Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J_Newtown_V

JV's Future At BMW

BMW-Sauber  

27 members have voted

1. 1. After 5 races, who is #1 at BMW-Sauber

• Nick Heidfeld
    • Jacques Villeneuve

JV to Renault and Montoya to BMW... :eusa_think: Sounds plausible... Super Mario is a fan of JPM, if I remember rightly...Tho I think Toyota is a more sound destinatin for JPM, but who knows?

Jacques knows he's out of BMW so he's now trying to raise his stock with the other top teams.

Well at this early point of the season I'd say they're on about the same level. JV was better yesterday but NH was better the first 3 races.

You find Schumi attractive??

JV was ahead of NH in the first race till his engine blew. I would say it is 3-2 in favour of JV

Moreover, "Jacques' good results don't convince me to keep him next year. It only convices me to keep him for the next race..."
Well if Jacques' results are only enough to warrant a race by race deal (yes I know it's not his contract, but you get what I mean), then Nick's fans should really be worried ;)

The above quote really confirms to me that no matter how good he goes, Jacques isn't fighting for a spot at BMW Sauber, he's fighting for his future.

JV was better yesterday but NH was better the first 3 races.

JV was better at Bahrain and Imola, apart from Nurburgring whilst it would have been interesting to see how JV would have went in Melbourne without the 10 grid demotion. Bahrain is abit of a hard one to judge, but Jacques got by Nick prior to Nick being punted by Nico and was pulling away from him and had a shot at points had his engines not went.

I agree, it is very encouraging to watch. Undoubtedly his best season since '97.
I disagree. Jacques was far more consistent and and damn quick in 2000. Aside from flashes of brilliance since then, this is the best I've seen him race/qualify etc since 2000.
JV to Renault and Montoya to BMW...

Sounds good to me!

As for the whole JV v Nick thing, they're pretty close but JV has the edge, only slightly though.

All I would like to say in this debate is that it is still ealry days and either driver may thrash the other during the season. Hopefully NH spanks JV so that we will not have to see 16 treads posted by JV-hooligans everytime he does something ordinary on track.

I disagree. Jacques was far more consistent and and damn quick in 2000. Aside from flashes of brilliance since then, this is the best I've seen him race/qualify etc since 2000.

You're quite right. I stand corrected. JV did a very considerable job in 2000, and scored BAR's first podium finish.

BMW - Dr Mario Praises JV!!

Finally JV getting the recognition he deserves!!! Go JV go!!! The full article...

Any suggestions that, at the age of 34, Jacques would struggle to compete with the next generation of F1 racers have been comprehensively quelled in the first two months of the season. After watching JV score points in three of the five opening races, the delighted Theissen, not prone to hyperbole, has been moved to observe that Jacques "has proved he is one of the strong drivers in Formula One."

For BMW, too, the 2006 season has began in bright fashion. Teething problems with fusing the BMW and Sauber camps have been conspicuous by their absence since the buy-out last November. Moreover, the nascent team has regularly out-paced luminaries such as Toyota and Williams, while JV himself was able to fend off the Renault of Giancarlo Fisichella and Juan Pablo Montoya's McLaren for long periods of the European GP.

BMW are already renowned for their attention to detail, and the team's meticulous approach to their debut season was reflected in their driver selection. Theissen only publicly confirmed BMW's driver line-up in late January, a consequence of a thorough process which ensured that the team's drivers were the best available.

"We watched Jacques throughout last season," explains Mario Theissen. "It was apparent that even a World Champion cannot come back after a one-year break and be right there from the beginning. In the second half of the season Jacques was gaining ground, closing in on his team-mate [Felipe Massa], putting in some strong performances.

"After that we had a few discussions and after the season we got the impression that he was very motivated and wanted to prove he was still one of the top drivers in Formula 1. On that basis we decided to have him with us this year."

It was a choice, says Theissen with evident satisfaction, that has been thoroughly vindicated by JV's impressive start to the season.

"After five races now we can say Jacques has put in a lot of effort and he has proved he is one of the strong drivers in Formula One. He does a good job for the team, has worked very hard and collected six of our eleven points.

"He is very committed and, together with Nick and our young test driver Robert, he is helping the team to close the gap between where we are now and the front runners.

"He was World Champion and that is his asset.

So, too, is his experience, and there is no danger of the team resting on its laurels. As Theissen is quick to remind, "We are still in the early phase of the season, having completed five out of 18 races."

source:http://www.f1technical.net/news/2863

Nice article, Sidepod. :D It's my opinion that, concerning value for money, a race-winner trumps a fast driver and a champion trumps them all. Super Mario seems to agree! I still think Mario will boot my boy Jacques come November, but at least JV's 'stock' will have improved.

I think MT holds his cards close to his chest. Totally the opposite of a guy like Nick Frye. I firmly believe MT will offer JV a contract for next year, but just isn't the kind of guy to go gushing about a driver. BMW have absolutely no reason to get rid of him, and MT knows that. Plain and simple if JV continues to drive at this level,( there is no reason why he won't) he will have proved himself to still be a top 10 driver. There is no one better out there to help BMW build a top car, and once MT is convinced that JV is now the real deal, he will be signed. I stuck my neck out long ago saying JV would be driving for BMW in 2007. The reason is in 2007 they still need his feedback on the design changes to move them to the top quarter of the grid. To lose that team work in the second year would be a step backward, and MT knows that. If the chemistry is right between NH and JV and it is all for one, and one for all, then everything will be the same in 2007. The last thing BMW need is some hotshot with an attitude to upset the applecart. I believe they will move the young pole into a race seat for a smooth transition in 2008. JV will be retained by the team in a driver coach role as well as a chassis development role. As a new husband and father this will appeal to JV very much, and he won't have a problem with it. He lives close to Hinwell and the job will be very appealing to him. BMW keeps the chemistry together and then team builds on its success, with a very capable NH, a young BMW groomed driver RK, and the old WDC as coach and mentor. BMW are setting themselves up for success.

In addition MT comments about RK getting to drive in a race in 2006 is quite possible, It won't be JVs seat though. NH has back problems and may need to be rested. He has a history of ailments, and I believe that is how RK is going to get his exposure to his first GP.

Interesting post YHR, you have given it alot of thought, I can see what you have predicted being a very plausable scenerio for BMW over the next couple of years.

All we seem to be talking about lately is JV :lol:

Interesting post YHR, you have given it alot of thought, I can see what you have predicted being a very plausable scenerio for BMW over the next couple of years.

All we seem to be talking about lately is JV :lol:

Jacques' saga is an interesting one. I once read an opinion that he did F1 in reverse (and I agree with that); he hit F1 with a bang, almost secured the WDC in his rookie year, secured it on the second try, then dwindled off into the midfield pack to lastly end up fighting each race for his seat. No doubt had Damon continued on, his path in F1 would have mirrored Jacques' with all but the English fans calling for him to quit!

We fans of JV are a loyal breed who know the worth of the man and who strive to remind the rest of you that Jacques has lost none of his skill, knowledge or courage. It's easy to go off impulse and follow Kimi or Alonso because they are fast and at the top of the F1 game. It's harder to look a bit deeper and see that Kimi was shaded by Heidfeld or that Alonso was twice beaten roundly by MS. It's a bit harder to see the steely grit of Jacques; constantly thrown bad luck and, unlike Fisichella, dealing with that bad luck by scraping together good results from horrid situations.

Jacques is the classic underdog, but an underdog that knows how to win races and championships. He's a 'hot topic' because everybody, deep down, respects Jacques. Some may argue he'll never get a top, race-winning drive again, and so will never win again, but few sensible people believe that once given that car he wouldn't then be a force to be feared.

I think MT holds his cards close to his chest. Totally the opposite of a guy like Nick Frye. I firmly believe MT will offer JV a contract for next year, but just isn't the kind of guy to go gushing about a driver. BMW have absolutely no reason to get rid of him, and MT knows that. Plain and simple if JV continues to drive at this level,( there is no reason why he won't) he will have proved himself to still be a top 10 driver. There is no one better out there to help BMW build a top car, and once MT is convinced that JV is now the real deal, he will be signed. I stuck my neck out long ago saying JV would be driving for BMW in 2007. The reason is in 2007 they still need his feedback on the design changes to move them to the top quarter of the grid. To lose that team work in the second year would be a step backward, and MT knows that. If the chemistry is right between NH and JV and it is all for one, and one for all, then everything will be the same in 2007. The last thing BMW need is some hotshot with an attitude to upset the applecart. I believe they will move the young pole into a race seat for a smooth transition in 2008. JV will be retained by the team in a driver coach role as well as a chassis development role. As a new husband and father this will appeal to JV very much, and he won't have a problem with it. He lives close to Hinwell and the job will be very appealing to him. BMW keeps the chemistry together and then team builds on its success, with a very capable NH, a young BMW groomed driver RK, and the old WDC as coach and mentor. BMW are setting themselves up for success.

