Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Prost Vs Senna

Who was the best driver  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best

• Prost
    • Senna
    • Huh? Never heard of any of them.

Could Prost have won at Suzuka 1988 if he had the situation Senna had? I doubt it.

Also, look at how Senna held off Prost at Silverstone in 1993.

Could Prost have won at Suzuka 1988 if he had the situation Senna had? I doubt it.

Also, look at how Senna held off Prost at Silverstone in 1993.

Nice one AR5 ;)

I may be able to clear things up. When I voted, I did so quickly and with a very small browser window (I am loafing at work). Perhaps I inadvertantly clicked on the wrong bubble in my rush to avoid being caught! If so, then Prost shoud have one more than he currently does. :blush:

You can admit it puma, you a closet Senna fan!

You can admit it puma, you a closet Senna fan!

I am a HUGE Senna fan. But I remember all those classic battles and while Senna delivered some jaw-dropping performances, Prost was the more complete package. I always saw Senna and thought 'he's the best' but then I'd see Prost and decide I was wrong. :D

They were the best of their era but for my all-time best I'd pick Gilles. Hands down.

They were the best of their era but for my all-time best I'd pick Gilles. Hands down.

You can't be serious, best ever? You will come up with some very good expalantions my friend.

Some stats:

Races 67

Points 101

Wins 6 (8.96%)

WC Titles 0

Poles 2 (2.99%)

Retirements 28 (41.79%)

Podiums 13 (19.40%)

Debut 1977 Silverstone

First Win 1978 Montreal

First Pole 1979 Long Beach

First Podium 1978 Osterreichring

Not the best stats I have seen, but again stats only goes that far in explaining a driver. But two pole positions and 6 wins from 67 races over 5 seasons and some races mostly in a Ferrari, I don't know...

You can't be serious, best ever? You will come up with some very good expalantions my friend.

Some stats:

Races 67

Points 31

Wins 6 (8.96%)

WC Titles 0

Poles 2 (2.99%)

Retirements 28 (41.79%)

Podiums 13 (19.40%)

Debut 1977 Silverstone

First Win 1978 Montreal

First Pole 1979 Long Beach

First Podium 1978 Osterreichring

Not the best stats I have seen, but again stats only goes that far in explaining a driver. But two pole positions and 6 wins from 67 races over 5 seasons and some races mostly in a Ferrari, I don't know...

You've called me out and I have nothing to show you!

My estimation is based on nothing more logical than I enjoyed watching him more than any other driver I've seen in the past 15-20 years. I think he would have done great things if he'd lived longer, but again, that is just my feeling :D

Ctrl, your stats are perfect and do tell a tale. But for me there is a place beyond statistics where the sheer awe of a driver's skill almost brings tears to your eyes. Magical drives that burn themselves into the brain and leave you thinking you'd seen the impossible. My reasons are purely emotional and, for determining an all-time best, quite sufficient. :D

Remember, I said my all-time best, not the statistical best ;)

Indeed that is a strech.......

Well my all time best is Mario Andretti, he has won in all forms of motorsport plus he's a WDC and has won just about every major race that is out there from dirt bullrings to the Indy 500, Daytona 500 LeMans etc.......

Hey, who are the 2 that voted "Huh? Never heard of any of them."? :blink:

*cough, cough*

Well I voted Huh? because this pole is flawed as there should've been an equel choice, but I base this on purely the sheer joy both drivers brought to F1, watching them both race was a privalge that many didn't get to see, the arguments and stats to me don't mean as much as the pleasure of watching 2 greats go at it.

*cough, cough*

Good Lord, pump, I'm going senile :wacko:

early onset :P

early onset :P

Very early, Im not quite 40...I pity my wife, I'll be happy in my senility, but she'll go insane :D

Very early, Im not quite 40...I pity my wife, I'll be happy in my senility, but she'll go insane :D

my wifes gone over with me, as I type this in my lair (the entertainment room/bar/home office) she's content to do her sewing and crafts and later on make wild monkey love to me :naughty::naughty::naughty:

my wifes gone over with me, as I type this in my lair (the entertainment room/bar/home office) she's content to do her sewing and crafts and later on make wild monkey love to me :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Woo Hoo! Speaking of which, I'd better go see if my own wife is still awake :naughty:

Night all!

