Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savage Bliss

Button's Chance?--Now it's about Cricket, rugby and world cup! baseball, basket ball, football and hockey....

I think Americans would love football(soccer) and cricket if we were exposed to it (I dig rugby when I can find it broadcasted). The problem is the stranglehold our football, baseball and basketball leagues have over the networks. Those 'big three' sports leagues are scheduled so that one is always going off, year-round. They generally don't conflict with one another either. The last thing they want is competition they can't control or fit into their artificial 'seasons'. Here in the States, we really are spoon-fed and controlled in our choices for tv viewing...

We can find international sports if we care to wade through hundreds of satellite channels or stay up to the wee hours of the morning, but F1 is enough of a hassle to stay up for, I don't need two such sports! ;)

Once you watch and understand hockey the rest of professional sports seems slow and uneventful. Give me a hockey game over any other form of professional sport.

Once you watch and understand hockey the rest of professional sports seems slow and uneventful. Give me a hockey game over any other form of professional sport.

I understand hockey and I admit to it's draw. Much better to watch than a baseball or basketball game. However, I'm one for obsessions and I only have time for one obsession. F1 has long been that and I'm not gonna change! It's good to see the passion football (soccer) brings out though...

Carry on...

yea, but Canada is REALLY cold YHR.....brrrrrrr

i for one won't survive there, SA is just perfect!

IN Canada we have 8 months of winter and 4 months of poor snowmobiling. That is the company line and as long as the rest of the world thinks that, we are quite happy.

Tip of a lifetime

Canada is resource rich and has larger deposits of Crude oil then Saudia Arabia. Did you know the province of Alberta supplies more oil to the US then Saudia Arabia, and we have just tapped the resource. Invest your money in oil companies who are involved in the Canadian Oilsands.

Australia's most popular form of football is like that. Australian Football League (AFL) has been discribed as organised chaos and is extremely fast paced and exciting.

Australia's most popular form of football is like that. Australian Football League (AFL) has been discribed as organised chaos and is extremely fast paced and exciting.

Damn straight.... best football code in the world!! GO THE MAGGIES!!!!!

Damn straight.... best football code in the world!! GO THE MAGGIES!!!!!

Im a huge SWANS fan and was so excited when my team won last year. Big Bad Barry Hall is my favourite player but i also really like the Irish guy Tadhg Kennelly. AFL is the best football code in the world, it is easily the fastest football code and is very exciting to watch.

Im a huge SWANS fan and was so excited when my team won last year. Big Bad Barry Hall is my favourite player but i also really like the Irish guy Tadhg Kennelly. AFL is the best football code in the world, it is easily the fastest football code and is very exciting to watch.

I have sincerely tried to like AFL but find it hideous. Its an incarnation of a bogan dream. Totally crap, not worthy of even ten minutes more of my life. The worst thing is that it takes itself so seriously with all these tribunals and mock trials. What an utter farse, I'd rather follow net-ball or baseball rather than AFL.

BTW, if it is that great, how come it has not catched on anywhere else? :eusa_think:

BTW, if it is that great, how come it has not catched on anywhere else? :eusa_think:

Statistically AFL is the most popular sport in Australia closely followed by cricket.

As for its popularity overseas it is growing. It is still quite small but it still is growing. Heres a couple of websites.

http://www.barfl.co.uk/index.php

http://www.usfooty.com/usfooty/

Statistically AFL is the most popular sport in Australia closely followed by cricket.

As for its popularity overseas it is growing. It is still quite small but it still is growing. Heres a couple of websites.

http://www.barfl.co.uk/index.php

http://www.usfooty.com/usfooty/

Football is the biggest in both overall participation and on grassroots level. And i ten years time it s going to be the bigst overal with regards to TV viewership and A-grade competition. All good.

Still, I think Argentina have a better squad, cant see England making it past quarters when Portugal have such a strong team as well.

Finals: Argentina vs Brazil, Argentina wins.

Dream final, England Argentina, where the later wins 4-0

England beat Argentina a few months ago, we're better than them I think. In euro 2004 we beat portugal although the referee wrongly disallowed 1 of our goals so it went to penalties and we lost!

England can beat any team if they play like they can play, theres no way Portugal can be seen as a stronger side than england and I'll be disappointed if we dont make semi finals at least

I have sincerely tried to like AFL but find it hideous. Its an incarnation of a bogan dream. Totally crap, not worthy of even ten minutes more of my life. The worst thing is that it takes itself so seriously with all these tribunals and mock trials. What an utter farse, I'd rather follow net-ball or baseball rather than AFL.

What a ridiculous comment, really. Why hasn't caught on anywhere else? Why hasn

must say im surprised at this i would have really thought that Rugby would have been more popular in Australia than Football <_< or has interest waned in it since OZ lost the world cup (no its not a dig just a question :P )

must say im surprised at this i would have really thought that Rugby would have been more popular in Australia than Football <_< or has interest waned in it since OZ lost the world cup (no its not a dig just a question :P )

For team sports i think it goes like this in Australia

1. AFL

2. Cricket

3. Rugby Union

4. Rugby League

Rugby Union is just as popular as it was even before our worldcup loss as every Wallabies is always sold out. The Wallabies arnt doing as well as they were 5 years ago but that doesnt seemed to have lowered Rugby Unions populatity.

im just surprised at that thats all - never thought of OZ being a football loving nation :blink:

i was at the Ireland v OZ rugby international in November & yep i can vouch that they do still support their team just as well - there were quite a few thousand yellow shirts there - mad as hatters the lot of them but great days craic

Plus there's a 120 (1875) year history behind the sport which was invented in Melbourne and was originally the VFL (Victorian Football League) before becoming the AFL in (correct me if I

Are you British?
No

He is most probley American. He is deffently not from a commonwealth country because before he came to Australia he had never heard of lawn bowls or netball. He also seems to have a high opinion of American sports such as American football and i dont know a single non American who likes that rubbish.

