Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Australia In The World Cup

good job Australia, what a luck you had in the final 8 minutes, thank me for our fantastic win over Ghana, Iaquinta made Ghana powerless in his 2nd goal.

TAKU,

It was created to be shared with anyone and everyone, feel free to sent it out. I see no copyrights listed and the folks I got it from got if from someone else.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

kenny

what a game from france, they were on the verge of losing

I just found some nice records Australia made last game.

- Australia is the first team at this tournament, to come back after being 1-0 down, and Cahill (twice) and John Aloisi became the second and third substitute to score at the 2006 World Cup.

- No other team has scored three goals in the last seven minutes in World Cup history.

- Tim Cahill's equaliser was Australia's first ever World Cup goal

- Cahill is the fourth player next to Miroslav Klose (Germany), Omar Bravo (Mexico) and Paulo Wanchope (Costa Rica) to score twice at the 2006 World Cup.

I see Australia is still top of the group after all teams have 1 game ;)

Thats nice. We are beating Brazil because we scored 3 goals to Brazils 1. Im sure the table will look quite different after the next round though. I think the best Australia can hope for is a draw against Brazil. But you never know.

now i am a little bit confident that Australia will pass the 2nd round, but i will be more confident if you also win the next game.

now i am a little bit confident that Australia will pass the 2nd round, but i will be more confident if you also win the next game.

Im not expecting a victory but i believe if Australia plays well then we can get a draw with Brazil.

Australia is obivously going to lose to Brazil, the question is whether they can hold Croatia. Croatia should beat Japan.

Australia is obivously going to lose to Brazil, the question is whether they can hold Croatia. Croatia should beat Japan.

Im hopeing Australia can draw with Brazil (which is possible) and Japan beat Croatia. That way Australia is into the next round even if we dont beat Croatia.

Yeah. Australia is playing better than Japan too. Ive never seen a more incompident ref.

He was quite poor. It was obvious to everyone except the ref that Schwarzer was fouled although Schwarzer said in an interview that the ref did admit he made a mistake, which was good to hear.

The game was brilliant. We made abit of a slow start but dominated for most of the first half. That goal took the momentum well away from us, but the boys did well to keep their cool, although Japan played really really well.

Alot of people were asking alot about Hiddink's very tough training schedule in the leadup to the World Cup, worrying about the players possibly being tired, but make no mistake, those extra training sessions got the team through the last 15 minutes where it was clear we were superior in terms of fitness. It was very very hot out there and we looked as if we could play another 30 or so minutes easily.

I was right when I said Hiddink would bring on Kennedy in the second half and he was brilliant. He injected new life into our attack and was a part of all the plays, playing a major role in setting up Aloisi for the third goal.

Hiddink got the tactics wrong in the first half, but made total amends with his substitutions. He brought on Sir Tim Cahill (he deserves a knighthood!!! :) ), Kennedy and Aloisi. He then moved Culina and Kewell onto the wings where they destroyed their opponents and just attacked the goal.

I honestly thought we had lost it, but what a finish. The scenes back here after the win were as though we'd won the whole thing. As a football fan, it was one of the best days of my life. Scoring our first ever win in the World Cup, in such circumstances, when people were writing us off as easybeats before the tournament had begun (as USA coach Bruce Arena did!!! only for his team to get schooled by the mighty Czech's), and to put up such a performance on the world stage, we've arrived my friends!!!

Now onto Brazil. This will be a tough game, the toughest we've ever come across. However, the Brazilians were far from their best against Croatia, so if they play like that again, and we make the most of our chances, of which I doubt there will be too many of, then we could escape with a draw.

It's all in our hands now.

I think Australia got lucky, it was quite obvious the Japanese were shocked and desperate for another goal which weakened their defence dramatically. I was watching that match and my family and I never laughed so hard at a football match. The standard = :thbdn: and neither the Japanese nor Aussies should reach be in the world cup.

What disgusted me more was the biased commentator Simon Hill, halfway through the match I was about to call SBS and complain, but I didn't think they would care.

I think Australia got lucky, it was quite obvious the Japanese were shocked and desperate for another goal which weakened their defence dramatically. I was watching that match and my family and I never laughed so hard at a football match. The standard = :thbdn: and neither the Japanese nor Aussies should reach be in the world cup.

