Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AutoRacer5

Irl Driver Paul Dana Dies

Thanks for explaining that guys, seeing your explanation reminds me that I have heard about them before, but not in detail

Thanks for explaining that guys, seeing your explanation reminds me that I have heard about them before, but not in detail

holy ****, that was a bad crash, just ****ing saw it. Jesus christ im surprised the other bloke wasnt killed too. Im sorry to say this though but it does seem it was kinda his fault in a way like pump said.

RIP!

Sickening crash. My condolences.

I don't think oval racing should be banned though.

Oval track racing wouldn't be too bad, if the service pits were moved to the outside of the oval. The area inside the oval could be reserved for parking and repair facilities accessible via tunnel(s). Make the ramp leading back to the competition surface a single-file passageway.

I doubt those things would have done Dana and Carpenter any good, and road racing is WAY better than oval, anyway. Maybe oval tracks should be limited to factory-stock street automobiles (but not vice-versa).

So, if the cars blew a tire, and ran into the outside wall, they would go into the pits then.

I was at the track that day for the race. Paul Dana's accident was a tragedy, the fact that he was a rookie and made a rookie mistake should not overshadow that fact. The level of safety device implementation in the IRL is of the highest degree in American racing, I couldn't believe at first that Mr. Dana had died. A puzzlment to me is race result classification in IRL, as in neither Danica Patrick nor Buddy Rice competed at all yet both were classified in the results 18th and 19th respectively whilst Paul Dana was classified 20th, having died before the race even began.

As for banning oval track racing, you really have to go to appreciate the racing. I had never been to an IRL race previously, and to tell the truth I had only gone because the Rolex race was the day before and the three-day pass with full paddock access was piddling change more than buying separate tickets. I had not honestly thought that I would enjoy the race all that much, but I must admit that there was some really good racing action and a spectacular finish to boot. So, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.