Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schumacher No.1 Fan

Aerodynamics

hi,

As you all know, probably, aerodynamics have and will play a huge part in this 2006 season of F1.

But what I want to know is, can Aerodynamisists actually do much more to the car to make it go any faster?

What are your thoughts?

The truth is they probably can, only for any innovation to be sanctioned briefly, then promptly banned by the FIA because 1 team had a head-start by thinking of it first.

They certainly can!In fact them and the tyre companies are the key players these days!Through aerodynamics a car can turn better or accelerate faster and reach higher speeds etc.The combination of the 2 is the most challenging part which is achieved through the correct setup.But to fully understand it you need to read some articles about the effects aerodynamics have on the car.By the way great nickname you have there... :D:clap3:

can someine tell me why aero is even more improtant this year then say last year?

can someine tell me why aero is even more improtant this year then say last year?

Its because of the introduction of the V8 engines.

Now that the engines have a 20% less power, aero efficiency is more important for making the car faster.

Also, as the V8s are shorter, the engine cover can be smaller, hence allowing more freedom in the design of the rear section, and cutting drag

i see your point, but wouldnt the engine be kinda more important because its new and has less power, and wouldnt having less power mean the areo is less important?

i see your point, but wouldnt the engine be kinda more important because its new and has less power, and wouldnt having less power mean the areo is less important?

Drag increases as the square of the velocity ... In other words, if you go twice as fast, drag increases fourfold. To go four times as fast, drag will increase 16 times. With horsepower, you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Now, with horsepower down from last year, aero becomes even more important. And the only way you're going to get more horsepower out of that size of engine is to get it to wind even higher. (There's another thread in this section where I rant about horsepower v. torque v. revs...)

the real downside to such reliance on aero is very obvous this season, because the cars need air for the aero to work they can no longer run behind another car. and the higher the speed the higher the reliance on aero. the never ending cycle

Hi, i'd just like to thanks you all for replying to my post.

Does anyone else hink that renault have been caught in the dark with this mass damper thing in their front wing being banned? Because i do, and it's rather stupid of them to have solely relied on this piece of technology and haven't had the clever thought of using other methods, like say Ferrari.

Hi, i'd just like to thanks you all for replying to my post.

Does anyone else hink that renault have been caught in the dark with this mass damper thing in their front wing being banned? Because i do, and it's rather stupid of them to have solely relied on this piece of technology and haven't had the clever thought of using other methods, like say Ferrari.

If it was perfectly legal and worked, why look for an alternative?

The problem is that the FIA cant make their minds up. And when they do, they quickly change it again!