Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Prost Vs Senna

Who was the best driver  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best

• Prost
    • Senna
    • Huh? Never heard of any of them.

Both are 'thinking' drivers. Prost was called 'The Professor' because he approached every aspect of a race, from car set-up to racing line, with a mathematical precision unmatched by his competition. MS is the same way. You can see this by his inspection of his rival's cars after a race. Also, MS has the presence-of-mind to adjust brake bias at least three times each lap during a race. (Massa tried this a few times and ended up spinning). There are numerous other instances of MS thinking along the same lines as Prost, but for the sake of time I just gave a few.

Senna, by comparison, drove with an instinctual 'passion'. This is not to say Senna didn't do his share of 'thinking' as his intelligence is well-known, but during a race it was almost all instinct for him. This is proven by Senna's own words. He describes his fastest laps as almost an 'out-of-body' experience. This is the hallmark of an 'instinctual' driver.

It's interesting to note that all three of them would blip the throttle on apex; not many drivers these days do that. It results in a faster exit speed and, in effect, lengthens out the straights following a turn. Prost's apex-accelleration is precise; you can hear it, lap after lap, nailing the correct revs like a computer would. You can look at the graphics in current races to see MS also nails his apex-accelleration with mathematical perfection.

Again you produce a brillian p

Senna's 1991 machinery wasnt as superior as the Williams. If it werent for reliability, Mansell might have won his first in 1991. 1986 if he had made the pass in Mexico City or if the tire had held up.

And you base that hilarious statement on what exactly?

silvermachine is right, you wrong... :D

We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this topic.

BTW. The most unbelievable season of all time by a driver in a rubbish car came in 1993 where Senna finished 2nd in the championship in car worthy of being a Cuban taxi. To this day his performances in Adelaide and Donington are two of the greatest ive ever seen... He also happened to beat Prost on several races that year who was in a car so fast, Mansell said "Even a monkey could win the world championship in it".

Your observations on the 93 McLaren are wrong. If the car was so bad how did he manage to win 5 races? Oh yeah, thats right, the Williams was so superior that neither Hill nor The Professor managed to haul in his Indian taxi? The Williams was the better car, but not in a league of its own a you persist it was. Mind you, Hill was a pretty potent driver as well, ok it was his first season, but Prost thrashed him.

You are right, we will have to agree theat we disagree. But deep down you know I am right.. ;)

Your observations on the 93 McLaren are wrong. If the car was so bad how did he manage to win 5 races? Oh yeah, thats right, the Williams was so superior that neither Hill nor The Professor managed to haul in his Indian taxi? The Williams was the better car, but not in a league of its own a you persist it was. Mind you, Hill was a pretty potent driver as well, ok it was his first season, but Prost thrashed him.

You are right, we will have to agree theat we disagree. But deep down you know I am right.. ;)

He won 5 races because he was the greatest driver of all time... its as simple as that! Look at how Hakkenen & Andretti performed in the same car in 93.

Just to prove that Senna was infact better than Prost look at the poll results... 13 people agree with me, and just 3 with you ;)

He won 5 races because he was the greatest driver of all time... its as simple as that! Look at how Hakkenen & Andretti performed in the same car in 93.

Just to prove that Senna was infact better than Prost look at the poll results... 13 people agree with me, and just 3 with you ;)

The poll result means nothing, it just goes to show how ignorant people are and that they vote stricktly based on the overall hype that surrounds Senna. I would bet you 80% of those whom voted for him have not even seen footage of him race.

Hakkinen was in his rookie season and came in half way through. That is a poor measurement to make.

What I find funny is that of the 16 or so people whom have voted only four have given any reason for their votes. Autumnpuma and myself make up 2/3rd's of those voted for Prost, while you are the only one flying Senna's colours. It appears that you only have dimwits on your team my friend :mf_tongue::lol:

The poll result means nothing, it just goes to show how ignorant people are and that they vote stricktly based on the overall hype that surrounds Senna. I would bet you 80% of those whom voted for him have not even seen footage of him race.

Hakkinen was in his rookie season and came in half way through. That is a poor measurement to make.

What I find funny is that of the 16 or so people whom have voted only four have given any reason for their votes. Autumnpuma and myself make up 2/3rd's of those voted for Prost, while you are the only one flying Senna's colours. It appears that you only have dimwits on your team my friend :mf_tongue::lol:

Infact I think we are the only two arguing about it... it could be we are the only two to have seen either of them race. Irrespective of who we think was the better driver the truth is they were both unbelievable brilliant, and undoubtedly the greatest team mate pairing formula 1 has ever (and probably will ever) see!

Infact I think we are the only two arguing about it... it could be we are the only two to have seen either of them race. Irrespective of who we think was the better driver the truth is they were both unbelievable brilliant, and undoubtedly the greatest team mate pairing formula 1 has ever (and probably will ever) see!

I'll drink to that :cheers:

I'll drink to that :cheers:

You see, we have to make mates since we will be supporting the same team (and possibly even the same driver) next season... Cheers :beer22:

You see, we have to make mates since we will be supporting the same team (and possibly even the same driver) next season... Cheers :beer22:

I have no quarells with that!

