Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Australia In The World Cup

NO......

maybe have a look at it early afternoon....

Only seen one angle. The videos on the website aren't up yet :eusa_think:

Only seen one angle. The videos on the website aren't up yet :eusa_think:

Well I can sum it up..

The Aussie goes to ground but nowhere near the players feet and the player knows he is there and decides to "step" over him and fall.

IMO if it had been closer he'd have a point, but he clearly could see what had happened and decided he was going to try and make something out of it.

The Italians had done this before in the match and got away with it, if they'd been warned about it, I think the Italians wouldn't have tried it on.

After seeing the Portugal and Netherlands match though, I guess the Italians thought they could get away with anything.

Time for some new, better referees me think, they're either giving away too many yellows by far or not enough.

Not in reference to this game, but it's not the refs it is the way the game is now. We get to see far more than the referee, they are just human. Unfortunately too many games in football get decided by referees rather thanthe players which is the biggest issue with the game (I think I posted this earlier in the thread also). The Italians were denied 2 clear goals in the last world cup, which was why they lost to Korea. I hate to see games decided by Referee errors, and if this one was it is a pity. However it happens to everyone, they have to either use TV replays (which I am in favour of) or just carry on. A lot of people are in favour of carrying on. The 2002 tournament is the worst major football tournament I've ever seen, partly due to underperforming top teams and partly poor refereeing. This one's been better, although the round of 16 till now has been disappointing.

Well I can sum it up..

The Aussie goes to ground but nowhere near the players feet and the player knows he is there and decides to "step" over him and fall.

The Italian probably dived - not sure i it was Grosso or Toni. But you can't throw yourself between the ball and an attacker.

After seeing the Portugal and Netherlands match though, I guess the Italians thought they could get away with anything.

That match was horrible, particularly the Portuguese. That is the main reason I do not like Luis Figo despite the fact that he is a great player - he acts like an animal. Quite honestly I don't blame the referee that much for that one, the players just went crazy.

Not in reference to this game, but it's not the refs it is the way the game is now. We get to see far more than the referee, they are just human. Unfortunately too many games in football get decided by referees rather thanthe players which is the biggest issue with the game (I think I posted this earlier in the thread also). The Italians were denied 2 clear goals in the last world cup, which was why they lost to Korea. I hate to see games decided by Referee errors, and if this one was it is a pity. However it happens to everyone, they have to either use TV replays (which I am in favour of) or just carry on. A lot of people are in favour of carrying on. The 2002 tournament is the worst major football tournament I've ever seen, partly due to underperforming top teams and partly poor refereeing. This one's been better, although the round of 16 till now has been disappointing.

The Italian probably dived - not sure i it was Grosso or Toni. But you can't throw yourself between the ball and an attacker.

That match was horrible, particularly the Portuguese. That is the main reason I do not like Luis Figo despite the fact that he is a great player - he acts like an animal. Quite honestly I don't blame the referee that much for that one, the players just went crazy.

Well it seems to me that the Aussies will walk away from this and remember why football isn't one of their favourite sports, because it isn't played sportingly. They should have had two more penalties against Croatia and now they've been given one against them which by no means should have been given.

This means next time it comes around the Aussies will either not be bothered or ready for revenge, which is a shame as Aussies were one of the better sides this year when it came to honesty. They'd be tackled, go to ground, but just get up again most of the time, instead of playing around.

I'm glad there is a steward that is given as much time to analyse something as needed in F1. Makes sure that most decisions are correct.

Well it seems to me that the Aussies will walk away from this and remember why football isn't one of their favourite sports, because it isn't played sportingly. They should have had two more penalties against Croatia and now they've been given one against them which by no means should have been given.

Sh#t happens. Nobody was deliberately out to get them. It happened to Italy last time out, they came back. If this affects their attitude to the sport, well too bad. They won't be missed. Besides the red card wasn't fair either.

This means next time it comes around the Aussies will either not be bothered or ready for revenge,
Neither. Not the players at least, most of them won't be in the team in 4 years. Quite frankly neither will the media - they will probably be as enthusiastic as this time if they manage to qualify again. That I have to give to the Aussies.
I'm glad there is a steward that is given as much time to analyse something as needed in F1. Makes sure that most decisions are correct.

Indeed, when people criticize F1 for that, they are being extremely short sighted. It happens in every contact sport, F1 deals with it better than most actually. Footballers do it because they know they can get away with it.

They won't be missed? I don't think you can speak on behalf of the entire audience of the World Cup.

Exactly. Which is why a lot of naturalised Australians I know, who will support Australia in any other sport still support their countries of birth in football. They said a few days ago they will bid for the 2018 world cup. I hope they still do.

By the way, still a penalty. There was contact, and whether Grosso was looking for it is irrelevant. Neill threw himself between the player and the ball. Penalty.

I am not the only one..