In addition MT comments about RK getting to drive in a race in 2006 is quite possible, It won't be JVs seat though. NH has back problems and may need to be rested. He has a history of ailments, and I believe that is how RK is going to get his exposure to his first GP.

Now there you go YHR, making an argument that is hard to disagree with. Can't you see that some of us JV fans don't want to get our hopes up for 2007? You're making that harder with each post, you know!!!!! :D:D:D

Seriously though, very good post. You make a strong argument. You hear that Mario??????

Jacques' saga is an interesting one. I once read an opinion that he did F1 in reverse (and I agree with that); he hit F1 with a bang, almost secured the WDC in his rookie year, secured it on the second try, then dwindled off into the midfield pack to lastly end up fighting each race for his seat. No doubt had Damon continued on, his path in F1 would have mirrored Jacques' with all but the English fans calling for him to quit!

We fans of JV are a loyal breed who know the worth of the man and who strive to remind the rest of you that Jacques has lost none of his skill, knowledge or courage. It's easy to go off impulse and follow Kimi or Alonso because they are fast and at the top of the F1 game. It's harder to look a bit deeper and see that Kimi was shaded by Heidfeld or that Alonso was twice beaten roundly by MS. It's a bit harder to see the steely grit of Jacques; constantly thrown bad luck and, unlike Fisichella, dealing with that bad luck by scraping together good results from horrid situations.

Jacques is the classic underdog, but an underdog that knows how to win races and championships. He's a 'hot topic' because everybody, deep down, respects Jacques. Some may argue he'll never get a top, race-winning drive again, and so will never win again, but few sensible people believe that once given that car he wouldn't then be a force to be feared.

Couldn't have said it better myself Mike!!!

I was like o.O when I saw MT praising JV. He must have been misquoted surely. Mario has never said anything positive about JV ever from memory. It's always been politico talk and not true praise for someone who is doing exceptionally well at the moment.

If JV can get a ride at Toyota, Renault or even Honda, he should take it. I simply don't trust Mario at all even is his praising JV at the moment.

And the hoola about Kimi talking to Renault recently, well, just imagine Kimi and JV at Renault. Wow that would be something.

All I would like to say in this debate is that it is still ealry days and either driver may thrash the other during the season. Hopefully NH spanks JV so that we will not have to see 16 treads posted by JV-hooligans everytime he does something ordinary on track.

:lol: I know what you mean...

Actually, this race marks the 1/3 point of the season, so we're further into the 2006 F1 campaign than you may think.

And anyway, we JV fans have had little to celebrate over the past 4 or 5 years, with all the bad press, poor luck and dificult seasons that JV has had to suffer through, so we'll apologize to no one for enjoying this recent change of fortunes, thank you very much!!!!!

And the hoola about Kimi talking to Renault recently, well, just imagine Kimi and JV at Renault. Wow that would be something.

No offence to JV but it would be more of a thrashing than fisichella has been getting from alonso

And anyway, we JV fans have had little to celebrate over the past 4 or 5 years, with all the bad press, poor luck and dificult seasons that JV has had to suffer through, so we'll apologize to no one for enjoying this recent change of fortunes, thank you very much!!!!!

You should have celebrated the fact that he even has been in F1 for all those years :mf_tongue:

How does that saying go? You reap as you sow. Well that's right, after 97 JV threw all his grains in the sea, and this is what he gets in return, no pity what so ever. He and his fans acts like he is the bomb, well here is a newsflash, he was that once, now he is nothing but pathetic. What does he expect to get out of F1 in let say 07 or 08? He is only holding up the seat from someone whom might be the next big thing, the next 96 and 97 class JV.

