Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Prost Vs Senna

Who was the best driver  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best

• Prost
    • Senna
    • Huh? Never heard of any of them.

Crap I voted Senna by accident...can an admin wipe it so i can vote again or everyone imagine Senna has one less and Prost has one more...

There is no need to be ashamed mate... Most agree with your hearty vote! ;)

I never liked majority's, they have an aweful habit of getting things wrong :P

Wish Senna was still alive and on this forum...we'd have one more vote for Prost then :msn-wink:

:lol::lol::lol:

I voted Prost, and I'll tell you why. Senna was unbelievably talented, and probably gifted with more raw skill than any other driver to have ever piloted a single seater race car of any configuration. However, I think Prost was the better overall package, and was a far greater thinking man's driver.

Although each was a multiple world champion, and therefore shared many of the same skills and talents necessary to achieve that goal, I think that Senna and Prost were, in many ways, diametric opposites, which probably contributed to their famous and long standing fued. For example, Senna was much more passionate, and Prost was much more rational. While Senna represented consumate talent, Prost embodied analytic perfection. Whereas Senna relied upon his otherwordly car control, Prost relied upon his race craft.

As a result, it is hard to compare the two, but in the end, I think Prost's more holistic approach to his craft gives him somewhat of an edge.

Perfet Post. I couldn

(= Thanx All ! For good posts #122-etc !

I agree with almost every word.

Just can add: most fans know and remember PP: AP/AS = 33/65.

And it seems like AS was 2 times quicker (= than AP, hehe.

But if all fans can find not PP but FrontRows: AP/AS = 86/87.

I know, they have GP done as: AP/AS ~ 200/160 (like 5/4).

But above stats also says us, as AP said:

"AS was always too risky and too fast in Quals, and as i always said:

"let`s see the race finish and who is quicker there"."

FrontRow was often just enough for AP - to make a good race.

But Senna was happy only with PP, as he has just 22 2nd in Quals.

Of course he is, that is not even worthy of debate. ;)

They were competing in different eras. In their common GPs - 1993 - MS lost \ AP won.

Points: 52 \ 99 and Wins 1 \ 7. Wanna debate ? Ok, may recall end of `91 too.

(= Huh? Never heard of any of them. (kidding) MS uber allez !

i thing 8 votes to prost are all from the same guy

(= Any Arguements ? And maybe all votes for Senna are all from the sames ?

In today`s scoring system (Top-8-2003+) AP could have 7-WDC:

83-84-85-86, 88-89, 93.

And Senna ? Just 2: 90-91 ! Oke, if he be alive ... maybe +94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ? 8-WDC ?

(= And Schum ... just 5-WDC: 00-04.

For me the decisions is split.

the way i see it is........

Emotional decision; Senna

Conscious decison : Prost

that kind of fits with the way people think how they drive!

Senna: raw emotion and talent

Prost : so calculated and presise

Prost had 2 of his titles before Senna got into the c#ckpit. From that standpoint Senna won, because the count was 3:2 whilst he was driving. I feel he would have won more as well if he hadn't have died

After reading the whole thread I just realized this is some old topic! Ouch!

Well, anyways as I just voted I will back up my decision:

It is very, very, VERY hard to vote for any one of these drivers (If you would have thrown in Gilles & Fangio, it wouldn't be any easier either) Numbers mean nothing as they can be played and turned around to show than even Ide was better than Schumacher ("less number of cheats" :naughty: ) At certain levels, numbers are just worthless, you are watching pure genius in the track, so shut up and enjoy. What painting is better, Da Vinci's "La Gioconda" or Van Gogh's "Field with crows"? Who cares! There is only one thing that matters: which one do you prefer on a purely subjective basis. I watched Prost and Senna race (and I doubt we will ever seen such a clash of talents again)

Facts:

1) Prost was more of a mental driver and Senna was more of a driver by instinct. But those are just gross drawings of each personality. Prost was also a very passionate men in the heat of the battle, and Senna's presumed ignorance of technical questions was a serious understatement.

2) Formula 1 is a very machine dependable sport. It is more so now, but it was already evident at the time. None of them would have won if they drove a 1979 Merzario, or a Copersucar, don't you think? ;) So, how do we know if they were so great, machine power apart? Just because we watched them race. I just recalled at some other topic Donnington'93. You won't see a race like that nowadays. Yes, rules have changed. Yes, cars are different. But to deny the genius displayed on the track both from Prost and Senna (and, guess who? Barrichello!) needs some serious biasing effort.

Having said all that, I pick Senna. Why? Because he was better than Prost? Not at all! I am a HUGE fan of Prost! I think Prost was the best driver on Earth. But Senna was otherworldly... I just find Senna more fun to watch, made me shout like a maniac with his relentless, suicidal moves which only he could succesfuly get away with. The closest to that I have saw in recent times was Alonso over Schumacher on 130R last year.

(remember? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LuKW7DrtbM) Yet Prost and Senna pulled stunts like that every race!

Anyways, no matter which one gets ellected as the best one, I will be happy. Those guys gave the greatest F1 show I have seen so far and no stupid poll will make me change my opinion about them or about my totally subjective preference for Senna's style over Prost's.

Pheww...that's all.

I dont think Stats and Figs are entirely the best way to measure some one's ability.

Stats and Figs only measure an outcome.

to measure some ones ability, first we have to come up with a correct way of measuring.

the stat's and figs, dont account for crap teams, nor other people running into you or mechanical failures where the driver sometimes is not accountable for.

A flexable scale / system is required to measure as a rough guide. It's too complicated.

it's worst than doing your taxes.

i am afraid this debate leaves no other decision than a "What if" scenario. :eusa_think:

1) Prost was more of a mental driver and Senna was more of a driver by instinct. But those are just gross drawings of each personality. Prost was also a very passionate men in the heat of the battle, and Senna's presumed ignorance of technical questions was a serious understatement.

