Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Australia In The World Cup

No, Australasia is a continent, with other countries such as new zealand. You gotta earn your qualification just like everyone else!

Bugger that. I just find it annoying that we arnt allowed to qualify against teams in our general area like New Zealand, Malaysia and Indonesia. Sure they may not be much competition but its fair. Why does Australia have to play against countries in the Asia region when we are nowhere near Asia.

Bugger that. I just find it annoying that we arnt allowed to qualify against teams in our general area like New Zealand, Malaysia and Indonesia. Sure they may not be much competition but its fair. Why does Australia have to play against countries in the Asia region when we are nowhere near Asia.

If Aus has to play against asian countries, then just out of interest who does new zealand and malaysia have to play?

If Aus has to play against asian countries, then just out of interest who does new zealand and malaysia have to play?

Are you sure Max Mosley isnt incharge of FIFA as well as the formula 1. THis qualification system does appear to be in his style of unnessecarily confusing and incomprehensable. Why cant they make it simple by teams competing against other teams in their region for a place in the world cup.

Are you sure Max Mosley isnt incharge of FIFA as well as the formula 1. THis qualification system does appear to be in his style of unnessecarily confusing and incomprehensable. Why cant they make it simple by teams competing against other teams in their region for a place in the world cup.

Because if u had a mini-league with Aus, NZ, malaysia, indonesia, and papua new guinea to qualify for the world cup, then Aus would qualify every single time, which is unfair on much better teams in europe or south america who dont always qualify but deserve to be in the tournament much more than Australia.

Because if u had a mini-league with Aus, NZ, malaysia, indonesia, and papua new guinea to qualify for the world cup, then Aus would qualify every single time, which is unfair on much better teams in europe or south america who dont always qualify but deserve to be in the tournament much more than Australia.

How is the qualifying rounds decided. How does FIFA decide who plays who in the qualifying rounds?

How is the qualifying rounds decided. How does FIFA decide who plays who in the qualifying rounds?

I dont know to be honest, but I guess nearly every country in the world must get to take part becausei n Europe we get countries I've never even heard of in qualifying, like Macedonia, Lichtenstein, Andorra, Azerbaijan. Even a tiny country like San Marino gets to take part

For those of you that are following the World Cup I got this from one of my staff over in the UK. Fairly large spreadsheet so I had to zip the file, but this guy did an incredible job with this. If you cannot open the EXCEL spreadsheet follow the instructions to set the security level for macros to medium and you will be able to view the sheets.

There are TV schedules where you can set your local time and you can highlight your favorite country on the main page and it will be carried over to all the other sheets. You can keep track of scores on another page and if you click on a flag, it plays the national anthem of that country.

our chances are zero for australia to qualify 2nd round

our chances are zero for australia to qualify 2nd round

Australia is being tipped as the dark horse of the World Cup by many experts.

Past records + Fifa rankings. It is a world cup for the best teams, it is somewhat about represenation which is why some deserving European teams don't make it. So South AMerica and Europe get the most spots.

Oh yes, a huge number of o****ries, almost every country in the world takes part in the qualifiers, and their are also qualifiers for the qualifiers when needed.

Why cant they make it simple by teams competing against other teams in their region for a place in the world cup.
Because it's about quality. Because Holland did not make the last world cup, it would be a travesty if (relatively) poor teams like Australia were to get a free pass. Beating the 5th place team from South America would not be so much trouble for a top team. Because this is the most popular sport in the world, not Hornsby Hornbills vs Botany Bumble Bees. It isn't a cakewalk for anyone. Noone is guaranteed a place, and upsets regularly happen. The sheer depth of quality in the sport is incredible.

PS: Based on a geographical system even India would make it, and they are just miserable in football, so don't turn this into a personal thing again, I know you want to. It is great to see enthusiasm for football here, though unfortunately it's more the me too factor, but even then it is quite amazing how Australia will go out and support their teams in any sport.

