Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Australia In The World Cup

I'm worried that all the good work our ladds achieved at the World Cup in raising the profile of Soccer/Football in Australia might be tarnished by the poor decision made by the ref in the final seconds of the match against Italy. The general Australian public are not great fans of play acting on the pitch. And sadly it might be play acting that is going to stick in many peoples minds when the general Australian public think of the game.

I hope that I'm wrong in my assumption, I would love to see Australian Soccer/Football go forward from what our ladds achieved in Germany.

We were robbed. Neil never made contact, it was infact the Italian player who ran into him. The Red card was abit harsh but as someone else said that decision didnt cost the Italians the game.

Neill should watch more Seria A .they do it week in and week out..

Neill was cannon fodder for the desperate Tired italian who was ready to go down even if the defended started Breathing heavily..

the defender should not have fallen down.... and once he did and the italian Kicked the ball away, the defender should have rolled away.....

It wasn't even playacting. Neill blocked both his feet, I guess everyone missed his trailing arm.

untitled111jt.jpg

untitled128ni.jpg

Penalty. Each time, every time unless the ref gets it wrong. He didn't. Get over it.

The best argument I have heard today is Australians don't like unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Guess they never watch their cricket team :rolleyes2:

kay_zee, maybe and obviously you didn't see how the aussie player did the foul in the sqaure.

God Cav.... You are so stubborn sometimes..... Its like Fisi has never done wrong...... Now a penatly that 90% know was wrong was right....

The italian idiot knew he wasn't going to score so he decided not to go for the ball but the player on the ground. I've also been told (not checked it myself yet as im working) that the ref actually was raising his arm before the player even contacted him (maybe they're just being stupid though).

kay_zee, maybe and obviously you didn't see how the aussie player did the foul in the sqaure.

I saw it all thanks and like the commentators I had for the match and the analysis team after, no one said it even edged on fair.

You go on about Australians this and Australians that, but most of the people that say it isn't a penalty aren't Australian.

BTW with still shots you can say anything, still shots made it look like Brazil was Webber's fault, when it was clearly and DC later admitted to it, his own fault.

You go on about Australians this and Australians that, but most of the people that say it isn't a penalty aren't Australian.
I presume that was addressed to me? The previous comment wasn't mine.
BTW with still shots you can say anything, still shots made it look like Brazil was Webber's fault, when it was clearly and DC later admitted to it, his own fault.

I have an HD clip of the incident for anyone woh wants to see it, the youtube video quality is horrible.

Ther are plenty of people who also said it was a penalty. I prefer to trust my own judgement in football, I have seen penalties awarded for incidents like this many many times. You can argue whether it is fair or not, but most refs in Europe would give it.

Its a tight call and could go either way but in my opinion the ref should have given the benifit of the doubt to Australia.

That is one of the more balanced remarks I've heard :thbup:

Pity we'd have liked to knock you out ourselves. No seriously I was hoping you'd win in the same way I supported Mexico against Argentina. The Italians were just better I'm afraid, which is no shame as they're a talented team.

I presume that was addressed to me? The previous comment wasn't mine.

I have an HD clip of the incident for anyone woh wants to see it, the youtube video quality is horrible.

Ther are plenty of people who also said it was a penalty. I prefer to trust my own judgement in football, I have seen penalties awarded for incidents like this many many times. You can argue whether it is fair or not, but most refs in Europe would give it.

That is one of the more balanced remarks I've heard :thbup:

So you know better than the Italian player, who said the penalty on it's own was harsh? But a response to sort out the player down situation.

Now when they were even, Italy never scored, yet the ref decided to give Italy the game and yes this is what he was doing by awarding the penalty as there was no more time left on the game. If this was a response to be a red card, then the ref should have sent off an Aussie player, like for like, not determine the game's outcome because he felt he'd made a msitake.

So you know better than the Italian player, who said the penalty on it's own was harsh? But a response to sort out the player down situation.

Now when they were even, Italy never scored, yet the ref decided to give Italy the game and yes this is what he was doing by awarding the penalty as there was no more time left on the game. If this was a response to be a red card, then the ref should have sent off an Aussie player, like for like, not determine the game's outcome because he felt he'd made a msitake.

It would have been far more fair if he didnt give the penalty. It still would have been 0-0 going into extra time. Then both teams would have had a fair shot at the win. The ref effectively handed Italy the match with that decision.

Who?

As I said before I trust my own judgement on this.

Now when they were even, Italy never scored, yet the ref decided to give Italy the game and yes this is what he was doing by awarding the penalty

The time has no bearing on the decision. If it's a penalty it's penalty, in the first minute or the 93rd.

I've also been told (not checked it myself yet as im working) that the ref actually was raising his arm before the player even contacted him (maybe they're just being stupid though).

Yes he had his arms raised for play on after Grosso got past the previous player (Bresciano?). Yes they are being stupid. This is about the fourth football match they've ever seen in their lives I presume?

No they actually watch every game they can possible get to or see on tv.

Who?

As I said before I trust my own judgement on this.

The time has no bearing on the decision. If it's a penalty it's penalty, in the first minute or the 93rd.

Yet it wasn't a penalty, just a ref making up for a bad decision in a stupid manner.

Poor.

I've now read a newspaper article on the manner and they believe it was no clear penalty either.

Kay - Did you look at a good quality clip of it, closely, preferably in slow motion? If you have we can just agree to disagree.

:yawn::sleep1:

Not nearly as bad as the sutff I am supposed to be studying right now :(

It wasn't that, Brad - it was just an interminable argument between two immovable objects...........and I was losing the will to live. ^_^

What is it that you are supposed to be studying, Cav, or have I just let myself in for more industrial grade boredom?

You'll probably kill me for this but I have to post this - just heard the news and they put the Iraqi Information Minister to shame - they actually said this: "Waves of Australian attack were poundingthe Italian defences" :lmavfa:

You'll probably kill me for this but I have to post this - just heard the news and they put the Iraqi Information Minister to shame - they actually said this: "Waves of Australian attack were poundingthe Italian defences" :lmavfa:

Indeed? :eusa_think: