Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristiano84

Speed Impresses On Debut

Scott Speed's Formula One debut began with a spectacular party and ended with a solid 13th-place finish in the Bahrain Grand Prix. Speed, from Manteca, Calif., became the first driver from the United States to race in a Grand Prix since Michael Andretti in 1993. While this race marked Speed's F1 debut, he had driven before on the Bahrain track. Last September, he raced in the GP2 series season finale at the track. And then he tested an interim version of his F1 car last month at the track.

"Having tested here in an F1 car certainly makes life a lot easier than if you haven't tested before," Speed said. "I think Montreal, Malaysia and Australia, tracks I do not know, will be a lot more difficult in terms of learning the track procedures, compared to Bahrain where I already have a bit of track experience. It's a big help."

On Friday, his first official day on the F1 tour, Speed set respectable times that put him in the middle of the practice pack.

"It sure feels a lot different coming here with the new car after we tested here with the old one," he said. "This one definitely handles differently. Everybody is seeing quite a lot of oversteer at the moment because the track is dirty."

On Saturday, Speed qualified 16th after making it through the first round of F1's new knockout qualifying system.

"I'm used to qualifying with all the other cars out on track at the same time," he said, "but all the same it did feel a bit different, this being F1, with a bit more pressure. The first part of the session went very well, although I got a bit held up at the end of it by Jacques (Villeneuve). Then, in the second part, the tire temperatures were not quite where we wanted them, and I got pulled in to the weigh bridge, which meant I didn't get a second run in. So, maybe we could have gone a bit quicker in the second part, but now we can play with the fuel load, which puts us in a strong position for the race."

Speed finished 13th his first Grand Prix. While his more experienced teammate, Vitantonio Liuzzi, finished 11th, Speed set the fastest race lap of the pair.

Not bad but far from impressive

If Rosberg goes on putting in such performances it would be difficult to speed to make an impression...but indeed he did a very good job considering he hasn't got a great mileage under his belt after all.I bet on him scoring one point finish this year at least

Not bad but far from impressive

I agree.

BTW, I still cant see how everyone is ranting about Rosbergs debut.. Fair enough he did score 2 points and get quickest lap but he also spun in Quali, Stuffed up at the start & got beaten by an aparently over-rated team mate.

Ive seen much better before.

I agree.

BTW, I still cant see how everyone is ranting about Rosbergs debut.. Fair enough he did score 2 points and get quickest lap but he also spun in Quali, Stuffed up at the start & got beaten by an aparently over-rated team mate.

I disagree here... True his weekend wasn

Yep. Webbo has got some competition this year as well as last. Could be interesting.

Yep. Webbo has got some competition this year as well as last. Could be interesting.

His reputation has faded fast. Rosbergs confidence can only grow from here on in.

I agree. Webbo has his work cut out. Question is, can he raise his game? I don't think so.

I agree. Webbo has his work cut out. Question is, can he raise his game? I don't think so.

It doesn't ook that way does it. He gives the impression of a driver who is is clinging to the perceived reputation he had, not one who is making a reputation.

Nico had an ultra impressive race at Sakhir,but he knew the track..I think he'll struggle to repeat himself in Sepang and Melbourne,with little time to learn the track down to the engine rule.but from Imola onwards he'll be again back on his succesful way

It doesn't ook that way does it. He gives the impression of a driver who is is clinging to the perceived reputation he had, not one who is making a reputation.

As a Webber fan I will defend his reputation. Just realise guys that it was the first race of the season. Yes Nico was very very impressive and will go onto great things in his career no doubt, but Webber is still an almighty quick driver. Having Nico as a team mate this year will spur Webber to new heights.

:unsure: How did he do well, driving around in a car which is faster than half the field and is more reliable than a Camry :unsure:

Its the Monteiro lovers all over again, he finished so he did well :wacko:

I am just happy that Speed did not do anything stupid and had a respectable drive. I hope as his experience grows so does he as a race car driver. He did not have a great race, but he stayed clear of the front runners, did not cause any accidents and was able to bring the car home a place or two higher than he started. Lets see if he can progress and we can evaluate him as "potential champion' or NK look alike in the mid season driver trashing thread. :D

Nico did do a great job, he set fastest lap after fastest lap, he passed folks and did not cause any of the experienced drivers to give him the NYC one finger wave. Bravo to him for a great race, and yes, watch out Mark, you need to pick yourself up a bit.

:unsure: How did he do well, driving around in a car which is faster than half the field and is more reliable than a Camry :unsure:

Its the Monteiro lovers all over again, he finished so he did well :wacko:

Comparing him with Monteiro is an offence.He did set the 9th fastest lap of the race just 2 tenths shy of McLaren Kimi Raikkonen and quicker of more experienced teammate Tonio Liuzzi.Not too bad since it was his debut race

Comparing him with Monteiro is an offence.He did set the 9th fastest lap of the race just 2 tenths shy of McLaren Kimi Raikkonen and quicker of more experienced teammate Tonio Liuzzi.Not too bad since it was his debut race

Yeah, you

I agree.

he did spin on track in quali but in the race it was heidfeld that ran into him(something he cant do anything about, and had he not fallen back to 22nd(still od to say that after so many years of only 20 cars)he would have beaten webber

Fastest Laps:

Nico Rosberg: 1'32.408

Michael Schumacher: 1'32.523

Fernando Alonso: 1'32.534

Mark Webber: 1'32.660

Jenson Button: 1'32.729

Felipe Massa: 1'32.739

Juan Pablo Montoya: 1'32.771

Kimi R

V10, but still, Liuzzi was the slowest of the four.

You know what I think of Liuzzi!

He scored just one point: at Imola 05 and only because both BAR cars were disqualified and Ralf Schumacher had 25 seconds added to his race time. Furthermore, several of the top drivers failed to finish i.e. Fisi, Kimi and Rubens.

Toro Rosso has a huge advantage: not only have they got good straight-line speed (no pun intended) but they should be ultra reliable as their engines are under little stress, unlike the V8s.

:D putting aside the v-10 vs. v-8 Speed didn't put a foot wrong in quali. or the race and improved on his starting position and didn't get in anyones way. The jury is out but at least so far so good..................