Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Racecraft: Defined

There have been alot of posts (including my own) making reference, in some vague fashion, to 'racecraft' and I thought I'd have a go at defining it.

Racecraft takes into consideration the whole 'package' of a driver's skill during a GP weekend. It does not take into consideration testing effectiveness unless it's in the context of GP weekend decisions, such as tires, suspension adjustments, etc. Racecraft should be assessed over a season and not for a handful of races.

Saturday practice affords the first opportunity to guage a driver's racecraft. Good racecraft will let the driver pull his car's balance together to rapidly and consistently to post quick times. Drivers who struggle here are lacking in the 'car set-up' facet of racecraft. Note: posting quick times should be seen relative to their teammates or a competitor that is close in 'level' (you wouldn't judge Montiero based on his times against Kimi).

Qualifying is straightforward. Qualifying position over the whole of a season is an indication of racecraft.

Racecraft during a race is the ability to take all circumstances/liabilities and turn them into a finishing position that is higher than the qualifying position.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but it seems that alot of us are posting about this or that driver's 'racecraft' without fully thinking about what racecraft is.

I leave it to the moderators to delete or move this post as needed. ;)

No need to move it from my perspective.

I must say I agree with your perspective on racecraft.

Racecraft during a race is the ability to take all circumstances/liabilities and turn them into a finishing position that is higher than the qualifying position.

Good post, Mike!!!

As far as I'm concerned, racecraft can be defined simply as the ability to take the most from every opportunity, and turn each circumstance to your advantage. Whether that is starting well, overtaking, avoiding being overtaken, lapping backmarkers efficiently and quickly, guaging pitstop strategies, changing strategies mid race, maximizing feul consumption to extend a stint, managing your tires, managing your car, bluffing a competitor into believing you lack pace (as MS did to excellent effect in San Marino less than two weeks ago!!!!), etc. etc. etc. I do not think that qualifying (in its classical sense) is a component of racecraft however, except to the extent that it plays into race strategy (given that you must qualify on race fuel in the final 20 minute shootout period).

Everything else is merely preparation for the race, and is not part of what I would consider to be the essential quality of 'racecraft'.

Good post, Mike!!!

As far as I'm concerned, racecraft can be defined simply as the ability to take the most from every opportunity, and turn each circumstance to your advantage. Whether that is starting well, overtaking, avoiding being overtaken, lapping backmarkers efficiently and quickly, guaging pitstop strategies, changing strategies mid race, maximizing feul consumption to extend a stint, managing your tires, managing your car, bluffing a competitor into believing you lack pace (as MS did to excellent effect in San Marino less than two weeks ago!!!!), etc. etc. etc. I do not think that qualifying (in its classical sense) is a component of racecraft however, except to the extent that it plays into race strategy (given that you must qualify on race fuel in the final 20 minute shootout period).

Everything else is merely preparation for the race, and is not part of what I would consider to be the essential quality of 'racecraft'.

Indeed.

One tanget thought...do the drivers currently on the grid live up to the drivers of, say, 10 years ago in 'racecraft'? I'm of the vague opinion that they don't (with a possible exception or two).

Indeed.

One tanget thought...do the drivers currently on the grid live up to the drivers of, say, 10 years ago in 'racecraft'? I'm of the vague opinion that they don't (with a possible exception or two).

I have to say, Mike, this is one of the more interesting topics to have been posted in some time.

Hard to say really, whether that is true or not. I've often felt that way as well, but wasn't sure if it was just nostalgia or if it was a real sense that it doesn't play as big a part in racing now. One the one hand, races then were more unpredictable (in a sense) in that there were more variables in play that were less well controlled, and so racecraft may have played a bigger part in winning races. On the other hand, whether that meant that we just paid more attention to it than we do now, or if it means that the drivers of the day actually possessed more of it, is hard to say. It all boils down to the same old 'perception' vs 'reality' debate, and I don't know that I have the answer.

I think today's drivers are so dependent on aero-grip, safer cars and easier tracks that they don't have to develop their racecraft to the degree of past drivers. Aero-grip has virtually eliminated the banzai passes we've seen in the past (historical F1 in this forum has some great clips of these for those that don't remember those days). The level of car-control is much less today because of this.

Safer cars give the driver's the feeling of invulnerability leading to sloppy driving compared to the tidy driving of Lauda and even Moss. In their day, respectively, if you had an accident or shunted, you were probably dead. The driving was much more precise because of this and the chances taken when racing more impressive.

Easier tracks allow driver's to compete who would normally not be 'up to snuff'. Can you imagine Ide, or even Klien, on the old Spa? Nordeschleiffe? Not likely. But these drivers are competitive on the imasculated Nurburgring and the new Tilke tracks. There's not alot of racecraft needed to negotiate those circuits.

I suppose there are a few current drivers that would 'cut the mustard' in the old days. Certainly MS had it enough to compete with Senna and Prost. JV has it in spades. Kimi maybe. Generally I don't think many of our 'star' drivers would be up to the standards set by past 'star' drivers. Totally my opinion though and not backable by any real facts.

I don't know the answer either, Jay. You have a point with your 'perception' vs 'reality' and also in saying we will probably never know..

I suppose there are a few current drivers that would 'cut the mustard' in the old days. Certainly MS had it enough to compete with Senna and Prost. JV has it in spades. Kimi maybe. Generally I don't think many of our 'star' drivers would be up to the standards set by past 'star' drivers. Totally my opinion though and not backable by any real facts.

DC also did well in the mid 90's cars and tracks.

