Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Australia In The World Cup

Im not an expert at football but i do know that anything can happen in sport and Australia could beat Brazil. We probely only have a 10 to 20% chance of doing it but i believe we can
Make that between 5-10%. As for the Aussies, we'll see how good we really are tonight when we play the Dutch. A result against this team would be a great sign for our team.
It shouldnt be that hard to qualify for you guys anyway, cos of the lack of half-decent opposition that you need to beat to get into the tournament (except uruguay).

It's not as easy as you'd imagine. Sure we were pretty much guaranteed a spot against the 5th placed team from South America, but the whole qualification came down to 2 games (home and away). One bad game would mean non qualification. At least in the European qualifying process, you can have a couple of bad games but still qualify. Thankfully we'll be qualifying like that as we have moved into the Asian Confederation, where the games will be much tougher, but there will be more of them.

As for England v Australia, I think if we were to meet sometime in the near future, it would be a great game. England have a really strong team whilst we're on the up.

1 - 1 draw with the Dutch side was a great effort from the Australians. The dutch where all over us in the first half with our defence being tested on many occasions. Schwarzer did a good job against class strikers in van Nistelrooy. The way that we held the Dutch out with a man down was very pleasing to see. :D

I hope Viduka sorts out his directs.

Come on AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!

1 - 1 draw with the Dutch side was a great effort from the Australians. The dutch where all over us in the first half with our defence being tested on many occasions. Schwarzer did a good job against class strikers in van Nistelrooy. The way that we held the Dutch out with a man down was very pleasing to see. :D

I hope Viduka sorts out his directs.

Come on AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!

Yeah was a good game. watched it on my new 42" Plasma! :D

Schwarzer is a god! How good was he! But the dutch keeper did very well to keep out that Header from Viduka.

I think if Harry and Aloisi are back that will add some much needed speed to our attack, which wil create more chances.

It was a close game, could have gone either way and shows that Australia can now tangle with the best of them.

GO AUSTRALIA!

Yeah was a good game. watched it on my new 42" Plasma! :D

Schwarzer is a god! How good was he! But the dutch keeper did very well to keep out that Header from Viduka.

I think if Harry and Aloisi are back that will add some much needed speed to our attack, which wil create more chances.

It was a close game, could have gone either way and shows that Australia can now tangle with the best of them.

GO AUSTRALIA!

Good timing with the Plasma :D

Schwarzer was on fire!!! The Dutch had something like 11 shots on goal!!!

For sure we can match any team at the moment. Brazil only beat the Kiwi's 4 - nil, I thought that they would have beaten them by more than that. :eusa_think:

GO THE SCOCCEROOS!!!!!!!!!!

For sure we can match any team at the moment. Brazil only beat the Kiwi's 4 - nil, I thought that they would have beaten them by more than that. :eusa_think:

True, but we need Kewell and Aloisi do be our best. Our defence is solid I feel, and I midfield is pretty tough, only thing lacking in that Netherlands games was some fast wingers. Chippers is ok, but he's more of a DMF.

Schwarzer is reminding me of the form Oliver Kahn was in last world cup. He only let in 2 goals for the entire tournament prior to the final!

I was very happy with the draw but im abit dissapointed with our defence. Schwarzer had to save something like 13 shots and it is only through Schwarzer's brilliance that we didnt loose that match by a large margin. 13 shots on goal is too much and i think our players in defence will have to step up their game when we play against Japan.

I was very happy with the draw but im abit dissapointed with our defence. Schwarzer had to save something like 13 shots and it is only through Schwarzer's brilliance that we didnt loose that match by a large margin. 13 shots on goal is too much and i think our players in defence will have to step up their game when we play against Japan.

But seriouly, Netherlands are the number 3 team in the World. You got players like Robben, Van Nistelrooy, van Persie. Man they are all awesome! I agree our defence needs to step up but any team is going to have trouble with those three.

But seriouly, Netherlands are the number 3 team in the World. You got players like Robben, Van Nistelrooy, van Persie. Man they are all awesome! I agree our defence needs to step up but any team is going to have trouble with those three.

The FIFA world rankings are a total joke so I wouldnt judge any team by that at all - for example, USA are number 4, and Spain are something like 2 or 3 and they havent come close to winning a tournament for god knows how long. England are down at no.9, and Holland werent even in the last world cup.

By the way I heard that one of your aussie players has injured Van Bronckhorst - good going!!! And my gran could score more goals than Arjen Robben

By the way I heard that one of your aussie players has injured Van Bronckhorst - good going!!! And my gran could score more goals than Arjen Robben

We managed to injure 3 players from Holland and 1 of them is in doubt for the world cup now with a ankle injury. We certainly bruised the neatherlands side.

We managed to injure 3 players from Holland and 1 of them is in doubt for the world cup now with a ankle injury. We certainly bruised the neatherlands side.

Well you could do us a favour and bash up all the brazil players, do it for mother england

Well you could do us a favour and bash up all the brazil players, do it for mother england

Yeah, sounds good. If the only thing Australia accomplishes is to injure Ronaldo and Ronaldinho then i would be happy. We could be known as the side which stuffed Brazils hopes for a World Cup victory. Australia is a physical side and there are nearly always injuies for the opposition when we are playing.

Yeah, sounds good. If theonly thing Australia accomplishes is to injure Ronaldo and Ronaldinho then i would be happy. We could be known as the side which stuffed Brazils hopes for a World Cup victory. Australia is a physical side and thereare nearly always injuies for the opposition when we are playing.