Stats lie. Firstly, apart from the 1979 and 1982 Ferrari's, the rest were downright dogs. How Gilles managed to win at Jarama in '81 is beyond me, whilst he could have fought for the title in 1979 but honoured team orders. Siz wins might not sound alot to some of you, but that amount of wins will never do such a talent justice.

Fangio and Moss said Gilles was a driver of their era and was one of the best and certainly one of the fastest of all time.

For what it's worth Gilles isn't my all time greatest, Senna is, but Gilles is right up there with the very best, certainly in terms of speed.

Stats lie. Firstly, apart from the 1979 and 1982 Ferrari's, the rest were downright dogs. How Gilles managed to win at Jarama in '81 is beyond me, whilst he could have fought for the title in 1979 but honoured team orders. Siz wins might not sound alot to some of you, but that amount of wins will never do such a talent justice.

Fangio and Moss said Gilles was a driver of their era and was one of the best and certainly one of the fastest of all time.

For what it's worth Gilles isn't my all time greatest, Senna is, but Gilles is right up there with the very best, certainly in terms of speed.

You still have not provided any reason for why you rate Senna over Prost. Do you even have a reason or is it purely based on the overall hype?

Gilles was a damn good driver, in my top-5 certainly. Monaco in 1981 and Jarama 1981 were brilliant, and didn't he break a suspension piece while 20 seconds ahead, and win the race by 20 seconds at one point?

Gilles had the testicular fortitude that the cars force many of the drivers to lack today.

Gilles had the testicular fortitude that the cars force many of the drivers to lack today.

You, sir, have summed it up exactly! :clap3:

Gilles was a damn good driver, in my top-5 certainly. Monaco in 1981 and Jarama 1981 were brilliant, and didn't he break a suspension piece while 20 seconds ahead, and win the race by 20 seconds at one point?

When and where did you watch these races, AR5? They were before you were born!!!

When and where did you watch these races, AR5? They were before you were born!!!

Exactly, and if you have a VHS or DVD of them, gimme the link so I can get them too!

Its called Reading. Many Americans haven't heard of it. If I find it, I'll get it.

Some Americans are the file below:

Its called Reading. Many Americans haven't heard of it. If I find it, I'll get it.

Some Americans are the file below:

:lol: Excellent!

Or about half the state of Alabama, or Mississippi, or Louisiana.

You still have not provided any reason for why you rate Senna over Prost. Do you even have a reason or is it purely based on the overall hype?

The point of my post was not to highlight Senna as my favourite but to explain why some could see Gilles as their no 1 and in explaining that stating Gilles isn't the best in my opinion.

As for Senna v Prost, whilst I have the utmost respect for Prost, I always thought Senna had that extra something to give always. Whilst Prost was rightly known as the professor for his calculating ways, Senna could just do things noone else could without thinking about it. Take qualifying at Monaco in '88 or '89 when he just went faster and faster and faster and was over a second faster than Prost.

Then there were drivers such as Suzuka '88, Donington '93 to name but two. The way he hauled the '93 McLaren to 5 wins and a shot at the title and the '94 Williams to 2 poles when neither car was befitting of such achievements is something I don't believe Prost could have done.

Take also Senna's brilliant qualifying abilities, hisbrilliance in the wet compared to Prost who for some reason couldn't get his head around the conditions in account and he comes out ahead of Prost.

Finally, there was Ayrton's attitude to the sport which totally revolutionised it. He was the first to focus heavily on fitness and fitness regimes, he was always the last to exit debriefs as he was so gifted in terms of the technical aspects of the car.

I have other reasons which I have mentioned when this debate occured on this forum a while back and I cannot be bothered searching for them, but that's just a tidbit to explain my view.

Don't get me wrong, I feel both are great, but Senna was greater.