Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumpdoc

The gIRL Indy 500

Bump day, well wasn't that exciting??Good lord this race is in trouble, a bunch of drivers and cars no one has heard of, bringing back the old(Cheever), the washed up(Little AL) and the desperite(Micheal) this race has me on the edge of my seat, ready to run to the nearest lawn bowling match.....................

King Tony, I hope you are proud :mf_tongue:

Bump day, well wasn't that exciting??Good lord this race is in trouble, a bunch of drivers and cars no one has heard of, bringing back the old(Cheever), the washed up(Little AL) and the desperite(Micheal) this race has me on the edge of my seat, ready to run to the nearest lawn bowling match.....................

King Tony, I hope you are proud :mf_tongue:

:lol: Indeed.

It still doesnt matter, the Indianapolis will remain in my eyes as the greatest racing event in the world. I mean, what other auto races can get over 375-400,000 people in there?

Quantity and quality are rarely the same thing.

For what it's worth, I think Le Mans 24 hrs is the best.

Quantity and quality are rarely the same thing.

For what it's worth, I think Le Mans 24 hrs is the best.

I'm not sure what I'd choose as the best, but I'm one that will watch (almost) the full 24 hrs with bleary-eyed excitement! I would tentatively agree with you monza....

Isle of Man TT

Good God that race is dan-ger-ous! I've watched it and am constantly amazed at the sheer courage and skill of the riders!

Hat's off to 'em all, they got my respect.

Good God that race is dan-ger-ous! I've watched it and am constantly amazed at the sheer courage and skill of the riders!

Hat's off to 'em all, they got my respect.

I agree with that entirely.

Well, tomorrow I'm leaving for the greatest single-day sporting event. Pictures I hope will be available.

Have fun ar5, i'll be watching while I mow the lawn, clean the windows and wax my car then I'll sit down to watch the 600 ;)

Have fun ar5, i'll be watching while I mow the lawn, clean the windows and wax my car then I'll sit down to watch the 600 ;)

But you may miss the great Danica Patrick pull off a pass for 12th place...

But you may miss the great Danica Patrick pull off a pass for 12th place...

the only pass I want to see Danica make is the one where she gets passed around in a gang bang!!

Is this 'race' (I use the term rather loosely here) this weekend too?

Yes Sunday.........

I'm in Southaven, Mississippi and I'm about 300 miles from my hotel that I'm staying at tomorrow.

I hate what has happened to the 500, but I will watch tomorrow------'like the moth drawn to the flame'

The TV equivalent of driving past a car crash, you're horrified but you HAVE to look...

Literally car-crashTV in this case.

I'm now in Louisville Kentucky, about 2 hours from the track. I'll give an update after the race.

I'm now in Louisville Kentucky, about 2 hours from the track. I'll give an update after the race.

What are you doing, hitchhiking?? ;)

AR5, you seem to be the Indy 500 buff on here, I need you to explain a couple things to me about the race.

First, how does quali work and second, what do all those name days mean like Carb Day, Bump Day, Fast Friday etc?? Cheers

AR5, you seem to be the Indy 500 buff on here, I need you to explain a couple things to me about the race.

First, how does quali work and second, what do all those name days mean like Carb Day, Bump Day, Fast Friday etc?? Cheers

Pump, we're driving. My mom, dad, cousin, and myself.

Ok.

Qualifying is 2 or 3 warmup laps based on the weather, and the average of the four laps you run. Consistency is important.

Fast Friday is the day before Pole Day. Drivers try to set very fast times on this day.

Carb Day was traditionally on the Thursday before the race, now its on the Friday. It is the final day of practice before the race, and the Pit-Stop Competition is that day.

Bump Day is the final day of qualifying. If the field is full, an outsider needs to go really fast to "bump" somebody out of the field.

We're leaving for the race in about 30-35 minutes. Cheers to all.

My 12th, my dad's 43rd race. My dad hasn't missed one since 1978.

Shaun, now for the real explanations, sorry ar5 ;)

When Indy was king and not the farce it is now the whole month of May was high drama first you had Rookie oriantation where the rookie hopefuls had to go out on track and prove infront of the senior drivers that they could handle driving at speed around this 2.5 mile flat banked monster, not all rookies made it past this point, now sadly this is a farce as Tony George (hereafter just refered to as King tony or KG for short) can't let any driver not pass as he needs all the drivers he can muster, more on this later.

Qualifying used to be dramatic, on the first day you only set the front row(3 cars), there used to be 100k plus in the stands for this day, now they are lucky to get a few thousand.

They use a method now that goes like this(when it doesn't rain like this year)11 cars the 1st day,11 cars the next and then the following sat. 11 more to fill the field, hence the last day or 'bump day'.

But since KG has ruined this once fine race bump day which used to hold so much drama is now just a poorly attended day to see who will fill the last spot or two, as there are never enough cars to get bumped.

Carb day is the friday befor the race and harkens back to an era of carburators, it gave the teams one last chance to adjust the motors for the race, again befor KG this was a big crowd day, now just a few attend, they even hold a race (Indy lights) to try to get a crowd going. The people are not fooled....

Well the 'other' farce..er I mean race is about to start, i'll make this prediction now, the race will have one of the most raggid starts ever.

For you Indy neophites, back in the day pre-King George and the gIRL the field would come down to the start with all 33 cars(11 rows of 3) in a tight bunch, with this group we'll be lucky if the whole field is on the main straight, sad, so sad :mf_tongue: