Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Villeneuve Eyes Imola Podium

Canadian Jacques Villeneuve believes BMW can end his long absence from the Formula One podium. The 1997 world champion with Williams has not finished in the top three since the 2001 german GP with BAR but BMW's recent form has raised his hopes of a return to former heights.

Team mate Nick Heidfeld was fourth in this month's Australian Grand Prix, after running a strong second.

"It would be nice to get a few podiums and it would be nice to get a contract out of this year," he told reporters at the San Marino Grand Prix. "Maybe we can get that by the end of the year. If you look at Australia, Nick was almost on the podium there."

The Canadian, who celebrated his 35th birthday this month, feels at home at Imola.

A corner of the track and, since Thursday, a square in the town are named after his late father -- Ferrari great Gilles who died in 1982 in practice for the Belgian Grand Prix.

"It shows that he's still alive in the hearts of Italians and that's great, I'm very proud of that," he said of his father. "In people's minds here my Dad was almost Italian and he was everybody's son so it's great to see him remembered like that."

GOOD MEMORIES

Unlike his father, Villeneuve has never stood on the Imola podium but it has given him some good memories. He finished fourth for Sauber last year, after BAR's Jenson Button was disqualified.

"Last year they were the first points I scored and they were the best points of the whole season as well so it is generally a good weekend," said Villeneuve.

BMW split from Williams last year after buying Swiss-based Sauber. The new team has started more strongly than many had expected, fifth in the championship after three races with twice as many points as Williams.

"There are still some quicker cars than us, so we still need some of the quick cars to have problems to be really at the top, but we shouldn't be too far off," said Villeneuve.

He said relations with the team were good, a contrast to last year when the new owners explored other options before finally accepting Villeneuve would stay.

"I think as a team we have got better results than expected and that always helps to make people happy," added Villeneuve. "I guess they didn't know how much of a professional I was and how hard I could work.

"They are still living on that bad image that was created a few years ago and every time I start with someone different I need to prove that was just an invention.

"That's just the way it is. I guess I didn't protect myself enough and I just keep paying the price. But it doesn't take long for people to make up their own mind."

Villeneuve, dropped by BAR in 2003 after an increasingly acrimonious relationship with then team boss David Richards, said he was still being himself.

"I don't wake up and think I have to be very nice and be fake just to show that I'm not like they think I am," he said of his approach to BMW. "I don't think I've changed really."

www.eurosport.com

Yes Jacues, you are right in that observation. If all the quicker cars, Renault, McLaren, Honda, Ferrari, Toyota and Williams have failures he might be able to fight it out with the RedBull's. Go Jaques! You can do it (in your dreams).

Where in that article does JV allude to specifically eyeing a podium at Imola as you point out. All he says is that by the end of the year he believes he and the team have what it takes to be on the podium.

You must have taken some journo lessons from some members of the British press cos all you've done is taken JV's words and twisted them to suit your own agenda against him.

I genuinely believe BMW Sauber, whether it be through Nick or Jacques have what it takes to make it onto the podium on pace. Maybe not now, but I feel they'll come on really strong mid year onwards.

You may feel whatever you want, and I feel your optimism inspiring and refreshing. However, I doubt they will make the podium. The fact that they came close in Melbourne was just down to the fact that so many of the front runners retired.

However, I doubt they will make the podium. The fact that they came close in Melbourne was just down to the fact that so many of the front runners retired.

That's all you had to say my friend. As for Nick in Melbourne, he was there or thereabouts, most of them retired when behind Nick. Had he not had the issues with heating the tyres, he would have had a much stronger shot.

That's all you had to say my friend. As for Nick in Melbourne, he was there or thereabouts, most of them retired when behind Nick. Had he not had the issues with heating the tyres, he would have had a much stronger shot.

The only thing wa can do is to wait and see. I hope for your sake that they do make a podium, but as I have said, I doubt it.

The only thing wa can do is to wait and see. I hope for your sake that they do make a podium, but as I have said, I doubt it.

I won't even comment on what I think of you.

Ide, the 'spinmaster' spun 3 times in the morning practice today.......... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

O well his hopes of finishing in top 3 have vanish.....

Kind of jumping the gun aren't you. The race is tomorrow. :D

BMW are taking it easy with these engines. They got lots of fuel on board, and if JV has a clean start, anything is possible for the race.