What disgusted me more was the biased commentator Simon Hill, halfway through the match I was about to call SBS and complain, but I didn't think they would care.

Ive also listen to a reasonable portion of the English commentary and both sounded very simular in their beliefs about the match.

The BBC guy went nuts when Cahill scored his goals.

I agree with Cav (yes the world has ended) that we won't draw or beat Brazil, it'll be damage imatation and nothing more.

Whats key is drawing Croatia atleast.

Im hopeing Australia can draw with Brazil (which is possible)

Nop.

I think Australia got lucky, it was quite obvious the Japanese were shocked and desperate for another goal which weakened their defence dramatically.

I saw the last few minutes and was absolutely dumbstruck by the lack of quality shown by Japan, they just fell over.

The standard = :thbdn: and neither the Japanese nor Aussies should reach be in the world cup.

Yes, but together with Ghana and Croatia, they are the teams that can cause the biggest upsets 'raikkonen_rulez', you never know...

TAKU,

It was created to be shared with anyone and everyone, feel free to sent it out. I see no copyrights listed and the folks I got it from got if from someone else.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

kenny

no problem. it's a fantastic little sheet

man, i watched this match in a bar in tokyo and i wsa one of only 3 aussies amongst at least 100 viewers. i could've sworn we were watching a different match! the way the japanese fell apart in teh last 5minutes after Cahill's equaliser was dumbfounding, yes, but they were all very precise finishes just the same. i think nothing should be taken away from cahill, aloisi and kennedy's contributions. kewell also looked dangerous on several occasions and the way the aussies kept trying until the very end and never gave up shows true team and fighting spirit. this is what is expected at the world class level so to suggest that australia do not belong there is very weak.

against the mighty brazil - to expect a draw would be optimistic, as the brazilians will not play 2 average games in a row and will be looking to make amends against us, but an exciting game is in the offering. hiddink is truly a master though so we have as good a chance for a surprising result as any in the group.

the croatia match is obviously the key.

This could be a problem

AUSTRALIA coach Guus Hiddink is considering resting one or more key players against Brazil to avert the prospect of losing them to suspension for the Socceroos' decisive World Cup group clash against Croatia.

his first major dilemma of Germany 2006, Hiddink is weighing up whether to risk playing Tim Cahill, Lucas Neill, Craig Moore and John Aloisi in Australia's second Group F clash in the knowledge they are just one yellow away from automatic one-game bans.

The quartet all picked up cards, three of which were described by Hiddink as silly and unnecessary, during Australia's historic 3-1 win against Japan on Monday.

And it has left a worrying conundrum for the coach, who may opt to leave one or two of them out, even if it magnifies the likelihood of being devoured by the world champions in Sunday night's monster clash in Munich.

"I'll have to think strongly if I can use them against Brazil," Hiddink said.

"One of the negative aspects of the game against Japan was that we have some silly yellow cards, which we spoke about before the game.

"So there's a little bit of criticism from my side to those who committed these little bit stupid fouls.

"Not all were deserved. John Aloisi getting booked was bad judgment by the referee (Egyptian Essam Abd El Fatah) but the other ones I thought were stupid and deserved to be booked."

Should Hiddink decide to remove either of his defensive pillars, Neill or Moore, he would leave the edifice prone to collapse with only Tony Popovic, whose lack of pace would be manna from heaven to Ronaldo and Adriano, or the inexperienced Michael Beauchamp available.

There's also the option of deploying Brett Emerton, who played in three positions against Japan and is Australia's fittest player, as a centre back, especially since that's where he finished the match against the Japanese.

Cahill, despite his two history-making strikes in Kaiserslautern, has been booked in successive Socceroos matches.

But Hiddink might take the path of least resistance and once again start him on the bench.

Aloisi, who unlike the others is not required to make potentially goal-saving tackles, is less of a concern.

The fact goal difference will potentially prove decisive is another consideration for Hiddink, who can ill-afford a hammering against Brazil.

Assistant coach Graham Arnold is uncertain whether Hiddink will reveal his strategy on the issue, or play his yellow cards close to his chest.