You should have celebrated the fact that he even has been in F1 for all those years :mf_tongue:

How does that saying go? You reap as you sow. Well that's right, after 97 JV threw all his grains in the sea, and this is what he gets in return, no pity what so ever. He and his fans acts like he is the bomb, well here is a newsflash, he was that once, now he is nothing but pathetic. What does he expect to get out of F1 in let say 07 or 08? He is only holding up the seat from someone whom might be the next big thing, the next 96 and 97 class JV.

a fair view but then u could say the same about half the current F1 drivers, I think JV just wants to race and be in F1, he doesnt expect to actually win titles again

a fair view but then u could say the same about half the current F1 drivers, I think JV just wants to race and be in F1, he doesnt expect to actually win titles again

Quite right Jem, and it's not like JV won his seat on sympathy - he earned it like every other paid driver, despite the bad press and doubts generated by the ill tidings emanting from DR and his fellow Honda ilk.

And I was not suggesting that JV deserves (or needs) anyone's sympathies, only that with a number of difficult seasons behind him, JV is having an excellent year (by ALL accounts) and his fans will understandably enjoy seeing their loyalty and support rewarded by some great performances in what may be JV's final year in the sport.

So, no, we will not apologize for our exuberance, nor will we temper it in anyway.

What a mean spirited thing to say. Hmmmm very strange.

quite - considering the car he has under him i think hes doing a better job than some of those who should be ahead of him with a better car - would most definitely not have called him pathetic - i think hes proven that he is still there to race & i hope hes around next year too

It is not about being mean, rather his fans realising that he was a great talent, he had his chance, he was WDC, and he has to move on. Someone mentioned him taking on a development/coaching/testing role at BMW, I think this is a great idea and that with his experience he would probably thrive at this.

I think has been's holding on to a seat like their life was dependant on it are pathetic. Its time for them to move on like any other sportsmen. New talent in old farts out. Simple.

It is not about being mean, rather his fans realising that he was a great talent, he had his chance, he was WDC, and he has to move on. Someone mentioned him taking on a development/coaching/testing role at BMW, I think this is a great idea and that with his experience he would probably thrive at this.

I think has been's holding on to a seat like their life was dependant on it are pathetic. Its time for them to move on like any other sportsmen. New talent in old farts out. Simple.

I disagree, I get saddened when long-serving drivers like Olivier Panis (or JV) leave f1, they're drivers who I know and in a way remind me of older days. Theres no reason for JV to be a BMW advisor when he's doing a perfectly good job as a driver. Why should BMW take a gamble on a rookie, when JV is a consistent racer who brings in points? A rookie would be slow at first and would make mistakes and crash/spin.

I'm completely neutral on JV and my view is that whilst he doesnt appear to be the megastar that he was in his williams days, he still is worthy of a F1 drive!

I disagree, I get saddened when long-serving drivers like Olivier Panis (or JV) leave f1, they're drivers who I know and in a way remind me of older days. Theres no reason for JV to be a BMW advisor when he's doing a perfectly good job as a driver. Why should BMW take a gamble on a rookie, when JV is a consistent racer who brings in points? A rookie would be slow at first and would make mistakes and crash/spin.

I'm completely neutral on JV and my view is that whilst he doesnt appear to be the megastar that he was in his williams days, he still is worthy of a F1 drive!

I think that is an eminently objective and rational view, Jem.

However, I don't think that JV deserves his ride because of past glories, whether he was once WDC or not - instead I agree with you that he deserves his ride because he is still possessed of sufficient talent that he remains entirely competitive, and can help develop BMW into a top-tier team. Obviously Sauber (and now BMW) agreed with that assessment, and (I think it's fair to say) they are now being rewarded for that foresight.

I think that is an eminently objective and rational view, Jem.

However, I don't think that JV deserves his ride because of past glories, whether he was once WDC or not - instead I agree with you that he deserves his ride because he is still possessed of sufficient talent that he remains entirely competitive, and can help develop BMW into a top-tier team. Obviously Sauber (and now BMW) agreed with that assessment, and (I think it's fair to say) they are now being rewarded for that foresight.

The fact that he managed to make the transition from Sauber to BMW-Sauber and stay competitive with NH does not mean he is on the ball. It is NH's first season with the team, JV's second. This means that JV was comfortable with car and that NH still, to a certain extent, is getting used to it. No one knows if JV has playd a big part in the BMW's performance, but currently they are not looking much up with regards to what they had last year at Sauber. Could they have done better teaming NH (almost a veteran) up with RK and having JV as test driver? Who knows, I think so. More teams should let young ones have a go, thats all.