Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

2006 F1 Season - Round 1 - Bahrain

I hope you enjoy reading my following review for what was a very exciting GP. I will of course go through the whole weekend starting with...

Friday Practice...

Due to the new rules many of the 'top teams' kept their running limited, afterall reliability is still an issue for many teams and keeping running to a minimum means they would have a better chance of finishing both the Bahrain and Malaysian GP's. As per usual the set up duties were left for the test driver for the teams finishing outside the top 4 of the 2005 season and was a typical friday practice day. I wont bore with the details as there is a thread for this topic, but Davidson topped the day's timesheets underlining Honda's incredible turnaround from last years terrible season.

Sat Practice...

Button set the pace but there was a clear indication of the competativeness of the top 4 teams this year, and this was the first true indication that this season will be close.

Quali...

Well, now we are getting to the important stuff... The New Qualifying really was a big hit in my very humble, unbiased :naughty: opinion, and the first 15 min session ended the hopes for two major players, Ralf Schumacher and more importantly, Kimi Raikonnen who caused a red flag due to a suspension failure on his Mclaren (what a surprise :lol: ). Onto the second 15 mins now, again we see a couple more top drivers fall foul of the new system, Jarno Trulli (underlines a terrible weekend for toyota, whom have much work to do) and young Nico Rosberg who proved his potential in the race, but span in quali ending his chance to make it through to the pole shootout.

The last 20 min session was a little boring due to the drivers burning off fuel for the first 10 mins and then all hell broke loose. Both Honda's used 2 new sets of tyres, leaving only 1 set for the race (new of course) and also was the session Michael Schumacher finally equalled the GREAT Ayrton Senna's record of most pole positions. Though hot on his heels was the errartic Ferrari number 2 of Felipe Massa. Button was joined on the 2nd row by reigning WDC Fernando Alonso, both with very similar fuel loads, more than the Ferrari's ahead of them again highlighting the Honda and Renaults speed. On he 3rd row was Juan Montoya whom had a relatively quiet saturday drive, probably because he made a quck stop at the local burger bar to refuel. Joining him was the second Honda RA106 of Rubens Barrichello, who had so far been dominated by his far younger teamate. On the 4th row was Webber and Klien, both showing encouraging pace from the Williams and Red Bull. Making up the top 10 were Giancarlo Fisichella is the sister Renault and Young Nick Heidfeld, just beating his former WDC teamate.

The Race...

5...4...3...2...1... And the new season has now begun, and what an opening race...

Fernando Alonso started his season in style, winning a desert duel against the past master Michael Schumacher, who clearly is still very hungry (though he dosnt come close to JPM :naughty: ). Michael led the way from the first corner till the second round of pit stops, Fernando constantly hot on his heels, untill a superb pit stop by the Renault boys allowed Alonso to get out just infront of schumey, by the smallest fraction! And that was the race won for Fernando and Schuey was garanteed the runner-up spot, or ''first of the losers'' (according to Kimi). But it was the battles behind that made the race that much more exciting...

The sister Renault seemed to be continuing where it left off. Fisi retired after a Hydrolics failure which was a damn shame. He seems to be very unlucky really against alonso but sometimes it just works out like that. But although it was a terrible start for Renault's Fisichella, Alonso made it all better by winning the opening race. They proved here that their Winter Testing pace was def not a case of trying to impress and then being uncompetative where it counts.

Ferrari are back, and despite my ongoing hatred for them, I'm pleased they are as it makes for a more competative season, which isnt a bad thing now is it? Michael drove a brilliant race and highlighted the potential of the Ferrari 248. However like Renault, they didn't manage a great race for both cars. felipe Massa proved his worth, by almost taking out Alonso and flat spotting his bridgestones. I bet Ferrari were pleased with him for that! However when he came into the pits for a new set of tyres, ferrari made a rather massive c#ck up, costing Massa a further 40 seconds and ending his race pretty much. But I don't see Massa as a long-term driver, he's just acting as a seat warmer for Rossi no doubt, or even Kimi Raikonnen if Schuey dosnt leave. But whatever happens Massa will not be driving for ferrari in 2007.

