Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AutoRacer5

Irl Driver Paul Dana Dies

IRL driver Paul Dana died today in a crash with Ed Carpenter, during a warm-up session for the Toyota Indy 300. Ed Carpenter spun and hit the wall, and his car was sitting still on the lower line. Dana hit him while going about 170 mph.

I have a video of the incident, and would be willing to post.

Bad news. It would appear that there was some communication failure somewhere along the line, regardless of what the team press release said.

I saw the accident on the news. It was really sickening. I dont know why but IRL seems alot more dangerous than other open wheeler championships. 2 deaths in 3 years isnt a great record.

R.I.P Paul Dana

I saw the accident on the news. It was really sickening. I dont know why but IRL seems alot more dangerous than other open wheeler championships. 2 deaths in 3 years isnt a great record.

R.I.P Paul Dana

Where was the spotter? wasn't he looking ahead? very sad news

IRL driver Paul Dana died today in a crash with Ed Carpenter, during a warm-up session for the Toyota Indy 300. Ed Carpenter spun and hit the wall, and his car was sitting still on the lower line. Dana hit him while going about 170 mph.

I have a video of the incident, and would be willing to post.

Could you send me a video please or a link. I hate to sound disrespectful but I want to know how it happened. I want to see if anything could of prevented it. All my wishes are with his family.

And I was wondering that. IRL seems to be a very dangerous sport.

From the Mercury News:

Carpenter's car spun out and bounced off the Turn 2 wall, sliding toward the inside of the track. Five cars passed Carpenter and more than five seconds elapsed before Dana smashed into the rear of Carpenter's car.

Tapes of the accident show an unidentifiable car to Dana's right, which may have prevented him from going around Carpenter. Dana's car became airborne and its nose pointed skyward before skidding on the track, with parts flying. Dana's car was destroyed and Carpenter's sustained considerable damage.

Using GPS tracking on all cars, ESPN reported Dana was going about 176 mph at the time of impact, but IRL officials said they didn't know his exact speed.

Driver Buddy Lazier, who saw the collision unfold in front of him and claimed he was traveling at 205 mph before hitting his brakes, said car pieces and oil covered the track.

"I backed off a lot thinking it was just practice, we're just getting up to speed," said driver Scott Sharp, "and Paul had gotten to the point he was way ahead of me.

"So all of a sudden I saw him go up in the air and realized debris was everywhere. Other than that, I wasn't able to see much."

Immediately after Carpenter hit the wall, race officials waved a yellow flag to warn drivers. Each team was supposed to radio its drivers to steer clear.

"There was no problem with the communication," Rahal said. "The spotter made clear the incident. From what I can see there was a car on the outside that Paul was passing or had just passed. I think it would be conjecture and probably irresponsible for me to try to assess why what happened, happened."

A combination of both, I think, but mainly the speed and the nature of the circuits. With no run off areas it seems inevitable that after an accident the track will be blocked.

It's really shocking...I'm sad for the americans but I'm one of those who think oval tracks should be banned.It's just down to oval racing if such crashes happen

:( Sorry to say but Dana just made a rookie mistake that cost him his life, he didn't slow down like all of the others did.......................

Sad day indeed.

And I agree with you about banning oval tracks....to dangerous!

I think Pumpdoc is right. It's just that at the moment no one close to him wants to voice that opinion.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

It should be banned too imo...I don't mean the 500 should be banned but it could be hosted in the same track used for the USGP

pah. Been there since 1911, the 500 has. The IMS has been praised for its stance on safety. Gasoline was banned after 1964. Pressurized fuel rigs, unlimited tanks, 3 pitstops required after 1964, numerous regs over the years to make the cars safer. IMS has the track for the USGP, in case you did not know. IMS is a great track, always has been, always will be.

Indy has historical importance and should stay as a speedway. I don't like the Mickey Mouse infield though. It seems that it's the cars that should be changed, not the tracks.

Without the Indy 500, we might not have rear-view mirrors, 4-wheel brakes, front wheel drive, and I think dual carbuerators (spelling?).

I'm trying to quote Eddie Richenbacher from the early 1920s.

Very sad news to hear of a motor racer dieing in an accident indeed.

I agree with the guys above that oval circuits should remain, there is a lot of history with them. Maybe the safety of the cars should change, however (and I haven't seen the accident), if that same crash happened in F1 would the guy have survived for sure?

Very sad news to hear of a motor racer dieing in an accident indeed.

I agree with the guys above that oval circuits should remain, there is a lot of history with them. Maybe the safety of the cars should change, however (and I haven't seen the accident), if that same crash happened in F1 would the guy have survived for sure?

Who cares of history?!?!?If something is really too dangerous it has to be dropped!Oval racing has to be dropped,furthemore ovals are ridiculous and it's not down to the cas if such things happens,the Indycars are just as powerful as a GP2 car..oval tracks are DANGEROUS

All in your opinion.

I personally dont think they are as dangerous as some people make out. And I do care about the history of them and also dont find them one bit ridiculous at all. Would love to go watch a race on an oval. Yes I prefer tracks in F1 but Ovals have their place also.

Who cares of history?!?!?If something is really too dangerous it has to be dropped!Oval racing has to be dropped,furthemore ovals are ridiculous and it's not down to the cas if such things happens,the Indycars are just as powerful as a GP2 car..oval tracks are DANGEROUS

Racing in general is dangerous. Remember the 1970s? Jesus Christ, take a chance in your life! Racing should be banned then, to that logic. ridiculous? I don't think so. Almost 95% of the ovals in the country have the SAFER barriers on them. make the cars safer. that solves the problem here.

Racing in general is dangerous. Remember the 1970s? Jesus Christ, take a chance in your life! Racing should be banned then, to that logic. ridiculous? I don't think so. Almost 95% of the ovals in the country have the SAFER barriers on them. make the cars safer. that solves the problem here.

Could you explain what

Could you explain what

Steel And Foam Energy Reduction

basically, its what pumpdoc said, and to simplify: Steel tubes, with foam between it and the wall.