He is most probley American. He is deffently not from a commonwealth country because before he came to Australia he had never heard of lawn bowls or netball. He also seems to have a high opinion of American sports such as American football and i dont know a single non American who likes that rubbish.

I do not hold American Football in high regards at all, quite the opposite, and I dont know what has made you reach that conclusion. BTW, American sports are highly popular outside America. Baseball is huge in Japan, Korea and latin America. Basketball is popular the world over where NBA is the benchmark by a country mile, American Football is popular in Europe and some parts of East Asia, and NASCAR must be popular in Oz since your boy Marcus Ambrose found the V8 boring and wanted to have a go over there.

You are so way off the mark with regards to where I am from that it is not even funny. Try again, and dont ask Jenson_Rules or Jems for help.

Baseball is huge in Japan, Korea and latin America.

True, but it isnt even 20% as popular as cricket

Basketball is popular the world over where NBA is the benchmark by a country mile

Id hardy call basketball popular all over the world. Australia has the third best basketball team in the world but most Australians couldnt care less how the Australian team does. If the third best nation in the world doesnt even care about the sport id hardly call it popular.

American Football is popular in Europe and some parts of East Asia

That could be true but it is scary to think about. In my opinion any form of football that needs that much padding isnt a sport. I remember about 5 years ago American football held a exhibition game in Australia and i attempted to watch it but after 30 minutes i left because it was so slow and boring. They only seemed to have 10 seconds of play then they would have a break, then another 10 seconds play then another break. It was easily the slowest form of football id ever seen.

NASCAR must be popular in Oz since your boy Marcus Ambrose found the V8 boring and wanted to have a go over there.

Think again. NASCAR is not popular at all. In Australia we have a noval idea that motor racing should have left and right turns. Marcus Ambrose went to America because he had won 2 championships in V8 Supercars and he said he wanted a new challenge but he probely only went there for the money.

True, but it isnt even 20% as popular as cricket

Id hardy call basketball popular all over the world. Australia has the third best basketball team in the world but most Australians couldnt care less how the Australian team does. If the third best nation in the world doesnt even care about the sport id hardly call it popular.

That could be true but it is scary to think about. In my opinion any form of football that needs that much padding isnt a sport. I remember about 5 years ago American football held a exhibition game in Australia and i attempted to watch it but after 30 minutes i left because it was so slow and boring. They only seemed to have 10 seconds of play then they would have a break, then another 10 seconds play then another break. It was easily the slowest form of football id ever seen.

Think again. NASCAR is not popular at all. In Australia we have a noval idea that motor racing should have left and right turns. Marcus Ambrose went to America because he had won 2 championships in V8 Supercars and he said he wanted a new challenge but he probely only went there for the money.

I dont think money was his main motivation as he was headed to a farmer series, and was not even promised a race seat.

NFL is quite boring. I went to see the New England Patriots take on the Miami Dolphins in Flordia (ok we had nosebleed seats) and the game was very, very boring. Excactly as you said. 10 secs of play, 5 mins of changes, tactics, special teams blah blah blah. They say it is the most strategic game on earth, I doubt it. Have you seen the meatheads playing? Oh dear...

Basketball is huge all around the world. Remember, Oz is dominated by its three codes, football and cricket, still there is quite a good attendance on the games.

Basketball is huge all around the world. Remember, Oz is dominated by its three codes, football and cricket, still there is quite a good attendance on the games.

Basketball gets nearly no coverage on free to air tv here in Australia. Even netball gets more TV time and most people couldnt tell you who won the last couple of seasons in the NBL. i know i couldnt.

NFL is quite boring. I went to see the New England Patriots take on the Miami Dolphins in Flordia (ok we had nosebleed seats) and the game was very, very boring. Excactly as you said. 10 secs of play, 5 mins of changes, tactics, special teams blah blah blah. They say it is the most strategic game on earth, I doubt it.

If Americans want to see tactics they should watch a better sport. Cricket is the most tactical game i know. Every aspect of the game has to be planned such as when to put on your strike bowlers and when to bowl your spinners. It is also effected by the pitch as no two pitches are the same.

As for the country you come from my next guess is Canada.

To each their own, i'll take Football, baseball, NASCAR and any other form of motor-racing and have FUN!! and you can have your sports and be happy, buT unlike the rest of the prima-donna's that think that if you don't love their sport and only their sport you are lower than a snake, I say enjoy!!

...........and y-kick you are so far off on Ctrl :lol:

Basketball gets nearly no coverage on free to air tv here in Australia. Even netball gets more TV time and most people couldnt tell you who won the last couple of seasons in the NBL. i know i couldnt.

If Americans want to see tactics they should watch a better sport. Cricket is the most tactical game i know. Every aspect of the game has to be planned such as when to put on your strike bowlers and when to bowl your spinners. It is also effected by the pitch as no two pitches are the same.

As for the country you come from my next guess is Canada.

Cricket is bloody great. I did not follow it until I moved to Sydney, but heyI'm all over it.

As me being Canadian I take that as an insult. Canadians always make it a point that they are not American. They are right, they are not, they are the nerdy, '10 years behind the rest of the world' cousin of America.

And no, I am not pulling this out of thin air. I have travelled a great deal and all Canadians I have met are just the same. Also at my Uni the Canadians there are just the same. My cousin actually went to Vancouver to study and came back with the exact same impression.

Ill give you a hint, I'm Western European, and not British.

Ill give you a hint, I'm Western European, and not British.

I cant tell you how not helpful that is.

Are you from Portugal (cant get anymore western than that). The problem with you saying your in Western Europe is that there are about 10 countries in that region.