Young Nico Rosberg making his Formula 1 debut really did make an impression, he is now one of only 4 men in F1 history to set the fastest lap of a race on his F1 debut, so we can safely say he is deffo one to look out for in the future, which Antonia had already told us B) . He made a super pass on David Coulthard and then gallopped into the distance, earning himself 2 points by coming 7th overall. Which considering he hit Nick Heidfeld at the first corner is no easy acheivement. Webbo too had a solid first race, finishing a place ahead of his rookie teamate and earning Williams F1 5 points in the first race, equal to Honda, my next case study.

Honda came to Bahrain having tested 3 weeks earlier with ferrari and Scuderia Toro Rosso, and were also one of the teams hought to win this race, howvere it just somehow didnt work right. Rubens Barrichello was dominated by Button all weekend and his race wasnt much better as he lost 3rd gear and came home a lonely 15th, 1 lap behind. Button too suffered a problematic clutch and failed to get off the line at the start and lost 3 places, which cost him a possible race win as he clearly showed the Honda's potential by coming home an eventual 4th, but just 20 seconds adrift. It was a shame to see this as Button would have been right in there with Alonso and Schumacher, but as it stood, he finished behind Kimi Raikonnen, not through any fault of his own, but Honda's race strategy (he came out into traffic after both pit stops which compromised a definate podium finish). He did however show his worth by making 2 stunning overtaking moves into the first corner against Juan 'ate all the pies' Montoya and also a battle with Rubens before he lost his 3rd gear, which Button won quite easily. I'm expecting them to be challenging for victory though from now on as they deffo are up there with the best, after all Honda will not stop until they are dominating a sport they so dearly love.

Now onto Mclaren Mercedes, which proved the same old story, fast but fragile. Raikonnen though was easily man of the race, having to start 22nd after his suspension failure in quali, he came home a very respectable 3rd (2 places ahead of fatso in the sister Mclaren) and clearly highlighted, unfortunantly, that he is champion material. Onto Fatso then, what the **** was he doing all afternoon, I think i counted him stopping at McDonalds 30 times during that race, clearly he runs out of fuel quickly. But seriously, he was very average and was completely outdone by the flying fin. 'nuff said there really. He needs to have a serious look at his career, and ask himself why he hasnt won more races or a championship as many are beginning to doubt his consistency and talent, yes hes quick, yes hes aggressive but he seems to be the new Trulli, incredible when it suits him, average when he cant be bothered.

Talking of Trulli, where on earth was Toyota this weekend? If they are serious of winning the championships anytime soon then there is much work to be done. They clearly have suffered the 'BAR' effect, a great season followed by one that looks like it will be a disaster. They have been someway off the pace all weekend, and were beaten by a number of team on far smaller budgets. The men back in Japan will want some answers, and to be honest i find this incredibly amusing as I am no Toyota fan and would rather see a team in the sport because they love F1, and not solely for the profit. Back to their weekend in the desert, their testing shows they really weren't sandbagging and are truly that slow!

Onwards and upwards then, we now enter BMW-Sauber territory. Unfortunantly for JV he suffered a rather spectaular engine failure but they had a respectable pace and showing and they should be able to finish the season with some solid points and good experience. Heidfeld had a troubled afternoon and to be honest, I wasn't paying all that much attention to them so I can't really say much. I hope they improve however as the season goes and they should have a good season. :)

Scuderia Toro Rosso's turn to come under the spotlight. Now I first want to get this off my chest. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO USE RESTRICTED V10's. This weekend proves why, they have gone from the worst F1 team to solid midfielder in less than 6 months, and their straightline speed was something else, Liuzzi even overtook the main RBR of Coulthard on the straight. Speed was ok, nothing special though, and Liuzzi, well, again he was nothing special. But a solid start to their season but I am no fan, if Super Mario Aguri have to use V8's then so should Toro Rosso. Also their livery is sickening - even more reason to hate them :lol:

MFI, I mean MF1 now, well, what I expected really, quite someway off the pace and I don't believe they understand how much effort it takes to succeed in F1. I don't have much to say as they were so Sh#t it was unbelieveable really, they havnt made any improvement whatsoever. I even think Super Aguri once they have their new car, will be finishing ahead of this joke of a team.

