Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sevag00

FIFA World Cup 2006

Hey, 6 days to go for the WC 2006, and lets discuss about it. Everyone tell me who are you with, and tell me which team will win the WC other than the team you encourage, for example: I am with Italy, and say that England is going to win the WC this year, they have many great midfielders like Steven Gerrard.

Hey, 6 days to go for the WC 2006, and lets discuss about it. Everyone tell me who are you with, and tell me which team will win the WC other than the team you encourage, for example: I am with Italy, and say that England is going to win the WC this year, they have many great midfielders like Steven Gerrard.

Im not at all a fooball fan but every 4 years I try.

Of course England all the way! (I hope)

And secondly Switzerland (Because I live here and my girlfriend is Swiss)

But the sooner it starts, the sooner we can get back to normal :D

But I guess Brazil mst be the favorites

I still think that Brazil will win again this time around, but England will most likely get to the finals.

I'm backing Australia, and I think they should be able to qualify from the group stage, I hope :thbup:

i could care less about the World Cup, but I would really have to try... it's all a bunch of worthless overpaid t***ers to me...

i think it is impossible for Australia, but chances and luck and cheating does something, u dont know.

The world cup really bores me - unless its the rugby one of course - and i knwo im going to get killed from Ben, Jem & the rest but id like anyone but England to win and will be supporting anyone but them too :blush: as im sure will most Scottish people :P

for those of you not familiar with the british press i blame them for my dislike ofthe British when involved in sports - were still hearing about 1966 ffs!!!

anyway ill back France cos i back them in everything (usually rugby) - in fairness when i back them they always lose so youve nothing to worry about :D

whaaat, does someone still watch rugby, if you would've said NBA i'll say ok,coz i watchit too, but rugby, go to hell. Man football is the best, and everyone is interested

whaaat, does someone still watch rugby, if you would've said NBA i'll say ok,coz i watchit too, but rugby, go to hell. Man football is the best, and everyone is interested

What country do you live in?

Lebanon, what is wrong with my country??

Obviously hoping for Australia to do well and I think they can get through to the second round. Aside from them, I'll be cheering on the Dutch. I've been a fan of their football team since France '98 and hopefully they can win their first World Cup. I think they've got a strong chance to win, but Brazil are raging favourites for obvious reasons, although Italy and Argentina could win it.

DUH - rugby is still a massively supported sport right round the world, but then again it is usually supported by intelligent and better mannered people so maybe thats why you just dont get it :angry:

and no not everyone IS interested in football but then hey if you watch it (like NBA) then it must be ok :mf_tongue:

Was thinking that since ill be living in Spain for the World Cup i should really support them but i cant forget that they put us out in the last world cup on penaltys!!!!! so ill stick to France

football is the best, and everyone is interested

obviously not everyone is interested... I already said I couldn't care less. Football wise, i'm more likely to watch a pub team than the overpaid tossers on TV. The sport would benefit from wage caps like a lot of american sports have IMO, the wages are ridiculous and make F1 drivers wages look stingy, but the players still reckon theyre not being paid enough.

I'm definately more likely to be watching the Superbowl than the World Cup, even the 'world cup of motorsport' is a load of crap from all I hear.

Going for Australia, our 1 - 1 draw with the Dutch side last night will give our boys even more confidence in the build up to the first game against Japan.

I hope England win or at least make it through to the final stages. But if I where a betting man I would say that Brazil will take out the 2006 World Cup.

no man everyone is saying Brazil, and i said it too, since it is in Germany, they will do some cheating so that Germany can reach to the finals, and maybe win, like what they did to korea against Italy in 2002, they did everything and cheating they could to make korea be 3rd in the standings, that day, i was every angry that i was gonna kill someone and instead i broke the televsion, i throw the bottle on the tv, and the tv was gone.

Australia team guide (from bbc.co.uk)

How did they get to Germany: With a truly nail-biting penalty shoot-out victory against Uruguay after their two-legged play-off ended 1-1. Sweet revenge indeed for four years ago when they went out at the same stage.

