Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecapdeville

Andretti Wants Surname Back In F1

"1978 World Champion Mario Andretti would like his famous surname to return to the F1 time sheets.

His 19-year-old grandson, Marco - whose father Michael raced alongside Ayrton Senna at McLaren in 1993 - finished second in last Sunday's Indy 500 by a margin of less than one tenth of a second behind Sam Hornish Jr.

Winner of twelve Grand Prix, Mario Andretti, told Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport: "I would like (Marco) to come to F1 with Ferrari." "

:huh: he needs to work a lot more... I think.

I do not believe that F1 would be willing to take a chance on another Andretti, however talented. Michael really put the Andretti name in the mud for most Europeans. I also count America lucky that we have one driver in F1. If it weren't for Red Bull wanting to build an American market, we wouldn't even have one American in F1.

It's in vogue to dislike Americans right now, justified or not, and trying to get one in F1 based on talent alone is damned-near impossible. Sooner drive to the moon. Marco would need to live in the UK, win the GP2 championship with a healthy lead, and make some contacts with the current F1 establishment (not Red Bull) to succeed in Mario's dream. Perhaps also lobby Jean Todt's son to be Marco's manager? :eusa_think:

How about Andretti starting (or buying) a GP2 team. Then he can be assured on a European presence for his surname and give future Andrettis the chance to race in Europe!

He can do that easily...but how much are the Andretti familiy willing this to happen?

Think they are quite comfortable in US...

He can do that easily...but how much are the Andretti familiy willing this to happen?

Think they are quite comfortable in US...

Yeah, pumpdoc or AR5 would have more insight...I don't follow the IRL/Andretti's very closely these days.

Nice to see you consider Mario Andretti an american..but, in facts, Mario was born in Italy and travelled to America when he was already 16 or even more I don't remember exactly...so...yes the Andrettis are italians!

Nice to see you consider Mario Andretti an american..but, in facts, Mario was born in Italy and travelled to America when he was already 16 or even more I don't remember exactly...so...yes the Andrettis are italians!

No, Mario is a naturalized citizen of the United States. His children are citizens by birth. Most Americans can trace their roots to different parts of the world, but are still US citizens. I have a Swedish background (grandfather emigrated to America), but I'm distinctly American.

Mario may still hold an Italian citizenship, but he's stated for as long as he's been racing that he's American. That is good enough for me.

Just because Michael made a complete arse of himself doesn't mean we should tar the whole family with the same brush. If Marco is good enough then there's no reason why he shouldn't get the same chance as anyone else (in an ideal world). But Mike is right, he must really base himself in Europe.

Just because Michael made a complete arse of himself doesn't mean we should tar the whole family with the same brush. If Marco is good enough then there's no reason why he shouldn't get the same chance as anyone else (in an ideal world). But Mike is right, he must really base himself in Europe.

And go against Europe's finest. The best competition these days is in Europe and he needs experience racing against them.

And go against Europe's finest. The best competition these days is in Europe and he needs experience racing against them.

Absolutely right. Personally, I hope he has the talent. There are too few Americans in the sport outside their own country. I suppose this is understandable, as the rewards can still be great in domestic series, but true ambition (and talent) must surely lead to the greater (world) stage.

God, that was soooooo verbose. I hope the meaning survived.

Absolutely right. Personally, I hope he has the talent. There are too few Americans in the sport outside their own country. I suppose this is understandable, as the rewards can still be great in domestic series, but true ambition (and talent) must surely lead to the greater (world) stage.

God, that was soooooo verbose. I hope the meaning survived.

It survived, though I would expect verbose from the Mekon ;)

American drivers are only good at driving in circles, although bourdais/mansell/wheldon prove over the years that they're not actually even good at that either

Ha ha! You'll be in for it when our American friends read that! :lol:

But what about Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti? I know they are figures from history but they sort of mess up your theory, Jem.

Ha ha! You'll be in for it when our American friends read that! :lol:

But what about Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti? I know they are figures from history but they sort of mess up your theory, Jem.

yea i'm only kidding anyway :naughty:

yea i'm only kidding anyway :naughty:

:nono1::nono1::nono1::nono1:

American drivers are only good at driving in circles, although bourdais/mansell/wheldon prove over the years that they're not actually even good at that either

Meh, we have better looking women, so there!

Meh, we have better looking women, so there!

:eusa_think: you have a population of about 280 million, I'm sure there are a LOT of ugly women over there

:eusa_think: you have a population of about 280 million, I'm sure there are a LOT of ugly women over there

How about the women and F1 drivers from Bristol Minor ? :lol:

How about the women and F1 drivers from Bristol Minor ? :lol:

no idea what bristol minor is but the ladies in bristol are on the whole pretty disgusting. Cardiff has a lot of sexy ladies, shame they're welsh

If Marco wants a spot in F1, he should leave the IRL as quick as he can and start racing in British F3.

If Marco wants a spot in F1, he should leave the IRL as quick as he can and start racing in British F3.

Yes definately. I'd like to see how well Bourdais would do in F1, too, and Wheldon, though we'll probably never see it.

I think Bourdais would be a big success in F1. As for Wheldon, not sure. I don't rate the IRL and have no clue of his career pre IRL.