Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Australia In The World Cup

I heard before the match that Italian players were known for diving so it was something i was expecting might happen. But its a horrible feeling to be knocked out of the world cup because a Italian players milked a penalty.

maybe ppl you still didn't see how Neill did the foul, and i am sure you dont want to see it, coz in your minds it is written that "it wasn't a penalty, Grosso just dived", and if someone says something you wont change it, coz your narrow minds wouldn'y accept that info.

If you look at the footage again, you'll notice Iaquinta all alone standing there waiting for the ball. There was no defender on him or blocking his way, so if Grosso had passed he could have easily given the ball to Iaquinta who could have easily scored. But he couldn't! Now why would he risk a perfect goal by falling, huh?

Oh, and the ref is right there...very close!!! He can't mistake that call.

see it for urself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXNc-4To80c&search=Grosso

Oh dear me, it is nothing about narrow minds, but the right to disagree.

The majority of the media and football commentators here agree that it was not a penalty.

Give it a rest, what's done is done and after seeing how this 'cup' has been reffed is it any wonder why we Americans could care less?

Give it a rest, what's done is done and after seeing how this 'cup' has been reffed is it any wonder why we Americans could care less?

Most of us get the feeling that USA couldnt care less cos americans don't care about anything that isn't american and are more interested in sports involving only americans like NFL and NBA. Actor Owen Wilson said recently that its a shame that america doesnt take more of an interest in sports outside america (he attended a gp, i forget which one)

no, it's not it, i wanna ingrave in these narrow minded aussies that it was a penalty, and the referee was standing beside Neill and Grosso, when the foul happened, so be sure that the ref sow it clearly, so he blew his wistle, the wistle didn't blew by itself...

I saw this on The Glass House (a comedy) in their tomorrow's headlines

Australia obsessed with Soccer and Celebrity Wedding

Relies with horror, We've turned into England

Australia is part of England anyway isnt it?? :naughty:

You can fit England in Australia rather easily but it doesnt work to ways. Im not certain about size but id imagine England isnt any bigger than Victoria. Ideally i would like to move Australia you your part of the world as i feel you get alot more rain up there.

You can fit England in Australia rather easily but it doesnt work to ways. Im not certain about size but id imagine England isnt any bigger than Victoria. Ideally i would like to move Australia you your part of the world as i feel you get alot more rain up there.

I think our weather is great cos in the summer its warm but not TOO warm, and theres still a little bit of rain now and then, and in winter theres always snow, so its a nice mixture and never too hot or too cold. I think aus would be too hot for me and I'd be surrounded by that ridiculous accent!

I think our weather is great cos in the summer its warm but not TOO warm, and theres still a little bit of rain now and then, and in winter theres always snow, so its a nice mixture and never too hot or too cold. I think aus would be too hot for me and I'd be surrounded by that ridiculous accent!

I wouldnt be keen on the cold but i would love the rain. Australia needs alot of rain right now. My aunt lives in England and is married to a Englishman (they work at ITV) and when he came to Australia he actually prefered Australia's climate as it was much warmer.

No they are just unprofessional.
The team covering the World Cup here have been championing the cause of the sport for years when everyone took their dig at it. We haven't been there for 32 years and to lose like that is hard to stomach. The broadcasters have been through thick and thin with football in this country and I take exception to you calling them unprofessional. They've been as unbiased as possible and have been second to none in their coverage of the sport. Gennaro Gattuso said it wasn't a penalty in an Italian newspaper, further emphasising the views of pretty much everyone except the odd fan.

As for the "penalty", I've never been ashamed to be a fan of football but a few days after the infamous match, I still am sick in the stomach at what happened and for the first time, am ashamed at what the sport has become with divers getting penalties. How it can be called obstruction is beyond me. Neill was on the ground and made no contact with Grosso. Grosso could have jumped over Neill as the ball was past him, but instead he just ran into him and fell over. It was a disgrace.

If this affects their attitude to the sport, well too bad. They won't be missed. Besides the red card wasn't fair either.

As for the red card, I agree, it was a yellow card offence, not a red.

There was contact, and whether Grosso was looking for it is irrelevant
There was contact because Grosso ran into Neill. When Neill made the challenge, he made NO contact. Had he done so, then a penalty would have been fair.
It's not a dive. There was contact, he just did not try and go around - which he isn't obliged to. Diving at least in football is when you go down intentionally without contact.

See above

I didn't see Buffon being forced to make a single difficult save. I am sorry but you beginning to sound like the peopl who watch football only during major tournaments and then pretend they know everything.
Oh and you sound sooooo much better :rolleyes: I will agree with you when we say we didn't create as many chances as we should considering our advantage. We created some chances and failed to finish the ones we did. That partially led to our downfall, but apart from a couple of chances, Italy did nothing but sit back and defend, even when they had 11 men and did nothing but that when forced down to 10 men. We deserved to go into extra time at the very least. What you must remember is that the Italian team perfected the art of defending. A defence I doubt either Argentina or Brazil would have broken down significantly easier than we did.
That is pretty much what a lot of my Australian friends here have been saying, most of them started watching football two weeks ago, and won't be watching again for a while

Don't judge us all like that, because not all of us are of that criteria.

