Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1Babe

Frentzen to Retire?

Our sources believe that Heinz-Harald Frentzen may be about to retire

B&H Jordan Honda driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen may be about to announce his retirement from the sport, F1i.com's sources have suggested.

The German 34-year-old has endured one of his most frustrating seasons to date and has endured numerous mechanical problems as well as a major crash in the Monaco Grand Prix that left him with suspected bruising on the brain. This forced the German to miss the Canadian Grand Prix and could soon bring a curtain down on his career.

If the German decides to retire, which F1i.com believes is now highly likely, he will almost certainly leave the sport immediately and not drive until the end of the season. This would allow Ricardo Zonta, the team's test driver, to step up to a full-time race drive.

This would leave a vacant test seat, which could be filled by rising Japanese star Takuma Sato. The young Japanese is currently a BAR development driver, but rumours suggest he could take a test seat with Jordan of the role becomes vacant with a view to becoming a Honda Formula 1 race driver in the near future.

Pardon my french, but I think you will find that their sources are full of crap.

F1i always likes to start rumours it seems...

I saw that one too.  

Seriously though, he hasnt had a great season, and that bump on the head may have made him think differently about the sport, especially now he has a family.

Who knows, probably rubbish.

I think Frentzen's got till 2002 then, maybe he'll call it a day.

He has not had all the success that he may have had and had little success during his time at Williams, but Jordan team seemed more to his liking. He has been out paced by Trulli this year and suffered health problems.