I think Australia are going to qualify from Asia from next time on instead of Oceania, I gues they don't want everything to depend on a single play off, and that too against a quality team, far better than any they will encounter in Asia. A bit like Israel playing from Europe, but for them it's more a case of not wanting to be stoned to death in their away matches. They want links with Europe and the U.S., but those places were not prepared to give a piece of land for a Jewish state, instead they gave them guns, and told them to grab some elsewhere, which they did. Anyway I digress. ykick I am pretty sure it's Australia's own decision to play in Asia.

it is quite amazing how Australia will go out and support their teams in any sport.

I think i can safely say that Australia is one of the most sporting countries in the world. We are able to compete successfully in alot of sports and against alot of countries with a much bigger population than Australia.

New Zealand remains in the Oceania Football Confederation. Malaysia is part of the Asian Football Confederation.

You have to be registered with FIFA. Groups are decided on history in the past 2 (I think) World Cups and rankings.

There are zones in Oceania (OFC), Asia (AFC), North and Central America and Caribbean (CONCACAF), Africa (CAF), Europe (UEFA) and South America (CONMEBOL).

The Oceania system saw the lower ranked teams play off in a tournament with the two strongest teams (then being Aust and NZ) given a bye to round 2.

The Asian system sees the lower ranked teams play off in a two legged play off to join the bigger teams in the next group stage. CONCACAF and CAF are the same.

The European system sees teams put into groups. The top team in each group qualifies for the World Cup, as did the two best second placed teams. The other second placed teams were drawn to play off. South America is a league system which saw the top 4 teams qualify automatically and the 5th placed team play the champion of Oceania (which we say in November last year with Australia v Uruguay.

Some say beating the 5th placed team from South America should be easy, but it's not when it all comes down to two games for the Oceania champion and that 5th placed team had come off 18 qualifiers against top quality opposition.

As for Australia moving into the Asian Confederation, I think it's a great move. We get to take part in more tournaments and have a more solid qualifying system where it doesn't all come down to 1 or 2 games.

no their chances are zero

results of the last friendlies.... Japan 2 Germany 2 ...... if their form was woeful i think they just found it !!!

i think australia should be very careful of japan if they are to get thru...

indeed they did, nakamura and nakata both played that game and they looked very composed and threatening in attack. it will be a very close game if japan can bring the form they had against germany to the world cup.

we will see australia on monday against japan, australia will be crashed as a dummy

we will see australia on monday against japan, australia will be crashed as a dummy

Dont be so c#cky. The Australian team has the ability to suprise alot of people. They may not beat Japan but i am certain it will be a close game.

aussie fans stop dreaming, you're still just a rookie team.

aussie fans stop dreaming, you're still just a rookie team.

Nearly all our players are based in Europe so they all have a decent amount of skill. The Socceroos could do well, we did draw with Holland recently and in the second half we were actually playing better than them. We also beat Greece in a friendly and they are a good team. We have some decent players as well including Mark Viduka, Harry Kewell and Mark Schwarzer. The Australia public dont expect much but we are hopeing that we can make it into the second round which i think is a obtainable goal.

indeed they did, nakamura and nakata both played that game and they looked very composed and threatening in attack. it will be a very close game if japan can bring the form they had against germany to the world cup.
As shown in their game v Costa Rica, the German defence is a shambles. Heck, even we put 3 (yes 3!) past them in last year's Confederations Cup before Hiddink arrived and we were nowhere near the side we are now. Therefore I don't see any big reason to cheer Japan putting 2 past Germany.

My other point is to highlight how Japan lost a 2-0 lead. They were poor defending long balls and balls in the air and that's where we could capitalise. We're also more physical in our attack of the ball, as shown by our game against Holland, which I think says more than the 2-2 draw between Germany and Japan.

Japan won't be an easy team to face and a draw or win is vital to whoever wins, but I think we could do it. I mean, we've already seen two big surprised this World Cup, and after only two days!

The Australia public dont expect much but we are hopeing that we can make it into the second round which i think is a obtainable goal.

It definitely is, as long as we don't lose to Japan. If we lose, then it'll be very very hard, close to impossible.

