Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

realick2002

Team Or Driver?

I'd like to consider myself more of a Team supporter rather than a driver supporter. I Like Raikkonen but once he leaves Mclaren my support for him will diminish rapidly.

I wonder when Alonso joins Mclaren, I'd have lots of allies :D

I'd like to consider myself more of a Team supporter rather than a driver supporter. I Like Raikkonen but once he leaves Mclaren my support for him will diminish rapidly.

I wonder when Alonso joins Mclaren, I'd have lots of allies :D

I am the same. I follow McLaren. If they have a driver which I admire (which they usually have had) I take that as a bonus.

Imagine Kimi and Fernando for 07,08,09? Put those into Paragon designed, Mercedes powered rocketships. Heaven on earth!

That's tough because I'm a Ferrari suporter but I've also been a fan of many teams and drivers and more than one team or driver most of the time..........

Drivers with me, though I do like Honda as a team (minus Rubens) and I Love mclaren as a team but I really dislike JPM and KR, however next year a FA and Hamilton pairing (please god) will be amazing. Of course Jenson will still get the majority of my attention.

It's tough to be a team supporter when there are so few "teams" left in the sport.

I consider a Team to be an organization that exists to race, and nothing else. Of course everyone needs to make money to survive, and so sponsors have become an integral part of the overall equation, but when sponsors start owning teams directly, it's not really cricket anymore, is it? Competetion and winning races is no longer the raison d'etre, which has instead become brand promotion, which doesn't bode particularly well for the sport.

As a result, I can't support STR the way I once supported Minardi, nor Midland the way I used to support Jordan. Red Bull are in the same category for obviously similar reasons. Nor can I support Super Aguri, as they're really nothing more than the Honda "B" team. The same holds for the manufacturers - Renault, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, and Honda, as they are only in F1 to sell cars, and nothing more. (Proof of which lies no further away than the current question mark over Renault's and Toyota's commitment to continuing in the series past 2007 or 2008.)

No, Ferrari (because of their long tradition in the sport - and despite being a manufacturer), Williams (the only true remaining privateer team), and to a lesser extent McLaren (because of the Merc tie in) are the only 'teams' that can really still be considered as such, and unless your a fan of those three, there's really nothing in it to support teams anymore.

Nope, unfortunately the days of the privateer are gone, unless the FIA are able to bring back the likes of Sauber, Tyrell, Stewart, Jordan, Prost, Ligier, Arrows, Brabham, March, etc. etc. etc.... I certainly hope so, for the sake of the sport, but squads like Prodrive (which is really just another corporate outfit) aren't going to do the sport much better, either. What is needed is a genuine revival of the privateer teams, which is why the return of Minardi, Jordan and Penske, along with the introduction of new teams such as Carlin and others like them, are so essential to the long-term health and viability of the sport.

There's not much on which I agree with Max Mosely, but in this I think he's right.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the topic?

team :)

PS: Jay people can be team supporters for nationality's sake. That's how some teams like Renault, Toyota, BMW etc get part o their support. Aguri is pretty much privateer as they get, they clearly aren't getting that much support from Honda, otherwise they wouldnt be struggling so badly.

Primarily I support drivers but I always used to support sauber and minardi back in the day when they used to exist.

next year a FA and Hamilton pairing

Unlikely

Mostly im a driver supporter but i am also a team supporter. I have always been a Coulthard fan so when he was with McLaren i was a McLaren supporter and a Mika Hakkinen supporter. But now DC is with Red Bull i am a Red Bull supporter and a Christian Klien supporter. Now that DC has left McLaren i dont care about them as i once did, i still like them (except Montoya) but it doesnt bother me if they loose.

It's tough to be a team supporter when there are so few "teams" left in the sport.

I consider a Team to be an organization that exists to race, and nothing else. Of course everyone needs to make money to survive, and so sponsors have become an integral part of the overall equation, but when sponsors start owning teams directly, it's not really cricket anymore, is it? Competetion and winning races is no longer the raison d'etre, which has instead become brand promotion, which doesn't bode particularly well for the sport.

As a result, I can't support STR the way I once supported Minardi, nor Midland the way I used to support Jordan. Red Bull are in the same category for obviously similar reasons. Nor can I support Super Aguri, as they're really nothing more than the Honda "B" team. The same holds for the manufacturers - Renault, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, and Honda, as they are only in F1 to sell cars, and nothing more. (Proof of which lies no further away than the current question mark over Renault's and Toyota's commitment to continuing in the series past 2007 or 2008.)

No, Ferrari (because of their long tradition in the sport - and despite being a manufacturer), Williams (the only true remaining privateer team), and to a lesser extent McLaren (because of the Merc tie in) are the only 'teams' that can really still be considered as such, and unless your a fan of those three, there's really nothing in it to support teams anymore.