RBR are next, and firstly congratulations are in order. They have no completed a full race distance in the RB2. Klien was very impressive, even picking up the last point and having a solid afternoon. DC however was completely outdone by Klien this weekend, it just never went right for him, which is a shame but one the Newey factor kicks in I expect Red Bull Racing to be a very good team indeed.

Lastly, Super Aguri. Well what more is there to say, at least Sato finishe dthe race, albeit 4 laps down but still. I'm not happy that they are on the grid in 4 year old cars but I suppose it makes up the numbers. But they c#cked up their first pit stop, which was to be expected really. But these first races are going to prove difficult for them, and will provide a steep learning curve. But good luck to them, I may not like them and they may have the worst driver pairing for a long time, I would happily watch them beat MFI.

36137_1.jpg36165_1.jpg36172_1.jpg

36167_1.jpg36165_1.jpg36159_1.jpg

36160_1.jpg36161_1.jpg36140_1.jpg

And thats it! Malaysia on the 19th and Judging by the first race I think we can expect a close season.

This has been Jenson_Rules!!! reporting for TotalF1 Forums network.

Thank you

Jenson,

excellent post and it sums up the weekend pretty accurately.

I really enjoyed the GP and thought it was one of the more enjoyable to watch as the cars were actually close togther and there were some great scraps Jens and Raikko for third place, Schumi and Alonso for 1st and even Nico coming through the pack to end up a credible 7th.

I hope Malaysia will be just as entertaining.

Will you be doing this for all GPs? I hope so.

Cheers

Holly

awww, thanks and no I will not. It will be taken in turns between all members. But I'm glad it made good reading. Its a bit lengthy so im a bit sorry bout that LOL!

:clap3::clap3::clap3: Top job Ben, top job :clap3::clap3::clap3:

:clap3: cheers Ben. Good effort mate!

BTW, the Italian was excellent. Thanks for the tip.

OOOO Glad you liked it. And yes that Italian is very good. I wouldnt have suggested it otherwise :)

Onto Fatso then, what the **** was he doing all afternoon, I think i counted him stopping at McDonalds 30 times during that race, clearly he runs out of fuel quickly. But seriously, he was very average and was completely outdone by the flying fin. 'nuff said there really. He needs to have a serious look at his career, and ask himself why he hasnt won more races or a championship as many are beginning to doubt his consistency and talent, yes hes quick, yes hes aggressive but he seems to be the new Trulli, incredible when it suits him, average when he cant be bothered.

hilarious, i really enjoyed this part.....

Very good read, hope to see more during the rest of the season.

Great work

hehe a little montoya bashing is refreshing lol...

Justified bashing, if villeneuve had of driven as bad as montoya then everyone (media outlets) would have been wanting him sacked.

I agree that STR should be using V8's, just ridiculous loophole that they have found

Well done Mate!!!! :thbup::thbup::icon2_flag::thumb:

Even had pictures included. As I said in the other thread, you have now set the bar so high, the rest of us are going to have to work very hard just to come close to the same quality. Of course that is for everyone except Senna, he will run rings around you with one eye closed and typing with one finger while the race is in progress...... :PB)

Who's doing the malaysian GP report?

I reckon we should chose a member (who is of course frequent user on here) to do it since that red bull fan ire hasnt been on for a while! So I would like to nominate if he dosnt come on NOJVNOF1. Of course you may turn down this offer but I believe you would write a very good review!

Or Monza Gorilla. 1 of the few members who won't be biased, I don't even know who is favourite driver(s) is/are!

true, but I believe he would be better suited to a more traditional track! Well if he wants to then he can i spose. Whoever!

I would but I only log on here when I'm at work so to sit and type out a long article like that could get me a telling off! :nono1:

Well its nice to know the thought was there.

ecapdeville may be a good choice - he's an alonso fan but dont think he'd be that biased

He also speaks english as a second language so he may have some trouble explaining things in great detail, but i agree he would be an excellent choice. As would kiko, and senna, murray walker, and probably cavallino for a laugh!

kennye, pump and funkejay would be excellent choices too!

yes they would all be good (feel free to step forward anyone?) although I feel senna could be a little biased against Montoya!!!!

I was biased against montoya, but i also stated some home truths! He really does need to look at why he is so crap!