I think the wild card for this game could be Josh Kennedy. He's a tall striker (similar in height to Peter Crouch of England) and could provide big big worries for the Japanese defence.

your calling Greece a strong team, hahahahaha, they won the euro 2004 with cheating, and now you call that team a strong one

your calling Greece a strong team, hahahahaha, they won the euro 2004 with cheating, and now you call that team a strong one

WTF? How did they cheat? If you don't want to accept our result against Greece, you can't knock the draw against Holland.

For your infomation Malaysia and Indonesia is part of Asia, and Australia, technically speaking IS nearer to Asia than to Europe. (Darwin is only an hour's flight from Bali.)

And when we studied geography in school, New Zealand is the first country in the world to see sunrise, and we all know the sun rises from the East, so NZ and AUS would be an eastern country not western. :mf_tongue::mf_tongue:

For your infomation Malaysia and Indonesia is part of Asia, and Australia, technically speaking IS nearer to Asia than to Europe. (Darwin is only an hour's flight from Bali.)

And when we studied geography in school, New Zealand is the first country in the world to see sunrise, and we all know the sun rises from the East, so NZ and AUS would be an eastern country not western. :mf_tongue::mf_tongue:

That may be so but technqually we are classified as Asia-Pacific or Oceania.

hahahahahahaha you are funny.

If India was allowed to qualify against Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Nepal, Bhutan they would be in the world cup. theyare ranked 118th in the world. Is that fair?

edit: Damn I think I'd already answered that one

For those of you that are following the World Cup I got this from one of my staff over in the UK. Fairly large spreadsheet so I had to zip the file, but this guy did an incredible job with this. If you cannot open the EXCEL spreadsheet follow the instructions to set the security level for macros to medium and you will be able to view the sheets.

There are TV schedules where you can set your local time and you can highlight your favorite country on the main page and it will be carried over to all the other sheets. You can keep track of scores on another page and if you click on a flag, it plays the national anthem of that country.

this is cool - do u mind if i pass this on ?

please stop posting repetitive nonsense - you obviously have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. please enlighten us on why you think australia will be knocked out. try and come up with an intelligent response. if you can, you'll have some credibility around here. if you can't, then we'll just ignore you.

As shown in their game v Costa Rica, the German defence is a shambles. Heck, even we put 3 (yes 3!) past them in last year's Confederations Cup before Hiddink arrived and we were nowhere near the side we are now. Therefore I don't see any big reason to cheer Japan putting 2 past Germany.

My other point is to highlight how Japan lost a 2-0 lead. They were poor defending long balls and balls in the air and that's where we could capitalise. We're also more physical in our attack of the ball, as shown by our game against Holland, which I think says more than the 2-2 draw between Germany and Japan.

Japan won't be an easy team to face and a draw or win is vital to whoever wins, but I think we could do it. I mean, we've already seen two big surprised this World Cup, and after only two days!

It definitely is, as long as we don't lose to Japan. If we lose, then it'll be very very hard, close to impossible.

I think the wild card for this game could be Josh Kennedy. He's a tall striker (similar in height to Peter Crouch of England) and could provide big big worries for the Japanese defence.

the buzz here in tokyo is that australia are a physical team that fouls a lot. one commentator even went so far as saying that australia plays dirty. japan will use their fantastic midfield (nakata, nakamura, ono) to press the australian defense early on. although we held off holland with 10 men, we have seen how foul-prone we can be.

they fear the avarage height advantage (6cm) and are wary of kennedy being used as a secret weapon. they feel the best way to win is press the aussie defense and draw fouls early on, forcing australia to be conservsative in attack.

the good thing is there appears to be a bit of discord in the japanese camp with nakata rumoured to be alienated, or distancing himself from the main core of the team. he publicly slated the team after their disappointing malta match and reportedly had been avoiding the rest of the players in the training sessions following that match, training on his own. they should have sorted their personal problems out by now, but compared to the comraderie in the aussie team this is another advantage we take into the game.

whta i really fear is the japanese midfield. whilst they lack pure strike power, their midfield is truly world-class. nakata and nakamura are a joy to watch, as is ono. their biggest weakness is a lack of instinctive finishers, and a defense that whilst good tactically, isn't very quick. this is where kewell and cahill should find space.