Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Australia In The World Cup

Actually matey its an ENGLISH game therefor it should be called FOTTBALL!

We're talking about the FIFA world cup - the second F in FIFA stands for football - so aussies and americans must respect that and refer to it as football!!!

yeh we should all call it football, all of americans and others must respect FIFA's rule.

BRAZIL'S coach Carlos Alberto Parreira yesterday nominated Australia as favourite to join his men in the last 16 of the World Cup.

"Australia have a good chance to go through. They do not need to win the match (against Croatia) and that is a big advantage," he said.

"It will be an open game, two teams that play a similar way and both are very well prepared. Anything can happen but the advantage may be with Australia.

"If they play against Croatia as they did against us then they will have a very good chance to go through."

And he admitted: "Australia gave us a very hard game. They were strong physically and were very well organised and defended solidly."

He added, "When teams play us they play differently. They pack the midfield and it makes it hard for us.

"And then when we scored they were chasing the game. They put three forwards up and that gave us the space we needed for the second.

"Some teams go crazy when they come up against such an approach but we didn't go crazy. We dealt with it."

Parreira also defended his striker Ronaldo.

"He is getting better with each game," he said. "You must remember before he joined the squad he hadn't played for two months."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its nice to see the coach of arguably the best side in modern times respects the Socceroos and believe's they will do well.

They are playing very well tonight, saying that I've probably just jinxed them - currently 2-2 so if it changes, I'm sorry. :blush:

Awesome performance from the Australians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always knew that we could make it through to the round of 16. We should of won the match by another goal at least with Viduka being tackled rugby style inside the 18 yard box and a hand ball also inside the 18 yard box, but never mind we got away with the draw and that's all that matters in the end. :D

Interesting. Australia Vs Italy. Australia seem to let the lead go before they wake up, that would be very very dangerous against Italy.

However Nesta isn't playing next game, that is scary for Italy.

Interesting. Australia Vs Italy. Australia seem to let the lead go before they wake up, that would be very very dangerous against Italy.

However Nesta isn't playing next game, that is scary for Italy.

Yes, by no means should Italy "assume" they will win. It will be tough for Australia but I have faith in them and Guus.

That Croatia match had some disgreful refereeing. The rugby style tackle on Dukes was so obvious I don't know how the officials missed it. That second blatant hand ball was also pretty easy to spot. And wtf was going on with 3 yellow cards????

Australia really need to be on the ball from the word go, they seemed to be asleep for the first 10 minutes or so in both halves and only then controlling the match. Hopefully Guus will fix it for the match vs Italy.

and please Guus, DO NOT PUT KALACH IN AGAIN!!!! he's far to clumsy with the ball!!!!

and please Guus, DO NOT PUT KALACH IN AGAIN!!!! he's far to clumsy with the ball!!!!

True,

Kalach had a shocker, I have never had that much confidence in him to start with.

Hows your new plasma going anyway mate??

Im extremely happy that we made it through to the final 16. That is what i wanted from the very begining and if we go further in the cup then thats just a bonus. On a side not that ref wasnt very good. That Croatian defender did a rugby tackle on Mark Viduka and it wasnt penalised.

So 2 Australian penalties not giving that should have been. Three yellow cards given to the same player. A goal scored from offside given.

Doesn't look good for the english referee. I think I'm right in saying he made more "wrong" decisions than right.

The last 5 minutes I was laughing so hard I didn't realise the whistle had blown and thought Aussie had scored in the dying minutes! :blush:

The refs killed the 2002 tournament, I hope they don't do it again.

It's only Oz till now, I'll be darn p**sed if they do it against an important team like they did in '02.

;)

The refs killed the 2002 tournament, I hope they don't do it again.

It's only Oz till now,

Australia hasnt had a single good ref for all of our matches. And not only are these refs always wrong they always manage to penalise Australia for doing nothing wrong and ive seen rugby tackles done our players without even getting a free kick. Another example was in the Brazil game when one of Brazilians had the ball and tripped over his own feet and the Australia defender who was a good metre away got penalised. Do all Football referee's make a huge amount of mistakes in all football matches or Australia just lucky enough to get the crap ones.

so we meet with this coach again, remember this coach was Korea's coach in 2002, who "beat" us with cheating, now we will do our revenge and make him suffer.

Do all Football referee's make a huge amount of mistakes in all football matches or Australia just lucky enough to get the crap ones.

Quite common, it is one of the huge issues with football right now (forever actually, but now there is close scrutiny due to innumerable TV cameras slo mos etc). It's a big debate within footbal whether they should use technology to assist referees, like they do in cricket. I am all in favour of it, too many matches get spoilt by bad refereeing, too many matches are decided by it. Football is a low scoring sport, one goal can mean everything, so can one penalty decision, one red card etc. The other major issue is that goals are hard to come by, so sometimes an undeserving team can win. Even then, the good outweighs the bad, it is by far the most wonderful sport in the world - a true combination of all sporting attributes - power, skill, finesse, coordination, teamwork, intelligence, toughness, strategy everything. It strikes the true balance between teamwork and individual skill that I have not seen in any other sport - you can see breathtaking individual skill, yet poor teamwork can leave a great player starved.

I can rave on forever about football :D

42" plasma's are good aren't they?

<_<

goes back to his 21" monitor and headphones :(

Australia to play Italy early tomorrow morning. Italy have been knocked out of the world cup by minor football nations before and i hope it happens again. They dont have their star defender which will hopefully help us. Unfortuantly Kewell wont be able to play an entire match because he injured himself abit but our coach says Kewell will still be used as a strike player.

Australia have reach the second round and that is what i wanted. If we do any better from here on then thats just a bonus.