The team covering the World Cup here have been championing the cause of the sport for years when everyone took their dig at it. We haven't been there for 32 years and to lose like that is hard to stomach.

The broadcasters have been through thick and thin with football in this country and I take exception to you calling them unprofessional. They've been as unbiased as possible and have been second to none in their coverage of the sport.

If you cannot get past blind national fervour, you should stay out of professional commentary. Goes for each sport in every country. Few manage to adhere to it perfectly - (they are the few people in sport worth listening to). I have never seen something this bad since they got a talk show host / soap opera star to do cricket world cup commentary in India. However most people were used to better coverage there, and there was widespread criticism.

Face tattooing, flag waving and hysteria among fans adds colour to the game. In the comentary box, it is way out of place.

Gennaro Gattuso said it wasn't a penalty in an Italian newspaper, further emphasising the views of pretty much everyone except the odd fan.
I quoted some press sources about that earlier in this thread, it's not just the odd fan. As for Gattuso, where?
Grosso could have jumped over Neill as the ball was past him, but instead he just ran into him and fell over. It was a disgrace.

Same argument again. Why should he jump over someone and lose his goal scoring change in the bargain? How is he obliged to clear illegal obstacles? If this is acceptable, why do players go to the trouble of making excellent tackles when all they need to do is throw themselves in front of the attacking player, and as he tries to 'jump over' his mate behind him can run off with the ball.

:clap3:

Its actually not a laughing matter. Im wordering 2 things (and hopefully a football fan could answer these questions).

1. Why doesnt FIFA use video someone like the 3rd umpire in cricket to correct some of the bad refereeing decisons.

2. Why doesnt FIFA crack down on divers. They could use video evidence after the match and try to determan if a player deliberatly took a dive and suspend him for a match or two.

yeah fifa should crack down on divers, its always the spanish, italian and south american teams that play dirty. Seems like england are 1 of the few countries that play clean

yeah fifa should crack down on divers, its always the spanish, italian and south american teams that play dirty. Seems like england are 1 of the few countries that play clean

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

England vs Argentina, World Cup 2002.

Michael Owen

DIVES

Penalty

:rolleyes:

Wayne Rooney, the next young hope of English football.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zAoe1MheTU4&sea...football%20dive

Players from every country dive. Even Australia, noone can take the moral high ground, so don't even try.

Steven Gerrard, the other great hope of English football

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Prcxxr4bJ3E&sea...football%20dive

And for our rather deluded Australian fans

Harry Kewell, the great hope of Australian football is one of the most blatant divers in the sport.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...england&cc=3436

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/sport/2004/01/t...nt_220103.shtml

Shaun Wright Phillips

England international.

read this

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200603/s1605113.htm

And for our rather deluded Australian fans

Harry Kewell, the great hope of Australian football is one of the most blatant divers in the sport.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...england&cc=3436

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/sport/2004/01/t...nt_220103.shtml

From what i have heard Kewell has always been abit of a diver but i dont recall hearing that about any other Socceroo. I diver in a entire team is better than a team full of divers.

Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your time?

If you cannot get past blind national fervour, you should stay out of professional commentary
You'd have to have followed the sport in this country for a long time to understand what I'm getting at. The broadcaster has grown with the game here, championing its cause only to have insults thrown at is and the sport. Our qualification was justifiaction for all the suffering they'd gone through. They're close to the players and the staff and obviously felt an affinity to them. You would have have to been here when we lost those playoffs against Argentina, Iran and Uruguay to get into the 1994, 1998 and 2002 World Cups repectively to get an idea of what qualification meant.

The football analyst I think you're referring to is Craig Foster who is brilliant IMO. If you regularly watch their program "The World Game" you will know he and the team do not always blindly follow the team and have constructive criticism for the team at times. Foster was a part of the team that lost to Iran in '97 so you can only understand what qualification, and then participation meant to not only he but all the former Socceroos who failed to get to the World Cup. The broadcasters handled the exit of our team rather well, but I guess you can't keep everyone happy.

I quoted some press sources about that earlier in this thread, it's not just the odd fan. As for Gattuso, where?

It was on The World Cup Show where they held up an Italian newspaper with that headline.

Same argument again. Why should he jump over someone and lose his goal scoring change in the bargain? How is he obliged to clear illegal obstacles?

Neill was at fault for giving Grosso the opportunity to do what he did. The ref should be able to tell between a blatant illegal tackle in the box and what happened.