Good, well i'll be watching the brazil v aus game then, hoping for some lovely injuries!!!

1-1 was the result I wanted as I'm a big fan of the Dutch team (since France '98) and didn't want one team beating the other, a case of divided loyalties.

As for the game, the Dutch really took our boys to school in the first half. Naturally, Hiddink is implementing a system commonly used by the Dutch and the Dutch team really gave us 3 lectures and 2 tutorials on how to play their style of game. They destroyed us on the wings and could have been 3 or 4 up if not for Schwarzer. If they play like this against Brazil, it will be a case of damage limitation for the Aussies.

The second half was much much better. Our defence was more compact, tight and put more pressure on the Dutch. We even had a couple of strong chances and Van Der Sar made a top save to deny Viduka in the first half. To come away with a draw with 10 men was a fantastic result for the Aussies. Not to pleased that Sneijder, Cocu and van Bronckhorst were hurt for the reasons I stated at the beginning. I hope they recover for the World Cup.

Our group opponent Japan only beat Malta 1-0, a pretty poor result considering Sweden put 13 goals past Malta in two games in qualifying for the World Cup. I was pretty happy that it was only a 1-0 loss so Malta musn't have played too badly.

Yeah, sounds good. If the only thing Australia accomplishes is to injure Ronaldo and Ronaldinho then i would be happy.

You do know they have Adriano, Kaka and Robinho as well!

I have reasons to hope (desperately) that Brazil will be out in the first round (remember France? 2002)

The Australian team seems to be doing better than I had expected lately, and the Japanese team is a little inconsistent so anything can happen. A lot of Aussies seem to think Japan is an easy opponent, so the Aussies will lose the match :naughty::naughty:

The Australian team seems to be doing better than I had expected lately, and the Japanese team is a little inconsistent so anything can happen. A lot of Aussies seem to think Japan is an easy opponent, so the Aussies will lose the match :naughty::naughty:

Not at all. Australia's confidence when regarding sport is usually accurate and our sporting teams more often than not achieve what the Australian public expects of them.

I think our analysis of Japan is based on their poor form of late. For sure Japan won't be an easy opponent, however I believe we have the team and coach to beat Japan. I mean, we beat Greece and drew with the Dutch whilst Japan have had very patch form of late. Add to that there are numerous stories of rifts in the Japanese squad, Nakata has come out and had a go at the team.

well thats good. It shouldnt be that hard to qualify for you guys anyway, cos of the lack of half-decent opposition that you need to beat to get into the tournament (except uruguay).

For us europeans its a lot harder!

usually in qualifying australia does well to get to the playoff although the teams they play are probably as weak as malaysia.... and they always fail in the playoff which is usually against a south american or asian team... this time they got thru with the luck of a shoot out ... but for their next campaign it might not be so easy as they will be competing in the asian qualifying zone (i remember reading this sometime back) .... asian teams will not be so easy..... if they get thru the asian qualifyin zone ill be cursing ...damn another asian slot stolen (for u guys who dont know... asia fought very hard to get 4 slots including a walkout on fifa) :P but wht the heck only the best teams should take part in the world cup anyway...

usually in qualifying australia does well to get to the playoff although the teams they play are probably as weak as malaysia.... and they always fail in the playoff which is usually against a south american or asian team... this time they got thru with the luck of a shoot out ... but for their next campaign it might not be so easy as they will be competing in the asian qualifying zone (i remember reading this sometime back) .... asian teams will not be so easy..... if they get thru the asian qualifyin zone ill be cursing ...damn another asian slot stolen (for u guys who dont know... asia fought very hard to get 4 slots including a walkout on fifa) :P but wht the heck only the best teams should take part in the world cup anyway...

Australia really isnt part of Asia is it.

Australia really isnt part of Asia is it.

no its not.. it should be oceania..... but only for football it will be part of asia .... australia has severed all ties with the oceania football confederation and joined the asian football confederation as of 1 January 2006....so it can now take part in all AFC competitions including the world cup qualifiers and Asian Cup....

got this from the football federation of australia website....

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/defaul...ia_aust_and_afc

Not at all. Australia's confidence when regarding sport is usually accurate and our sporting teams more often than not achieve what the Australian public expects of them.

:lol: You aussies always think you're going to walk all over everyone, thats why we love beating u so much!!!!

What are the aussies expecting in this years world cup? I suppose u think in next years rugby world cup you're going to beat everyone?

:lol: You aussies always think you're going to walk all over everyone, thats why we love beating u so much!!!!

What are the aussies expecting in this years world cup? I suppose u think in next years rugby world cup you're going to beat everyone?

Well for the FIFA World Cup the public want Australia to get through to the second round and for the Rugby World Cup a victory is expected. We are in the top 3 in the world so it is a resonable expectation.

no its not.. it should be oceania..... but only for football it will be part of asia .... australia has severed all ties with the oceania football confederation and joined the asian football confederation as of 1 January 2006....so it can now take part in all AFC competitions including the world cup qualifiers and Asian Cup....

Australia should have its own draw. Every continent in the world (mius Antartica) should have at least 1 team in the WORLD Cup. :clap3: Australia is a continent and we should have our team in the world cup no matter how crap they get :D

Australia should have its own draw. Every continent in the world (mius Antartica) should have at least 1 team in the WORLD Cup. :clap3: Australia is a continent and we should have our team in the world cup no matter how crap they get :D

No, Australasia is a continent, with other countries such as new zealand. You gotta earn your qualification just like everyone else!