Nope, unfortunately the days of the privateer are gone, unless the FIA are able to bring back the likes of Sauber, Tyrell, Stewart, Jordan, Prost, Ligier, Arrows, Brabham, March, etc. etc. etc.... I certainly hope so, for the sake of the sport, but squads like Prodrive (which is really just another corporate outfit) aren't going to do the sport much better, either. What is needed is a genuine revival of the privateer teams, which is why the return of Minardi, Jordan and Penske, along with the introduction of new teams such as Carlin and others like them, are so essential to the long-term health and viability of the sport.

There's not much on which I agree with Max Mosely, but in this I think he's right.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the topic?

Although you make some valid points it is important to remember that this is a two egged sword. Having the manufacturers will mean that most privateer teams will struggle, but sqeezing the manufacturers out by making a F1 comitment not feasible means that they will go elsewhere, thus lowering the technlogical progress in F1. This may result in F1 becoming a 'low-tech' series like IRL. Although interest F1 did take a dive when Ferrari dominated, it has now bounced back after Renault and McLaren, and to a certain extent Honda and Toyota, are highly competitive and the racing has become good.

Manufacturers will always come and go, but so will privateers. Let say Renault drops out Hyundai, Volkswagen, or Nissan wil take their place.

Jaguar, Stoddart and Peter sold out, in came BMW and and two RedBulls. Keep F1 as it is, only bring back slicks and one race engines.

wow, i agree with you for the first time EVER. you make some valid points there. Though I doubt Nissan will even venture into F1. i think Volkswgen could though soonish. I have a sneaking suspicion they were one of the 22 teams to have enetered for 2008. I am preying they will be disguised as Audi though. :wub:

wow, i agree with you for the first time EVER. you make some valid points there. Though I doubt Nissan will even venture into F1. i think Volkswgen could though soonish. I have a sneaking suspicion they were one of the 22 teams to have enetered for 2008. I am preying they will be disguised as Audi though. :wub:

There is always a first for everything :D

Yeah, AUDI would be great! Williams are probably getting Lexus, and I would not mind seeing Midland being sold to Hyundai either.

Driver definitely.

I've only ever followed two drivers though since watching F1, Senna and Villeneuve. Those two get top priority in my eyes.

Having said that, there have always been drivers who if JV weren't to do well, I'd wish for them to perform well. They include/included the likes of Berger, Hill, Alonso, Heidfeld, Klein, Speed, Rosberg.

What will I do once JV retires? Not too sure, I'm just as likely to not follow anyone for a year or two just to chill out and just watch as a neutral like monza gorilla and senna, or I'll follow one of the up and coming kids like Rosberg, Hamilton, Kovalainen, Vettel. I won't follow anyone well established in F1 like Alonso, Kimi etc for no other reason than I would feel like I'd just be another member on the bandwagon if you understand me.

I've never really followed teams as much as I have followed drivers, but Williams, Renault and BMW-Sauber will always have my support in one way or another.

Williams for the reasons that it was they who took a shot on Jacques all those years ago and Sir Frank has always been a staunch supporter of Jacques. Renault (for as long as they're in F1) for the reason that Flavio took a chance on JV for the final 3 races in '04, but especially BMW-Sauber, mostly for the Sauber part of the entity rather than BMW. Peter Sauber took a massive gamble on Jacques in helping to bring JV back. Sure there were hard times, and times where I was disappointed in a few things Peter said and did in '05, but still, he showed enough faith in JV to hire him when anyone and everyone who could slag JV off did so.

What will I do once JV retires? Not too sure, I'm just as likely to not follow anyone for a year or two just to chill out and just watch as a neutral like monza gorilla and senna

Senna is as neutral in formula 1 as Germany was neutral in WW2.

That's being abit harsh. What I meant was that he isn't a staunch supporter of a driver or team like I with Jacques and you with Coulthard. Sure, he obviously shows more support to Jenson than most other drivers, but seriously, I doubt he's a through and through Buttonite like Ben or Jemstride.

[quote name='ykickamoocow' post='111392' date='Apr 17 2006, 05:10 PM']Senna is as neutral in formula 1 as Germany was neutral in WW2.[/quote]
Gold! :clap3: :clap3: :lol: :D :clap3:

Well I like Honda and I like Mclaren as a team but not their drivers however, if Audi were to ever enter F1 they would get my complete support, equal to Jenson, and probably the only thing that would ever be equal for JB! What would be even better is if JB drove for Audi.

