite driver from someone I rate very very highly.

I disagree YHR as I think we can take alot of positives out of JV's race weekend. Sure, the end result was a massive letdown, but JV was very quick all weekend (Friday really doesn't count anymore). He messed up abit in quali but his race pace was good. He was staying in front of Kimi for a long time and held pace with Klein. He made a very good start, got ahead of Nick and had the better race pace of the two, setting the fastest fastest lap of the two. This is a far cry from this time last year when he was a second slower than his teammate and a step or two behind the car.

Well the first race has passed and I see no sign of the British press calling for JV's head or massive headlines discussing [enter driver name here] will replace him. I hope they're not getting lazy on me now :lol:

He did that alot in 1999 and 2000, he was a real pest to the big teams as his starts were mega. That race you mention was actually in Spain. He did the same thing to Michael in Silverstone in 2000 and raced with Rubens and Mika for over 30 laps in Canada that year.

Well not much to disagree on really. I alluded to the fact the car looked for real. Bottom line is no points and a 10 grid spot penalty for Malaysia because of the blown motor, and he got out qualified by NH. The rest of the stuff you mention is what I would expect from JV in this no excuse year. I suppose I am happy that JV is living up to my expectations, because if he wasn't then this would be his last year in F1.

KR comments say a lot about JV. Give him a decent car and he can drive it to perfection.

I still wish there were more positives to take away from this race, but as you mentioned, it beats the heck out of the British press claiming JV will be replaced by some Brit driver, or Martin Brundle saying he is"well past it".

10 grid spot penalty for Malaysia because of the blown motor,

do u ever bother to get your facts right .

Rubbish, Jv has no penalty ...

I'm really happy that Jv is there, some misfortune but that's motorracing , he was great but i'm not surprised at all, i know and i always knew he's one of the best out there.

all i hope fpor now is that BMW can improve a bit more even i think they are equal to Williams maybe williams a bit ahead but they are there.

cheers and good luck JV this year is gonna be a pleasure watching you....

Yeah JV had a good race until the big boom.

He messed up abit in quali
I'm not so sure he did.

Remember that the way this qualifying works is that you can run whatever fuel levels you want until the final session when you have to put in race fuel. JV ended up going six laps further in the race than Heidfeld on race fuel. JV's qualifying time from session 2 was a second and a half faster than Heidfeld's final qualifying time. And his race pace was minutely quicker than NH until the blowup.

I'm thinking that NH was sent out REALLY light in session 2 to post a flier.

I'm also wondering if it's going to be a strategy to be eleventh and able to pick your fuel load 90 minutes prior to the race instead of tenth but having to pick the day before.

Are you JV fans on a fantasy cloud??? Kimi isnt even hinting that the difficulty in overtaking was a credit to JV's driving; he's saying that the rev limiter was hindering him on the straights, how is that complimenting JV?

Are you JV fans on a fantasy cloud??? Kimi isnt even hinting that the difficulty in overtaking was a credit to JV's driving; he's saying that the rev limiter was hindering him on the straights, how is that complimenting JV?
do u even know anything about f1

a hell of a lot more than you by the looks of it. Kimi didnt have enough speed on the straight to get a good run at JV, cos of his rev limiter. It has nothing to do with JV's skills

It could also be down to JV picking his breaking/accelerating points perfectly in slow & fast corners.

It could also be down to JV picking his breaking/accelerating points perfectly in slow & fast corners.
relief!! someone talks sense,finally

do u ever bother to get your facts right .

Rubbish, Jv has no penalty ...

Narain, I'm not so sure, I've read reports that both he and DC will suffer 10 spot grid penalties at Sepang due to engine failures at Bahrain.....

Narain, I'm not so sure, I've read reports that both he and DC will suffer 10 spot grid penalties at Sepang due to engine failures at Bahrain.....
:coolio:

u heard it here .Jv gets a frest engine,no penalty :coolio:

:eusa_think: Down to JV picking his braking points? If it were a compliment, which it isnt so please stop this nonsense, it would be a compliment to the BMW engine as Kimi wasnt able to get close enough on the straights.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JV'S DRIVING I'm saying this from a neutral basis, I'm not pro-jv or anti-jv, but I'm confused as to why you think kimi is giving credit to jv!!!

JV surely cant get a grid penalty, that must be false info.

:eusa_think: Down to JV picking his braking points? If it were a compliment, which it isnt so please stop this nonsense, it would be a compliment to the BMW engine as Kimi wasnt able to get close enough on the straights.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JV'S DRIVING

:huh: how did he pass nick quite easily....

seriously mate .there is more to life than being anti Jv ,when kimi was asked the specific question about having any "memorable overtaking moments" he mentions this

"

Biggest Problem Was Villeneuve, He Was The Most Difficult Guy To Overtake"

"But then finally I got close enough and got him under braking so that was very good"

JV surely cant get a grid penalty, that must be false info.

I'm not saying that this is correct, but here is the source........

(GMM) David Coulthard will start Sunday's Malaysian grand prix from near the back of the grid after his Ferrari V8 blew on the slowing down lap in Bahrain. ''Even if I get pole in Malaysia I will start 11th,'' said the Scot, whose Red Bull team neglected to mention the detail in its post-grand prix press review.

Failing to get a single engine through two complete race weekends results in a ten-position qualifying penalty at the next event.

BMW Sauber's Jacques Villeneuve will also start 10 places back in Sepang, after his V8 expired spectacularly without warning in Bahrain. It is now the subject of an analysis back in Munich.

and a link to the original story.....

http://www.formula-1.updatesport.com/news/...thard/view.html