Qualifying star: Mark Schwarzer. The Middlesbrough custodian was nearly taken off before penalties, but came to the party big time with two stunning spot-kick saves.

Manager: Russian-bound Dutch coach Guus Hiddink has waved his World Cup magic wand yet again. Taking over from Frank Farina in July, he cast a spell over the Socceroos and completed what he called "almost mission impossible" when he arrived in the job.

Captain: Mark Viduka. The big Middlesbrough hitman will be grateful his missed penalty did not cost his team dearly, but his experience and finishing ability will be a major factor in Germany.

World Cup pedigree: None really. Qualified in 1974, but endured a goal-less and pretty much pointless three games.

World Cup high: Think we saw it last November.

World Cup low: Play-off defeats to Iran and Uruguay in 1997 and 2001 respectively.

World Cup legend: The title is surely up for grabs in Germany.

Present star man: Harry Kewell. The Liverpool winger showed in the second leg when he came on and tormented the Uruguayans he is one Aussie player capable of truly world-class displays.

Strengths: Plenty of flair going forward and a host of options in the middle of the park.

Weaknesses: A telling lack of pace and genuine quality at the back will be Hiddink's main concern going into a major tournament.

Did you know: Everton midfielder Tim Cahill represented Samoa in an Under-20 tournament in 1994, when he was just 14-years-old.

World ranking: 42

Odds: 80/1

Local view: "The false dawns are over. Unlike in 1974, this time Australia's expensive team of European-based exiles will travel to a World Cup more hopefully." John Huxley, Sydney Morning Herald.

Our verdict: Under the meticulously brilliant Hiddink, they may never have a better chance to gate-crash football's showpiece and spring a few surprises.

World Cup low: Play-off defeats to Iran

That was gutwrenching. To lose when 2-0 up was heartbreak.

The FIFA World Cup begins in under 4 hours. Im looking forward too it as this is the first world cup i cared enough about to watch.

You'll enjoy it mate. It's 4 weeks of football at it's finest.

The FIFA World Cup begins in under 4 hours. Im looking forward too it as this is the first world cup i cared enough about to watch.

oo how did u get 4 hours... based on the big paper countdown in my office we are 6 hours and 45 mins away from kick off...

btw i think the best the aussies could do is 2nd round.... england i think has a good chance and for their sake i hope they dun end up 2nd in their group as tht will prob pit them against the germans in the 2nd round....

well since my country ( prob one of the few football crazy countries tht might nevr take part at the WC) is not in the WC.. im rooting for Italy (coz i have a RM 1K bet tht they'll win the cup)

oo how did u get 4 hours... based on the big paper countdown in my office we are 6 hours and 45 mins away from kick off...

I got it from the time the telecast starts for the opening ceremony.

DUH - rugby is still a massively supported sport right round the world, but then again it is usually supported by intelligent and better mannered people so maybe thats why you just dont get it :angry:

and no not everyone IS interested in football but then hey if you watch it (like NBA) then it must be ok :mf_tongue:

Was thinking that since ill be living in Spain for the World Cup i should really support them but i cant forget that they put us out in the last world cup on penaltys!!!!! so ill stick to France

true rugby is still supported around the world but when the rugby world cup is going on...ppl who cant care less bout rugby will not know anything about it.... but soccer's world cup even those who cant care less about it will definitely know its going on or its going to start or its over..... well thts the magic of the most widely watched sport in the world ...

:lol: got the england flag flying from our house (and Ukraines as my step dad loves Ukraine) and I have flags on my car :P

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE KIDDING JURGEN KLINSMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: got the england flag flying from our house (and Ukraines as my step dad loves Ukraine) and I have flags on my car :P

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE KIDDING JURGEN KLINSMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i thought only germans do not like him ^_^ ....

:lol: Nah.

Im gutted though, In london i have heard they are selling war helmets with the england flag on to take the p**s out of the germans, I want one! :(