DC also did well in the mid 90's cars and tracks.

Yeah, DC would do well. I sometimes forget how long he's been at this.. ;) . He definately has the stones needed for the old 'Ring. Again, it's unanswerable...

they need to brig back the old 'Ring and see who makes it. one way to separate the wheet from the chaff (no clue how to spell that)

when you think of it, non of the guys on the grid now have never raced in a race with both Senna, Prost and Schumacher. i think it is some nustalgia(no clue on spelling that one eter lol). now a days aero is the most importaint thing. the cars now go so fast and have so littile mechanical grip that moves like in the 80's and 90's are impossible. if yu dont have the aero and you turn the wheel left te car will just go strait no matterhow much you wat it to turn.

as for racecraft, i think its something that is learned to an extent but it is also born into someone. just being able to keep yo cool and function in situations tat a "normal" person would shy away from. if ou look at tapes of the Greats, they are comfortable in the car and just have something about them that others dont. yes they still have to work hard but they just have something that cant be expressed in words.

if you look at onboard video, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio(not on board but from the track in slow-mo), Stweart, Lauda, Keke, all of them, they just had a way of driving the car where they wanted to when they wanted to and how they wanted to. they made the car do what they wanted to, one smooth movement.

this is one of the better threads we have here and i hope it will stay alive for some time. Racecraft is the essence of the sport and alot of people talkabout it without realizing that it means

woo, most ive ever written

they need to brig back the old 'Ring and see who makes it. one way to separate the wheet from the chaff (no clue how to spell that)

when you think of it, non of the guys on the grid now have never raced in a race with both Senna, Prost and Schumacher. i think it is some nustalgia(no clue on spelling that one eter lol). now a days aero is the most importaint thing. the cars now go so fast and have so littile mechanical grip that moves like in the 80's and 90's are impossible. if yu dont have the aero and you turn the wheel left te car will just go strait no matterhow much you wat it to turn.

as for racecraft, i think its something that is learned to an extent but it is also born into someone. just being able to keep yo cool and function in situations tat a "normal" person would shy away from. if ou look at tapes of the Greats, they are comfortable in the car and just have something about them that others dont. yes they still have to work hard but they just have something that cant be expressed in words.

if you look at onboard video, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio(not on board but from the track in slow-mo), Stweart, Lauda, Keke, all of them, they just had a way of driving the car where they wanted to when they wanted to and how they wanted to. they made the car do what they wanted to, one smooth movement.

this is one of the better threads we have here and i hope it will stay alive for some time. Racecraft is the essence of the sport and alot of people talkabout it without realizing that it means

woo, most ive ever written

Good points. I'm glad you took time to pass 'em on to us.. :thbup:

I agree with you. I believe there is too much reliance on electronics and other gizmos and that some drivers just drive and allow the electronics to do the job rather than race and try to have some input into the whole thing.
Easier tracks allow driver's to compete who would normally not be 'up to snuff'. Can you imagine Ide, or even Klien, on the old Spa? Nordeschleiffe? Not likely. But these drivers are competitive on the imasculated Nurburgring and the new Tilke tracks. There's not alot of racecraft needed to negotiate those circuits.

I suppose there are a few current drivers that would 'cut the mustard' in the old days. Certainly MS had it enough to compete with Senna and Prost. JV has it in spades.

I know Jacques said he'd love racing on the old Nurburgring, his father said the same. Others may probably say it's too dangerous or something like. I totally agree with the above excerpt of your post.

well, he can race the old ring all he wants, he just needs to get in his car, play 20 euros or something like that and go have fun. Schumi does it all the time to test the new ferrari models he gets from the factory.

on another note though, todays new tracks can be made just as difficult or atleast more so, if the cars and drivers were less reliant on all the electric stuff in the cars. But its the downside to advancement, as the car was being invented people called for the horse, and now as we get further along they call for the old cars. Yes, those cars required more skill to drive(my oppinion), but if today we loose the ability to produce drivers that are born with that certain something, then we need to make the cars easier or there would be on F1

Interesting, has there been any effort made in assessing modern day drivers in terms of racecraft, on a points system???...

Kimi would come up tops...

For me Racecraft smells like gasoline and burned rubber...now it just smells like high tech plastic. ^_^

For me Racecraft smells like gasoline and burned rubber...now it just smells like high tech plastic. ^_^

:thbup: I love this!

I agree with you. I believe there is too much reliance on electronics and other gizmos and that some drivers just drive and allow the electronics to do the job rather than race and try to have some input into the whole thing.

I know Jacques said he'd love racing on the old Nurburgring, his father said the same. Others may probably say it's too dangerous or something like. I totally agree with the above excerpt of your post.

A few years back, Speed Channel in the US aired 'Grand Prix' and featured Jacques driving a 60's vintage Honda F1 car on the old Monza banking. That scored points with me regarding JV!

Interesting, has there been any effort made in assessing modern day drivers in terms of racecraft, on a points system???...

Kimi would come up tops...

its not about who has the best racecraft, its about what racecraft is, any ranking is totaly arbitray and meaning less. you could say that Montero had the best racecraft in 05 because he only flew out of one race. its about defining what racecraft is not who has it. just you saying that kimi would be on top skewed the whole plan

Agreed on both counts.......

its not about who has the best racecraft, its about what racecraft is, any ranking is totaly arbitray and meaning less. you could say that Montero had the best racecraft in 05 because he only flew out of one race. its about defining what racecraft is not who has it. just you saying that kimi would be on top skewed the whole plan

understand...