In a tournament of many cards but few penalties, this was one of the softer

ones. Yet Lucas Neill's only complaints should be against himself. By going to

ground he gave Fabio Grosso the chance to fall over him and lying down in front of an opponent is not a legitimate way of stopping him.

You may say Grosso should have stayed on his feet, but he's under no obligation to clear illegal obstacles.

http://www.worldcup365.com/f365opinion/0,16726,8500,00.html

Ah so we're allowing diving now.

*makes note*

Not one person in our analysis said it was anywhere near fair and as far as I have heard on all radios they are saying similar things - I just spoke to my Dad and it is the same in Holland too.

The Guardian

There seemed little danger however, until Lucas Neill slid in idiotically to challenge - at which point Grosso needed no prompting to throw himself over the prone Australia defender and claim the penalty, which despite intense pressure Totti coolly slammed high and hard past Mark Schwarzer. It was the final kick of the game.

It's not a dive. There was contact, he just did not try and go around - which he isn't obliged to. Diving at least in football is when you go down intentionally without contact.

Considering the completely ridiculous red card, the Australians should have absolutely no complaints. I can say more after I see the whole match tomorrow, but going by the highlights the Australians created nothing, not even when they were a player up.

Created nothing?

Ok with those sorts of silly remarks I know this is going nowhere.

I didn't see Buffon being forced to make a single difficult save. I am sorry but you beginning to sound like the peopl who watch football only during major tournaments and then pretend they know everything.

I pretend to know everything? bulls##t. Only offered my opinion, but realised there is no point talking chances when you haven't seen the full match as that would be unfair, but you have to channel the discussion down this route. Can I never discuss anything with you?

I don't see the point in us discussing chances when you didn't see the full football match, hence me saying it is going nowhere
Fair enough maybe I slightly misread that, but I did say in the same sentence that I am going by the highlights.
, for example Kahills chance was perfectly good, but you've got to take it down the route which is nothing to do with the football. What exactly was the point of your comment considering I've said nothing of the kind? I don't pretend anything, I just state my opinion no matter whether I know little or a lot, but I'll remember this in future.

I'm disappointed, very.

I stand by it. You said

That referee got paid a fair few by Italy.

Farce.

You would know that whatever the opinions over the penalty were, most if not all reports say the red card was unfair.

That is pretty much what a lot of my Australian friends here have been saying, most of them started watching football two weeks ago, and won't be watching again for a while.

If you retract that and my comment no longer stands. If you stand by it and I do too.

As for the refereeing standards, it has been like this in football since I have been watching and before - it's the way the game is.

Yes that was a lighthearted comment just highlighting the fact that the penalty was unfair. How does that show I think I know everything?

You're last part of your post has me confused, could you explain it?

Didn't say that - I said you are beginning to sound like bla bla bla, not that you are bla bla bla.

You said they need better referees (not sure if that was lighthearted too), I am saying the referees have been like this for as long as I can remember, I don't think they can do any better under the present system.

Yes they need better referees and if it is not humanly possible then it looks like if players don't improve their "fairplay" then rugby like measures need to be introduced.

Just imagine if this happens between two countries who's fans are known to riot, it would be a mess off the pitch as well!

What happens in Rugby?

As for fans rioting, they often tend to do that regardless of whether they lose fairly or unfairly, so it probably wouldn't matter ;)

They go to a video referee for anything the referee feels he did not see enough to make fair judgement.

I was talking more about the game last night in regards to my later comment, if players headbutt etc.

Ah ok. That has been a topic of debate in football, the argument against it being that it would break up the flow of the game.

They do give bans based on post match reviews of the video. Looks like Figo got away though, probably because they might feel that other players banned probably didn't deserve it anyway.

some reading on that.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=350653&cc=3436

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=346896&cc=3436

I am all in favour of it.

Ok, we got robbed.

Fair enough, the red card was harsh, probably only deserved a yellow on that occasion, BUT the red card din't cost Italy a goal and the match, and the player was actually in the wrong, where as Neill didn't even make contact.

Dirty cheating Italians. This is why I don't watch much socer bar the world cup, to much diving and acting on the ground, really gets to me at times, as it is so frustrating.

Ok, we got robbed.

Fair enough, the red card was harsh, probably only deserved a yellow on that occasion, BUT the red card din't cost Italy a goal and the match, and the player was actually in the wrong, where as Neill didn't even make contact.

Dirty cheating Italians. This is why I don't watch much socer bar the world cup, to much diving and acting on the ground, really gets to me at times, as it is so frustrating.

We were robbed. Neil never made contact, it was infact the Italian player who ran into him. The Red card was abit harsh but as someone else said that decision didnt cost the Italians the game. We were playing well and that penalty should never have happend. I also recall a hand ball by a Italian in the box. Techniqually that should have been a Australian panalty :angry: