Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Top Three Worst Driver Errors Ever

The always hilarious and uplifting f1rejects.com have a list of the three worst driver errors ever:

:3rd: Mika Hakkinen at Monza in 1999; Having settled into a comfortable lead, Hakkinen suddenly spun going into the Retafilio. Inexcusably stalling his engine, he threw out his steering wheel hurriedly and ran away from his car like a man possessed, for what reason no-one quite knew.

It became apparent soon enough, and what happened added the soap opera to the brain fade. Hakkinen ran for the nearest bushes, took off his helmet, and exploded into tears, as cameras hovered around him as for a fugitive criminal. While it certainly showed the softer side of this usually unemotional ice-man, few knew whether to sympathise or laugh. But the sheer public-ness of the spin and the resulting water works earns him a well-deserved third place in this category.

:2nd: Damon Hill Hockenheim 1995, and Monza 1996 (these two tie for second); 1) Having torn away into the lead of the 1995 German GP, by the end of lap one he had a comfortable cushion over Schumacher. Then suddenly, going into the first corner, he lost the back end and spun off into the gravel trap and then the tyre wall. Though he would have loved to have blamed in on a mechanical failure, it was by all accounts a driver error. Schumacher literally could not believe his luck and coasted to an easy victory.

2) Hill was leading the 1996 Italian GP. Cones and then tyres had been placed on the inside apexes of the chicane to prevent kerb-hopping, but in a moment of carelessness Hill clipped one of those sets of tyres on lap 6, damaging the front suspension and forcing him to spin, upon which he stalled the engine anyway. Schu won this GP too.

:1st: David Coulthard at Adelaide 1995; Scot David Coulthard was leading the race strongly in his Williams/Renault when he came in for his first scheduled pit stop for fuel and tyres. Or at least tried to come in.

Braking hard as he entered the pit lane, Coulthard slid straight on into the pit wall, destroying his front left suspension, and compelling Murray Walker to produce an ear-splitting scream which seemed excessive even by his standards.

Wow, Ctrl300 - the worst ever??? That might take some thought - but those are some pretty good candidates to get us started!!!!

DC still blames a throttle blip from the Williams Renault for his understeering into the pit wall. :wacko:

DC still blames a throttle blip from the Williams Renault for his understeering into the pit wall. :wacko:

Also he wasnt the only driver to run into the pit wall that race. Someone else did it too.

I think Jenson Button deserves a mention when he managed to run his Williams into a wall while behind the safety car.

indeed JB does deserve a mention. As does 7 times WDC Michael Schumacher for crashing under the safety car in Monaco 2004!

i cant sleep!

indeed JB does deserve a mention. As does 7 times WDC Michael Schumacher for crashing under the safety car in Monaco 2004!

i cant sleep!

Im glad you see it that way. Im perfectly willing to admitt that DC made a mistake (though im not certain, he said it wasnt his fault) but both DC's and JB's accidents were very funny to watch.

Also he wasnt the only driver to run into the pit wall that race. Someone else did it too.

I think Jenson Button deserves a mention when he managed to run his Williams into a wall while behind the safety car.

Cant remember who else hit the pit wall, I think your right thou. It's a bugger of a pit enterance at Adelaide, wonder how no V8 Supercars have nailed it recently, the hit everything else imaginable!!!!!!!

a bugger of a pit enterance at Adelaide, wonder how no V8 Supercars have nailed it recently, the hit everything else imaginable!!!!!!!

That was one great race. Ive never seen so many cars bouncing across walls.

It was Roberto Moreno in the Forti, but instead of hitting it head on like DC, he spun backwards into it then went into his pit.

Hakkinen spinning at monza, hardly one of the worst errors of all time is it?? it was just a spin, happens all the time! No-one has mentioned Taki Inoue crashing into the safety car

I don't think Inoue ever ran into the Safety Car. To the best of my memory, he was run over by it after he got out of his car in the '95 Hungarian GP.

I know Heidfeld crashed into the open door of the Emergency Car in '01 I think in Brazil during the warmp up. Apparently the Emergency Car was tending to Bernoldi's Arrows, Nick just lost it and hit the car, he and everyone else were pretty lucky to get away unharmed.

DC also had a spin in warm up lap in Monza 95.

MS blowing an engine in 96 France gp in warm up lap....

we could go and on ...... :D:D

i cant sleep!

Maybe schumi was taking a quick nap. afterall hes one of the oldest arround

Maybe schumi was taking a quick nap. afterall hes one of the oldest arround

:clap3::clap3: After the lunch he usually has a 20min nap :blink:

hmmm.....schumi coming into Albers during the chinese GP.........very funny indeed...he must have gone to sleep.......

hmmm.....schumi coming into Albers during the chinese GP.........very funny indeed...he must have gone to sleep.......

Yet again??!!! :roll::roll:

i forgot who did this, but the guy who caused the 99 canadian GP crash. everybody but MS and Mika had a 20 car pileup going into the first coner. 7 guys needed the t cars and i thnk 2 others had to quit because the #1 driver had the t car.

i forgot who did this, but the guy who caused the 99 canadian GP crash. everybody but MS and Mika had a 20 car pileup going into the first coner. 7 guys needed the t cars and i thnk 2 others had to quit because the #1 driver had the t car.

Sounds like Spa 98. The crash was caused by DC losing it.

I watched another clip on there where MS went up DC's a## when trying to lap him. I understand to an extent why he is upset, but really it was his own fault. DC should have moved over to let him pass (blue flags?), but if you can't see 2 feet infront of you obviously DC hasn't moved over (cause your still getting his direct spray) and pasting your foot down on the throttle and taking a chance like that was rather silly - That effort would definently go on my list (maybe not top 3).

One of my favorite drivers, Nigel Mansell, stalling his car while waving to the crowd on the last lap (Canadian GP, 1991 I think...).

Hi-larious...

I still have that race on tape. I love seeing MS storming to the McLaren garage to biff DC one.

It was EJ's 1st win aswell, if I remember correctly.

I remember the Coulthard into the wall incident like it was yesterday... Was a good laugh indeed.

One of my favorite drivers, Nigel Mansell, stalling his car while waving to the crowd on the last lap (Canadian GP, 1991 I think...).

Hi-larious...

Another cracker!!! :clap3:

I feel like im betraying DC here but this is the video of him running into the pit wall.

http://www.farzadsf1gallery.com/features/adel95/adel4.mpg

here's another viewpoint

http://www.farzadsf1gallery.com/features/adel95/adel3.mpg

and here's the other driver that crashed on the same corner.

http://www.farzadsf1gallery.com/features/adel95/adel5.mpg

Right click and select Save As