Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Button Rules Out Spanish Gp Win

BUTTON RULES OUT SPANISH GP WIN

Briton Jenson Button effectively wrote off his Spanish Grand Prix chances on Thursday, saying that his Honda RA106 was unlikely to challenge Renault or McLaren on the aerodynamically demanding Montmelo circuit this weekend but was hopeful that Michelin would allow them to challenge Ferrari.

"It seems that other people have made bigger steps forward than we have and we've been left behind a little bit by Renault and Ferrari I would say at the moment," the Honda driver told reporters at the Circuit de Catalunya.

"I think on a good weekend we'll be close to the McLaren and might even, if the Michelin tyres are working well on the car, get close to Ferrari.

"But I don't think we will get close to the Renaults on a circuit like this."

Champions Renault have won the first three races of the season with Ferrari's Michael Schumacher taking the last two at Imola and the Nuerburgring.

Spain is world champion Fernando Alonso's home race and his Renault team are confident he can win to increase his lead over Schumacher from 13 points.

"This is a circuit where you need very good aerodynamics and the Renault has that, the McLaren has that and the Ferrari has that," said Button, who has only scored one point in Barcelona in five attempts.

He did not race at the circuit last year after BAR, Honda's predecessors, were suspended for two grands prix for weight and fuel infringements.

"I don't think we are going to be any more competitive than we have been in the past few races," added Button. "Just hopefully we will be reliable."

Honda started the season full of confidence after strong testing over the European winter but that optimism swiftly faded with Button making just one appearance on the podium so far - a third place in Malaysia.

Button's engine blew within sight of the finish in Australia and he retired at the Nuerburgring last weekend with another engine failure.

"It was a tough weekend because I really didn't have a setup that I was happy with," he said. "But even so, running in fifth with a car that I wasn't happy with was not so bad really. So to have the issue of the engine was very disappointing.

"We know what the reason is and we've changed that for this race," added the Briton. "So we won't have a problem in this race and we're sure the reliability is going to be good".

www.eurosport.com

Ok, here is my prediction, Honda will get beaten by at least one Renault, one Ferrari, two cLarens (ofcourse), and one Williams. I am starting to feel a bit sorry for Jenson, he really deserves a comp[etitive car to show his critics (me included) that he is more than a hype.

The hype around Button stopped back in 2002/03. Theres no point going into yet another discussion about him or winning etc cos its been discussed to death a million times. I agree that he has no chance of a win in spain and I think we should see another alonso-schumacher fight

The team should just try to get through the next few races and try to really ramp up development so as to try and give Jenson and Rubens a shot at a victory towards the end of the season.

A very sensible idea. I don't think they'll manage it though.

Indeed. I doubt it has entered into their equation. Which is a pity for the team, its drivers and their fans as any hope they had of fighting for any championship has long gone.

Indeed, but they have major upgrades planned for the next few races, an engine upgrade here and major aero updates apparently being introduced over the next month. Or so I heard! their full size wind tunnel is also almost completed which is good news.

I think considering Jenson hates nurburgring but wasn't doing THAT awfully he should be better here and even better again in Monaco. I think there are about 3 races, maybe four where they could possibly win, Canada, Hockenheim, Turkey and Suzuka. Monaco would be nice but they still have some ground to make up!

"BUTTON RULES OUT SPANISH GP WIN"

Finally he's getting used to reality!

Indeed, now we just need his fans to do the same...........

Indeed, now we just need his fans to do the same...........

Hey!!! I accepted it after imola - jenson has no chance of winning this year. In the first couple of races it looked like jenson may be the only man who can challenge renault, but now ferrari has shown its strength, and mclaren are improving, jenson has to have a good race just to manage 4th or 5th. Oh well maybe next year

Perhaps Jenson needs to not be so informative to the media. He would have been far better off to say 'We'll see. I will always push and fight for the win." This statement is still true and makes him look like a fighter, not a loser.