Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nojvnof1

A Stroll In Barcelona

Is there a better way to spend a bright, sunny late Spring Sunday afternoon than by racing 66 laps around Barcelona's F1 track? To most people, yes, but to Fernando Alonso, most definitely not.

In a superb display of domination, the reigning World Champion blitzed the entire field, including 7 time World Champion Michael Schumacher. He cruised away from a well won Pole Position and never looked back. It was a vital win for both Alonso and the Renault team in an otherwise dull race, as they had come under severe pressure from Schumacher and Ferrari. At Imola, they were outfoxed and outstrategised by the old master Schumacher and his crew, whilst only a week prior, at the Nurburgring, Alonso was beaten by Schumacher, who was the better driver in a better car. Roles were reversed at Barcelona and Fernando took out an emotional and important win, another step towards a second World title before he packs his bags, and takes residence at McLaren.

Of the rest of the top 8, Schumacher had nothing in response to Alonso but did a sterling job to finish ahead of the other Renault of Fisichella. Michael is proving he and the Ferrari team for that matter, have still got what it takes to fight for wins and challenge for the title. If he can continue this form, then Alonso will be in for a long and hard fight. In 3rd was Fisichella. He had an uneventful race apart from his little off into the gravel in the run up to Turn 4. He was solid, if unspectacular all weekend, but is it enough to save his spot at Renault next year from a Montoya, a Raikkonen, or perhaps, a Villeneuve? ;)

In fourth was Massa in the second Ferrari. This is the third race in a row was Massa had driven very well. Fast, in that he set fastest lap of the race, and mistake free. He's recovering well from his disastrous race in Bahrain. Coming home next was Raikkonen who again was left behind by the Renault and Ferrari's, on a weekend where rumours of his move to Maranello reached their peak. As for his teammate, well he had a similar race to his teammate until his spin at Turn 2. If the TC did in fact switch itself off, then you can't fault JPM, if it was a mistake, then one must wonder how many more he will make. McLaren have alot of work to do to catch the leaders. Same goes for Honda who had Jenson and Rubens finish 6th and 7th. Jenson was again outqualified by Barrichello, but the race saw them reverse roles and it was Button who came out ahead. That first win for Honda and Jenson looks further away with every race, but Button can't be faulted. He's raced his hardest all year and in my opinion is having a solid year, which with a better car, could be even better.

Taking the final points scoring position was Heidfeld. He had a clean and uneventful race and held a good pace. It was a well deserved point for him after 2 disastrous races. His teammate Villeneuve could have challenged Nick for the final point if not for an engine change. He needed a spectacular start in order to chellenge for a point but, apart from a strong getaway, was left behind the Midlands and Super Aguri's. You could see him swerving from right to left looking for a gap to slot through but just couldn't do so. His race pace was decent and he did a good job of moving up to P12 with a massive fuel load.

As for the rest, Toyota and Williams struggled. Both Toyotas went backwards after the first stops whilst Ralf paid the price for a very adventurous move on his teammate at Turn 1. Webber drove a solid race for P9 whilst Rosberg had a good battle with Trulli at the end. Red Bull Racing had another scrappy race. Klein looked to have the pace all weekend but it disappeared in the race whilst, in his 200th GP, Coulthard, on the same 1 stop strategy as his good mate Villeneuve also looked to have no pace, although his start was brilliant.

Toro Rosso had another race to forget with Speed retiring with engine dramas and Liuzzi nowhere. Speed was running ahead of his teammate and both RBR cars and had a strong race. Midland and Super Aguri had a race up the back between themselves although Monteiro had an off early on whilst Montagny retired with technical dramas.

All in all, not a classic GP, unless that is, you're name is Fernando Alonso!

He was solid, if unspectacular all weekend, but is it enough to save his spot at Renault next year from a Montoya, a Raikkonen, or perhaps, a Villeneuve? ;)

His teammate Villeneuve could have challenged Nick for the final point if not for an engine change. He needed a spectacular start in order to chellenge for a point but, apart from a strong getaway, was left behind the Midlands and Super Aguri's. You could see him swerving from right to left looking for a gap to slot through but just couldn't do so. His race pace was decent and he did a good job of moving up to P12 with a massive fuel load.

A very good report nojvnof1 :thbup:

My only complaint is your bias towards JV. First of all he did not have a good race at all. Ending up 12th with the amount of retirements there was is almost pathetic. No one yells hurray when all he did was manage to end in front of Sato, the two RBR's, a Midland and a STR. He needs to up his game is he is to retain his seat, that much is certain at this stage of the season.

And BTW, no, there is absolutely no way he will get a seat at Renault :mf_tongue:

Nice job Shuan, Ctrl are you always a wet blanket??? were you deprived as a child :lol:

Nice job Shuan, Ctrl are you always a wet blanket??? were you deprived as a child :lol:

:lol: Funny.

I'm in a feud with the holligans, thats all :D

:lol: Funny.

I'm in a feud with the holligans, thats all :D

You are a holligan!! :lol:

My only complaint is your bias towards JV. First of all he did not have a good race at all. Ending up 12th with the amount of retirements there was is almost pathetic.
I thought it was a very strong race from Jacques. He lost alot of time stuck behind the Midlands and Super Aguri's and didn't really benefit from retirements. Most of them retired when behind Jacques. The only two that retired in front of him were JPM and Ralf. You would have had to be concentrating on Jacques to notice, and being a McLaren fan I doubt you were.

JV has upped his game, and would have done well if not for the engine penalty. Again, considering JV started from last, had about 40 laps of fuel on board, he did a good job just to end up where he did and was closing in on Jarno and Rosberg at the end. You need to stop looking at the numbers and look between the lines.

As for the bias towards Jacques, the bit linking him to Renault was just a playful jibe and I was actually very very neutral in my assessment of JV's drive. I could have heaped more praise as I thought it was a good drive, but each to their own I suppose.

And BTW, no, there is absolutely no way he will get a seat at Renault

Apparently not. BMW Sauber are going to offer him a new deal :)

I thought it was a very strong race from Jacques. He lost alot of time stuck behind the Midlands and Super Aguri's and didn't really benefit from retirements. Most of them retired when behind Jacques. The only two that retired in front of him were JPM and Ralf. You would have had to be concentrating on Jacques to notice, and being a McLaren fan I doubt you were.

JV has upped his game, and would have done well if not for the engine penalty. Again, considering JV started from last, had about 40 laps of fuel on board, he did a good job just to end up where he did and was closing in on Jarno and Rosberg at the end. You need to stop looking at the numbers and look between the lines.

As for the bias towards Jacques, the bit linking him to Renault was just a playful jibe and I was actually very very neutral in my assessment of JV's drive. I could have heaped more praise as I thought it was a good drive, but each to their own I suppose.

Apparently not. BMW Sauber are going to offer him a new deal :)

No more JV praise please :lol:

Where did you get that piece of information that BMW is willing to offer him a new contract? Just off the top off your head or..?

Excellent race report shaun. Its a shame you got chosen to do the worst rac so far but nonetheless your report was excellent and thank you for not being biased and admitting it is not JB's driving but the Honda's lack of speed that is the problem. Thank you mate,

:lol: The thought did cross my mind, but there are enough threads for me to spread the JV word, so I thought I'd back off in this one.

Where did you get that piece of information that BMW is willing to offer him a new contract? Just off the top off your head or..?

Off the top of my head?? Anyone who knows me on here will tell you I don't post such things for the sake of it.

Cheers to everyone for the compliments. In all honesty, I didn't mind that it was a boring race as I've got piles of work for uni and having a crazy race to write a report about would have been abit too much.