I think Alonso's arrival will provide a much needed breath of fresh air to McLaren, and if Kimi stays we might see the best driver line up since, yes the two we can't agree upon.

Anyways, next year will be happy days!

:cheers:

silvermachine is right, you wrong... :D

We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this topic.

BTW. The most unbelievable season of all time by a driver in a rubbish car came in 1993 where Senna finished 2nd in the championship in car worthy of being a Cuban taxi. To this day his performances in Adelaide and Donington are two of the greatest ive ever seen... He also happened to beat Prost on several races that year who was in a car so fast, Mansell said "Even a monkey could win the world championship in it".

Yes, but don't forget that Mansell was out in '93 and Prost was in, and 'el Leon' was bitter about it too. He was off to America after throwing his toys out of the pram, and his comments were designed to diminish whatever Prost managed to accomplish in what he believed should have been "his" ride.

And I am the third who voted for Prost - And at the risk of sounding even more arrogant than I usually do, I have to agree with Ctrl300 on this one, those who voted for Prost do seem to at least offer a more reasoned basis for doing so.

Well I voted Huh? because this pole is flawed as there should've been an equel choice, but I base this on purely the sheer joy both drivers brought to F1, watching them both race was a privalge that many didn't get to see, the arguments and stats to me don't mean as much as the pleasure of watching 2 greats go at it.

Very good point, but I still voted Alain. Of course, it doesn't really matter does it, just as you say.

Very good point, but I still voted Alain. Of course, it doesn't really matter does it, just as you say.

Something has to give. Funkejay, Autum, Monza and I all claim to have voted for Prost. Problem is that he has only got three votes :lol:

Well pump I created this thread just to show that Prost was great, and in my view the greatest, and I wanted people to get familiar with him and not just yell out Senna when past masters are discussed. But I, and everyone with a brain agree with you, they both where priceless to F1.

And Funkejay, I am really happy that we see eye to eye on this :cheers:

Something has to give. Funkejay, Autum, Monza and I all claim to have voted for Prost. Problem is that he has only got three votes :lol:

Well pump I created this thread just to show that Prost was great, and in my view the greatest, and I wanted people to get familiar with him and not just yell out Senna when past masters are discussed. But I, and everyone with a brain agree with you, they both where priceless to F1.

And Funkejay, I am really happy that we see eye to eye on this :cheers:

I dunno, my screen shows I've already voted, and I know I voted for Alain.......

Me too, Ctrl!!!!! :cheers:

There is no greatest, only the great drivers of their time in the sport.........eg Fangio, pithy little helmut , white short sleved shirt forearms like rocks driving cars that todays and even the last generation of drivers would have them crying uncle in...........

I would bet you 80% of those whom voted for him have not even seen footage of him race.

:mf_tongue::lol:

this is exactly the reason i have not voted - embarassing as it may be too admit i dont actually remember either of these drivers racing (i blame my mispent youth!!) and therefore think it would be unfair to add my vote based purely on reputations

There is no greatest, only the great drivers of their time in the sport.........eg Fangio, pithy little helmut , white short sleved shirt forearms like rocks driving cars that todays and even the last generation of drivers would have them crying uncle in...........

Now you are talking a whole different league again. I don't even think safety was on the agenda.

Although the greatest of his era, I wouldnt rate him as one of the best ever... He always jumped teams to ensure he ALWAYS was in the quickest car.

Yes pump, I do also miss the Senna vs Prost feuds!

The plot thickens...

I may be able to clear things up. When I voted, I did so quickly and with a very small browser window (I am loafing at work). Perhaps I inadvertantly clicked on the wrong bubble in my rush to avoid being caught! If so, then Prost shoud have one more than he currently does. :blush:

I may be able to clear things up. When I voted, I did so quickly and with a very small browser window (I am loafing at work). Perhaps I inadvertantly clicked on the wrong bubble in my rush to avoid being caught! If so, then Prost shoud have one more than he currently does. :blush:

Ah, finally the solution to our mystery :D

Well, take that all you Senna fanatics, the poll should actually read 4 vs 12 :mf_tongue::lol::lol:

Ah, finally the solution to our mystery :D

Well, take that all you Senna fanatics, the poll should actually read 4 vs 12 :mf_tongue::lol::lol:

5 I might say...

I voted for Prost too... first because theres no option for "both", second because he is french and third because he could use his brains so well. Somebody compared him with Schumacher, (the way they drive like a computer)...well, Prost used his brains and Schumi... a computer in the "computer racing simulators" that the F1 cars are nowadays.

Prost had a perfect control over the setup of the cars, he could feel every bump, every mark in the tarmac, he became ONE with the car, while Senna used Prost setups to make the fastest lap everytime!

I remember my Dad telling me that Prost prepared the car for Ayrton because he didnt have the capacity of Prost to setup the car.

I used to hate Senna (As I do with Schumacher now) but really feel sad when he departed this world, my heroe was always Prost.

In the other way Senna was the most dedicated racer in all the F1 history, all the time running, all the time training, going into Karts in the winter, He was Mr.Dedication.

I miss both of them, When Ayrton died, the F1 changed forever, I remember both with a big smile in my face.

And I