BTW anyone thinking of getting an ''executive'' car like a BMW or Merc then you should seriously give Audi a go, the A6 a whirl particularly the 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro SE version, which is what my step dad has and its excellent, especially in sport mode. Moves like Sh#t off a shovel and he says that you wouldnt think you were driving a huge saloon as the handling is incredible. He's considering though trading it in to get the new S6 which in a review by WHAT CAR? it was compared to a lambo, which is pretty damn amazing. It does state that the downside is the ride, but they say that about all Audi's but I have never found it uncomfortable (the A6 and my mums TT)

Well I like Honda and I like Mclaren as a team but not their drivers however, if Audi were to ever enter F1 they would get my complete support, equal to Jenson, and probably the only thing that would ever be equal for JB! What would be even better is if JB drove for Audi.

BTW anyone thinking of getting an ''executive'' car like a BMW or Merc then you should seriously give Audi a go, the A6 a whirl particularly the 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro SE version, which is what my step dad has and its excellent, especially in sport mode. Moves like Sh#t off a shovel and he says that you wouldnt think you were driving a huge saloon as the handling is incredible. He's considering though trading it in to get the new S6 which in a review by WHAT CAR? it was compared to a lambo, which is pretty damn amazing. It does state that the downside is the ride, but they say that about all Audi's but I have never found it uncomfortable (the A6 and my mums TT)

My old man has a A8 and its great, but I still prefer the Mercs though. The BMW (without being racist) is almost only being driven by immigrants who are criminals where I come from. Very bad stigma going around on those cars I'm afraid. I have not tried the new Jag's yet, but those biased chumps on Top Gear thinks its toppbanana.

My old man has a A8 and its great, but I still prefer the Mercs though. The BMW (without being racist) is almost only being driven by immigrants who are criminals where I come from. Very bad stigma going around on those cars I'm afraid. I have not tried the new Jag's yet, but those biased chumps on Top Gear thinks its toppbanana.

Audi's loose their value way to fast to be worth buying.

The cars that have the worst rep in Australia are volvo's (the cars are fine) they are just driven by idiots. This explains the saying "Bloody Volvo driver"

Well Mercs are very very good, but Audi's are very very underrated. The A8 is a very good car also. Apparently despite the A4 and A3 recently getting facelifts, completely new models will be coming out in a year or so apparently. And in about 4-5 years the new A6 and A8's will be arriving. I agree about BMW's they seem to be driven by drug dealers (and im not being racist) but it really is the car that both Chavs and a lot of gangster black men aim for.

If I won the lottery my garage would consist of An Aston Martin DB9 and V8 Vantage. I would also own the new Audi S6, I would have the Ferrari 430 (in red only(whats the point in owning a ferrari if it is not red)), and I would also purchase a Lambo of some description, an old Mini Cooper too and the new Honda Civic Type R (as although not the most expensive, looks bloody sexy in the top gea magazine a couple of months back)

What do you lot think of the new Alfa Romeo Brera. Every1 seems to think its amazingly sexy, but I really dont like it AT ALL!

Actually the TT holds its value superbly. As does the A6 and A8. The A4 and A3 and now extinct A2 all lose their value relatively quickly because they are very common and the A2 is quite quirky so doesnt have the best resale prospects.

Audi's loose their value way to fast to be worth buying.

The cars that have the worst rep in Australia are volvo's (the cars are fine) they are just driven by idiots. This explains the saying "Bloody Volvo driver"

Where I am from its the opposite. Audis hold their value due to they are less prone to rust (winter weather, salt on the roads etc) and they have good styling and engines. Korean cars, OMG, total write-off as soon as you turn the key.

Most european cars, except frpm ford and opel, hold their value.

Well Mercs are very very good, but Audi's are very very underrated. The A8 is a very good car also. Apparently despite the A4 and A3 recently getting facelifts, completely new models will be coming out in a year or so apparently. And in about 4-5 years the new A6 and A8's will be arriving. I agree about BMW's they seem to be driven by drug dealers (and im not being racist) but it really is the car that both Chavs and a lot of gangster black men aim for.

If I won the lottery my garage would consist of An Aston Martin DB9 and V8 Vantage. I would also own the new Audi S6, I would have the Ferrari 430 (in red only(whats the point in owning a ferrari if it is not red)), and I would also purchase a Lambo of some description, an old Mini Cooper too and the new Honda Civic Type R (as although not the most expensive, looks bloody sexy in the top gea magazine a couple of months back)

What do you lot think of the new Alfa Romeo Brera. Every1 seems to think its amazingly sexy, but I really dont like it AT ALL!

The lottery, dont even go there.

I would buy:

Aston Martin DB4 Zagato S2

Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing

Porsche 550 Spyder

Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona

1959 or 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Daytona

Porsche 906

Lamborghini Miura

Jaguar E-Type series 3 (I like the big grille and lower behind)

Porsche 959

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

and the list goes on, and on, and on....