As far as the original post goes, JV is stating the obvious. THe BMW is much closer to the front runners then anyone thought they would be, and with a little luck, a podium is not out of the question sometime this year.

i think JV was unlucky not to make it out of the 2nd drop zone - he was on a great lap & then was under waved yellows due to Heidfields crash

personally id love to see JV doing well again & silence his critics - hes already doing much better this year than last year

i think JV was unlucky not to make it out of the 2nd drop zone - he was on a great lap & then was under waved yellows due to Heidfields crash

personally id love to see JV doing well again & silence his critics - hes already doing much better this year than last year

Agreed. I think he actually has silenced them. He is performing as well as Heidfield, they are equal in points and in qualifying(For what it is worth anymore) they are even after four races.

The press have pretty much left him alone, and have quit spinning goodbye JV stories. I just hope he signs for BMW next year, because I could see him leaving on a high note in 2007 with this team.

Ide, the 'spinmaster' spun 3 times in the morning practice today.......... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

At least that is one pick I get right each race!!!!!!

not many MS fans are JV's too......good for you........

and oh, i agree with nojvnof1, JV said they might strike a podium or two by the year end......Imola as I see it is not even the middle of the year.......so plenty of time.....

im a girl so obviously im much fairer :clap3:

apart from anything else Jacques is a former World Champion & obviously deserves great respect for that - plus he just seems very passionate about his racing which as a girl i like - hes won the best prize of all so hes hardly in it for that or for the money or recognition

to be honest, when he first came back i thought hed made an awful mistake & should have stayed at home as he was in danger of becoming an "also ran" - really glad to see hes proving most of us wrong (just as long as he doesnt beat my man of course!!)

just as long as he doesnt beat my man of course!!

fair eh :lol: actually you are....

but Jv has kept Ms behind him in a fair few races for an annoyingly long time for you during his BAR days has'nt he.....

Great to see, usually I don't get along with too many fans of your boy, but I think we'll get along just fine :)

As for JV's quali, I'm really gutted about the end result. As you've all said, he was on a flier when Nick spun off and I believe he had to potential to qualify in P4 or P5 in the final session. All he needed was a clean start and a little luck and a podium would have been within reach as JV is very strong at this track and the car has the pace. Now, I just hope for a clean start for Jacques and some points, as barring some reliability problems for the others, a podium seems just out of reach from where he is starting.

I just hope that JV runs too heavy, it is a stategy that doesnt seem to work for him. As for his performance against heidfeld, he has been good 2all and that is even counting Aust where he didnt even bother really doing anything in the last session of qualifying. I think he has struggled against nick for race pace though (excluding the first race) Have to wait and see in imola

I'd run a normal two stopper. The heavy fuel load would have two side effects. It would further the strain on the brakes, which are vital as they are heavily worn at this track, and he'd lost too much time to the rest of the field.

Now is the time for him to call on all his experience and his racecraft, cos from P12 at this track, he's going to need it to score major points.

I'd run a normal two stopper. The heavy fuel load would have two side effects. It would further the strain on the brakes, which are vital as they are heavily worn at this track, and he'd lost too much time to the rest of the field.

Now is the time for him to call on all his experience and his racecraft, cos from P12 at this track, he's going to need it to score major points.

There is no way he is gettin a poduim finish. I think he will struggle to get into the points even.

Do they still hire has beens in Indy? :P

Oh you're a cheeky one :lol:

In all seriousness though, a podium is a very very long shot, but with a good clean start, he could score points.

Do they still hire has beens in Indy?

JV isn't a has been, but anyways, if you insist, it's still better to be a has been than a never was.

Oh you're a cheeky one :lol:

In all seriousness though, a podium is a very very long shot, but with a good clean start, he could score points.

JV isn't a has been, but anyways, if you insist, it's still better to be a has been than a never was.

:clap3:

Sometimes one need a reminder of the realities of life :D

as was pointed out yesterday on ITV 11th or 12th is actually not a bad place to start these days - unlike the 10 in front of you you can start with whatever fuel load you decide, you will ahve saved more tyres from not taking part in that pathetic "burn out" part & also your engine wont have had such a hammering - not sure really how much bearing this will really have on your race but at least should give some of the JV abit of hope :clap3:

of course i am a huge Schumi fan but i can admit when others deserve a bit of credit & acknowledgement - as long as its not kimi :naughty: oh and that they dont win :D

GO ON JACQUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as was pointed out yesterday on ITV 11th or 12th is actually not a bad place to start these days - unlike the 10 in front of you you can start with whatever fuel load you decide, you will ahve saved more tyres from not taking part in that pathetic "burn out" part & also your engine wont have had such a hammering - not sure really how much bearing this will really have on your race but at least should give some of the JV abit of hope :clap3:

of course i am a huge Schumi fan but i can admit when others deserve a bit of credit & acknowledgement - as long as its not kimi :naughty:oh and that they dont win :D

GO ON JACQUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They as in McLaren or any other than Schu?