Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

The Best Drivers In The Rain????

The Best Drivers In The Rain????  

69 members have voted

1. 1. After Schumi who is the best wet weather racer

• Alonso
    • Raikonnen
    • Montoya
    • Coulthard
    • Barrichello
    • Button
    • Fisico
    • Webbo
    • 'Other' (please state below)

I thought so the other topic we were discussing in about why Button is 2nd to only schu in wet weather that I should hold a poll to see who you think is the best wet weather racer after Michael Schumacher on the current grid?

i would say ralf is the next best in the wet. could have won spa last year if not changed to dries to early. would hav one spa 98 if it wasnt for team orders. monaco 97 was running second in his fifth race until he hit the barrier. was leading nurburgring 99 till his tire exploded. suzuka qualifying last year got the pole. he's noy way in front of the others but i think he is the next best in the wet.

i dont know, other then Schumi, todays drivers are lackluster in the rain, so saying button is second best isnt really saying as much as you hope. but i would say that its a tie between Ralf Kimi and David.

Its way too hard to tell who is best in the rain. Over the past 5 years there has been very little rain effected races so i have no clue how drivers like Button, Alonso, R

cant really pick anyone because none of the current drivers stand out in my mind for their excellent skills in the rain :eusa_think:

the only one who is extremely impressive in the wet & stands out from the others is MS - not just saying that because i am a fan of his but he is truly the rain maestro - if anyone disagrees with this i would love to hear their arguement why :blink:

Everyone seems to forget Rubens drive in the rain for his first F1 victory, he stayed out on 'drys' while everyone else came in for 'wets', a brillant drive.................oh and he did it from the back of the grid also :clap3:

I remember that. Top job by Rubens from 18th. Button also did a good job in the same race from 16th to 4th, as I recall. He certainly blew Ralfie away.

Of course they were all helped by Fisi and Michael departing on lap 1.

I've just looked it up, and I didn't give credit to Salo - 15th to 5th. Good drive in the Sauber.

Rubhino's drive was impressive, but does he consistantly do as well in the wet? I'm not so sure I'd pick Rubens based on one race, mighty though that race win was..

I would go with Button. In the few wet races I've looked up (Indy 2003 and Interlagos-multiple years) he seemed to consistantly pull his car up past where he would have if the track were dry. Going back to that Indy race, Button (as I posted somewhere else) would have had a credible 3rd or 4th if he hadn't blown a lump. He was out driving in the wet while all others were making a rather mad dash for the pits...

This debate only highlights the need for another wet race :D

Since I have noticed Webbo is joint first, I don't seem to remember ever seeing him driver excellently in the wet? can someone provide some details of a wet race he has driven in and how well he did.

Also is Kimi really special in the wet? I must say again I have never really noticed he is better than Button in the wet!

I hope silverstone is wet!

I cant even remember the last wet race. I think it was brazil 03 and in that race Webber crashed. Therefore I have no idea who to vote for!

Also is Kimi really special in the wet? I must say again I have never really noticed he is better than Button in the wet!

I remember daring moves by Kimi on his then teammate Coulthard and Montoya on a rainy track (i think it was Malasia 2003), then a controversial win, then handing the win over to Fisichella in the Jordan after stewards inquiry. Later that year, at the American Grand Prix, second last race, he was miles ahead of any Michelin runner, the race Shumacher won. He is quite good in wet JR...

that would be Brazil...........

I dont remember any good wet races after the reintroduction of traction control.

Maybe that is why no one can think past Schumi, and Rubens.

Are we forgetting Alesi?

Maybe we should look at the survivours of the 1996 Monaco gp

Panis, Coulthard, Herbert and Frentzen

You had to be pretty good in the wet that day!

Lets have the next wet race without traction control and see how many of the drivers who started in 2001 or later spin in the race?

This is a bit of a pointless poll as we havent had rain for ages ! I actually dont rate Schumacher in the rain at all. I think Panis was good i remember and I think JV was but atm on the grid I cant really say anyone stands out because the we havent had a wet race in a while! Herbert was good aswell he won the European Gp in the wet and did well in monaco 1996.

I think back to Spain 96 or Spa 95 and believe that these were Michael's finest hours. Up until roughly 2002 i would have believed that Michael was untouchable in the rain. But the others have caught up. I think that Rubens, Kimi and Fisi in particular are Michael's equal in the rain. Perhaps this is a true measure of someone's peak performance. Based on this i would say that as a driver, Michael probably peaked in 2002. Now, he is merely very good in the wet.

I cant even remember the last wet race. I think it was brazil 03 and in that race Webber crashed. Therefore I have no idea who to vote for!

So did nearly everyone else, including the 'best', in MS.

Since I have noticed Webbo is joint first, I don't seem to remember ever seeing him driver excellently in the wet? can someone provide some details of a wet race he has driven in and how well he did.

I hope silverstone is wet!

I voted for KR, I wanted to vote for MW but like most others could'nt think of a valid reason why. MW is not a poor wet weather driver but not the best. The entire 2007 grid falls into that same sort of classification imo.

I haven't voted because none of the others from the current crop of drivers stand out in my mind. My memory of the 2003 Brazilian GP is that DC was in command of the race, but he made a pit stop just before the race was stopped. As for Webber crashing, yep he aquaplaned off at the same corner MS and a whole host of other drivers did. I certainly wouldn

I voted other because I didn't see the after Schumi part, because I was going quickly, but I would have voted Rubens for his first win at Hockenheim 2000.

I haven't voted because none of the others from the current crop of drivers stand out in my mind. My memory of the 2003 Brazilian GP is that DC was in command of the race, but he made a pit stop just before the race was stopped. As for Webber crashing, yep he aquaplaned off at the same corner MS and a whole host of other drivers did. I certainly wouldn

Quite a bit actually.

I cant remember where i posted them but there have been a lot of occasions where button has been incredible in the wet. I belive he led the 2003 US GP but his engine died when he was on course for a podium.

Spa last year he was incredible and had he had a better grid slot probably could have won. His pass on JV was pretty incredible and he set an incredible lap time on his Intermediates, which was not far off the fastest dry tyre lap!