2) Formula 1 is a very machine dependable sport. It is more so now, but it was already evident at the time. None of them would have won if they drove a 1979 Merzario, or a Copersucar, don't you think? ;) So, how do we know if they were so great, machine power apart? Just because we watched them race. I just recalled at some other topic Donnington'93. You won't see a race like that nowadays. Yes, rules have changed. Yes, cars are different. But to deny the genius displayed on the track both from Prost and Senna (and, guess who? Barrichello!) needs some serious biasing effort.

Having said all that, I pick Senna. Why? Because he was better than Prost? Not at all! I am a HUGE fan of Prost! I think Prost was the best driver on Earth. But Senna was otherworldly... I just find Senna more fun to watch, made me shout like a maniac with his relentless, suicidal moves which only he could succesfuly get away with. The closest to that I have saw in recent times was Alonso over Schumacher on 130R last year.

(remember? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LuKW7DrtbM) Yet Prost and Senna pulled stunts like that every race!

Anyways, no matter which one gets ellected as the best one, I will be happy. Those guys gave the greatest F1 show I have seen so far and no stupid poll will make me change my opinion about them or about my totally subjective preference for Senna's style over Prost's.

Pheww...that's all.

The thing people don't always come across about senna is that he had this skill to pull the absolute out of his machinery and extract every last ounce of speed out of it, and he had the ability to achieve very good results in technically inferior machinery. This is what i feel set him apart from any other F1 driver.

The thing people don't always come across about senna is that he had this skill to pull the absolute out of his machinery and extract every last ounce of speed out of it, and he had the ability to achieve very good results in technically inferior machinery. This is what i feel set him apart from any other F1 driver.

Indeed, The 1993 Mclaren for example was an absolute donkey... just ask Andretti & Hakkinen, and yet Senna won several races and finished runner up in the championship.

The one i always remember was his win at Brazil in that car, he actually caught and passed Hill despite Hill being in the much more powerful williams

The one i always remember was his win at Brazil in that car, he actually caught and passed Hill despite Hill being in the much more powerful williams

Yeah, his victories at Donington in the rain & Adelade were also pure genius!

I shall have to get hold of those, if someone still has them on a VHS somewhere and can rip them :D

man, comparing these two guys is so hard

if you go by stats, you'll have one income,

but if you go by the side by side, you'll have another.

i think they were both amazing drivers.

im partial to Senna because he was who I always cheered for growing up.

I wonder what they would say about each other if Senna was alive today

Ayrton Senna - by Alain Prost

Alain Prost was talking to Nigel Roebuck

"Honestly, it's very difficult for me to talk about Ayrton, and not only because he's not here any more. He was so different, you know, so completely different from any other racing driver - any other person - I've ever known..."

Speaking now, more than four years after the death of Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost is in an invidious position, for while the two are linked for ever, indisputably the best drivers of their generation, so also each was very much the other's nemesis. That being the case, in discussing Senna, Prost cannot win, and Prost knows it. Come out with only kind words, and some will say that he sang a very different tune when Ayrton was alive; go the other way, and they will vilify him for daring to criticise a defenceless icon.

"That's why I have always refused to speak about him," says Prost. "When he died, I said, that I felt a part of me had died also, because our careers had been so bound together. And I really meant it, but I know some people thought it was not sincere. Well, all I can do is try to be as honest as possible."

From the very beginning of Ayrton Senna's Formula One career, back in 1984, his sights were set squarely on Prost. In a way it was inevitable, for Ayrton was a man of extraordinary intensity, one who needed to prove himself the best in all things, and at that time Alain was very much the king of the hill. It was their very first meeting that was to set the tone of their relationships down the years.

"I remember it very well. In the spring of 1984, the new N

"The pressure was so high, so high... If we had to do it all again, I think I'd say to Ayrton, 'Listen, we're the best, we can screw all the others!' With a lot of intelligence, it could have been such good dream. Still, even as it turned out, it was a fantastic story, don't you think? And I think, in a way, we're missing a little of that today."

Yes :clap3:

Yes :clap3:

Out of context.

Besides, Senna embrased Prost at his last GP in Australia and continued to call on him for help and inspiration before he died. The Professor v the Sped-devil.

IMHO, the former came out on top. Easy as that. Honda, sponsorship, etc ect etc. Need I go on?

Ctrl, I though we all came to agreement about 10 pages ago in this topic that Senna was undoubtedly not only the better driver of the 2, but also the best ever :)

='Ctrl300' date='May 10 2006, 12:19 PM' post='116032']

And you base that hilarious statement on what exactly

Well if you base everything off a win to race ratio then Schumacher was better than both of them put together! but as we all know scumacher never actually beat either Prost or Senna in a full race distance in 1993 Senna was just pipped by Prost who was basically driving a computer on wheels, Senna and Scumacher had much slower and less technical cars in that season. For my money Senna gave me much more pleasure to watch than Prost, although there is no denying Prost's talent.

='Ctrl300' date='May 10 2006, 12:19 PM' post='116032']

And you base that hilarious statement on what exactly

Well if you base everything off a win to race ratio then Schumacher was better than both of them put together! but as we all know scumacher never actually beat either Prost or Senna in a full race distance in 1993 Senna was just pipped by Prost who was basically driving a computer on wheels, Senna and Scumacher had much slower and less technical cars in that season. For my money Senna gave me much more pleasure to watch than Prost, although there is no denying Prost's talent.

I suppose that should sum-up this whole debate. And speaking of pleasure to watch....nice avatar :D

I suppose that should sum-up this whole debate. And speaking of pleasure to watch....nice avatar :D

While it lasted :nono1:

I guess you had to be quick to see it :lol::D