"It's certainly something we have to talk about," Arnold said.

"It's a concern. But you have to take each match as it comes. Look too far down the track and you can bring yourself undone.

"Against a side like Brazil, goal difference could be a big factor.

"If you ask the players on yellows, they will want to start against Brazil because it will be such a fantastic experience.

"I don't think we really have the luxury of resting too many (because of the squad's lack of depth). We've shocked the world by beating Japan and now Brazil will be looking over their shoulders at us."

THE Socceroos will wear their alternative blue strip against Brazil on Sunday night.

It's the same uniform they used in the warm-up match against the Netherlands in Rotterdam on June 4.

Under World Cup rules, the team named first in the official fixture - in this case Brazil - has the right to choose which strip to wear if a clash occurs.

Brazil will wear its traditional yellow shirts and blue shorts.

I saw the last few minutes and was absolutely dumbstruck by the lack of quality shown by Japan, they just fell over

As I said, the key was fitness, and those gruelling double training sessions Hiddink held for the squad in the lead up to the World Cup paid off big time, especially considering the heat they were playing in.

As for the yellow card issues, Guus is in a tricky situation, but I have enough trust in him to support whatever he does.

As for the yellow card issues, Guus is in a tricky situation, but I have enough trust in him to support whatever he does.

Here is a article i found

GUUS Hiddink has vowed to go for it against world champion Brazil, insisting he will not rest any of his stars on yellow cards.

Contrary to week-long conjecture, he will unleash all the force Australia can muster by naming his strongest line-up and telling them to tip Aussie spirit all over Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and the rest of Brazil's stellar cast.

Speaking exclusively to The Sunday Telegraph, Hiddink said: "This game has the potential to shape the way the public view football in Australia and it's important I allow the team to go out and play the Australian way.

"That means going for it and attacking the Brazilians. That's the Australian way, not being meek and mild and failing to try and make a statement.

"This team isn't like that, and I don't want to try and hold them back. They have that great Aussie spirit and I want them to show it.

"It will be a massive test for them and if we lose the match and maybe end up not qualifying for the second phase, then we have to take that risk."

To that end, Hiddink has told Tim Cahill, Craig Moore and Vince Grella - all on yellow cards and walking a suspension tightrope ahead of the final Group F match against Croatia on Thursday - to tread carefully.

"You look at teams like Portugal, who two years ago played with a certain freedom and expression, and you look at them now when they play a big team and they shrink away from the battle and play with caution," Hiddink said.

"I don't want to see my Australian team play that way. Yes, it's a gamble. But I believe it's the way the boys want to play.

"I want to help the game grow in Australia and that can't be achieved by being in charge of a team that plays with fear.

"We want the people in Australia to be proud of this team and the way they approach matches."

Which means he will deal his best hand and see where the cards fall for the match against Croatia.

"They are an excellent team, and we have to face the possibility that we might not progress from this group," he said.

"If I had a stronger squad, maybe 20 top-class players, I would approach the Brazil game maybe a bit differently with the yellow-card players (of which striker John Aloisi is a fourth) but beneath our first 13, the guys are really only average, honest professionals who work hard and run hard, but maybe don't have the capacity to change a match.

"So, after a lot of thought, I have decided to go for it."

Tonight's game in Munich will be one of the biggest fixtures in the World Cup group stages, the fascination the world has with Brazil added to admiration for how well the Socceroos played against Japan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Australia is playing all the players who got yellow cards against Japan. I think the best result we can hope for is a win from Japan 1-0 and for Australia to draw with Brazil. That would mean Croatia wouldnt have enough points to get through to the next round and Japan would have to beat Brazil in order for them to get through.

oh i am eager to see Australia play agianst Brazil, do you think aussies will crush Brazil too?

oh i am eager to see Australia play agianst Brazil, do you think aussies will crush Brazil too?

I am under no illusion that Australia is going to fight a uphill battle against Brazil. I hope that we can get a draw and if we play extremely well then i think we can win. I learned a long time ago that anything can happen in sport and nothing is certain.

This should be fun

*rubs hands

I hope Brazil go all out today, none of the 2nd gear stuff, they are not up against a team that could be a danger unlike last time.