Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecapdeville

JB: 'I Was Born To Race'

JB: 'I was born to race'

Just a day after saying he cannot win the upcoming Briish GP Jenson Button has revealed that he believes he is better than Michael Schumacher and would not be able to live with himself should he not become World Champion one day.

Button has started over 100 GP's in his career and is yet to register his first win. This though doesn't seem to have affected the young Brit's confidence.

During the off-season Button worked tirelessly on the car and says all the hard work is done to help him achieve his life long goal of becoming World Champion.

"I'd be devastated if I didn't win the championship because it's what I've always wanted to achieve," he said to the Sunday People.

"I work so hard - harder than people realise."

While Button has undoubted driving potential people have doubted whether he has the ability to be a Formula One World Champion. The ultimate prize in Motorsport currently looks well out of his grasp but despite that JB remains determined.

With Honda Button believes he has an equally committed partner which will not be satisfied until they are Champions.

"If I don't win the world championship in the future I won't be able to live with myself, probably. But Honda won't leave F1 until they win the championship."

"The most important thing in my life is racing in F1 and challenging the world's best drivers."

"I think that's what I've been put on this earth to do and it's something I'm good at."

Button admits that it has been too long without a race win but believes he has yet to pilot a car capable of winning a race, but when he does, he is sure he will break the dreadful deadlock.

"I'm not satisfied because I'm disappointed to have spent so long not winning races. I've been asked the question so many times about not winning in 100 races"

"But nobody would have won a race in the cars that I had in those 100 races. I'm 100 per cent sure of that."

The Honda driver is so confident in his ability that he believes he will go on to prove to be better that the three leading F1 driver of today, Schumacher, Alonso and Raikkonen.

Despite the fact that the list included the current F1 World Champion and a seven-time World Champion Button says his belief and ability makes him as good as them both.

"The Michael Schumachers of this world, Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen - personally I think I can do a better job than all of them.

"Some of that is because of the confidence I have inside. Maybe being big-headed means that if I'm in the best car on the grid, I'll win because I have the confidence to achieve that."

:huh:

What will happen after he wakes up? :blink:

:D

What's wrong? Read his last sentence perhaps?

He needs to have the confidence else he'd loose all motivation stuck in a non winning race car.

He needs to have the confidence else he'd loose all motivation stuck in a non winning race car.

Confidence is not enough Kay... :eusa_think:

How many races did Irvine win in that dog of a Ferrari in 1996?

Surley that was not a race winning car without Scumi?

Maybe he didnt have enough self belief.

Not an Irvine trait.

i agree a driver needs confidence & self belief but i think to say that you are better than FA, KR & most of all MS, without having anything to back you up is just kidding yourself :blink:

What will happen after he wakes up? :blink:

:clap3::roll:

Confidence is not enough Kay... :eusa_think:

So?

Without confidence he'd be shattered into pieces right now.

He can't get through a single interview without being reminded that he hasn't won, and while I don't like his attitude, I accept he has to have it to avoid just packing up and leaving.

You're in a job and you feel you don't have the means to fufill your potential quite yet, however things are slowly coming together, but everyone around you is telling you you're not good enough for the job, you aren't delivering, every day you hear the same thing. If you don't believe in yourself you'd simply move job or stick at it and face massive pressures that you couldn't handle.

If Button walked away from Honda, he'd be called a quitter and no good, oh wait he is already. Seems Button can't win no matter what he says.

Even if that is the way he feels, he should keep it to himself. It all sounds a bit ridiculous, coming from himself, even more than when de Ferran says it.

He is asking for it really, he can't complain about people making fun of him if he doesn't win a race soon, he is building up the false hype himself.

Even if that is the way he feels, he should keep it to himself. It all sounds a bit ridiculous, coming from himself, even more than when de Ferran says it.

He is asking for it really, he can't complain about people making fun of him if he doesn't win a race soon, he is building up the false hype himself.

Then tell the media to stop asking him questions.

He can't get through a single interview without being reminded that he hasn't won

Correct me if I am wrong but he has said something very similar before, and Honda people definitely have. Well then he deserves those questions.

Correct me if I am wrong but he has said something very similar before, and Honda people definitely have. Well then he deserves those questions.

Only in response to you haven't won yet.

As for Honda, he can't control what they say, but hey I'm starting to understand people who don't like Button. Whatever he says or does they'll discredit him. When he wins, they still will, when he says I'm not so good, they still will.

I never have agreed with his attitude, like I said, I don't agree with a lot he says off the track, but I accept it is the way he has to go about things to deal with the situation he finds himself in.

Then tell the media to stop asking him questions.

Nop it doesn't work that way. He is not the only one who gets asked questions, but some drivers just build it all up. Fisi does it to a certain extent, every season and severy race - he makes some wildly optimistic remark before every race.

Nop it doesn't work that way. He is not the only one who gets asked questions, but some drivers just build it all up. Fisi does it to a certain extent, every season and severy race - he makes some wildly optimistic remark before every race.

Huh? Button has come out and said he won't win Silverstone already, so no Button isn't on some kind of "high".

I'm surprised some of you have reacted the way you have and not realised the implications of what he's saying. A straight on fight with these guys, he goes up to overtake them, Button has previously said "he's better than me" who has the psychological advantage in that situation? Button's already downgraded himself and in the process upgraded the person he wants to overtake. If he believes he is better then he's not putting himself at a disadvantage in that situation and in the future may aid him.

Button can easily back himself up in his head, he just needs to look at 2004.

He's at a time right now, where he can fall down and become a nobody or step up and try to be a somebody in F1. He has Honda's complete backing behind him, they've paid millions for him, he hardly can afford to devalue himself after they've gone to all that trouble. Especially as he would risk Honda deciding to give Rubens the no 1 status. Then he would be doomed.

Think about the events and reasoning behind comments and you can usually find out why something is said, I don't agree with him, but doesn't mean I don't understand where he is coming from and just because someone does not rate him highly doesn't mean they can't understand him either. You need to think outside of your own box and perception sometimes and also account for the bits we don't know. For example, the current discussions between Button and Honda after Monaco.

If he believes he is better then he's not putting himself at a disadvantage in that situation and in the future may aid him.

He is welcome to believe waht he believes, but going public with it just invites ridicule, when you have nothing to back it up with. So he thinks he is the best driver on the grid and he thinks he is with a great team, won't the average joe want to know why he hasn't won a race yet?

He is welcome to believe waht he believes, but going public with it just invites ridicule, when you have nothing to back it up with. So he thinks he is the best driver on the grid and he thinks he is with a great team, won't the average joe want to know why he hasn't won a race yet?

Going public shows he does believe himself and he's already answered that question a million times, so the average joe should know by now unless they're deaf. He's saying to all that will read it, that he's not a beaten man and despite his poor Monaco performance they haven't seen the last of him.

I've already said he has 2004 to back himself up with if he wants too.

Whatever he says or does they'll discredit him. When he wins, they still will, when he says I'm not so good, they still will.

welcome to the world of the schumacher fan

The things he says may sound a bit weird to the average person but in fact is all about what a racer and racing is all about!A true racer always believes he is better than everybody else!Maybe he could have kept these opinions to himself though!But if you dont think you are the best, maybe you should start looking for another sport(if there is any where you compete even though you admit the others are better :blink: )!!

So?

Without confidence he'd be shattered into pieces right now.

He can't get through a single interview without being reminded that he hasn't won, and while I don't like his attitude, I accept he has to have it to avoid just packing up and leaving.

You're in a job and you feel you don't have the means to fufill your potential quite yet, however things are slowly coming together, but everyone around you is telling you you're not good enough for the job, you aren't delivering, every day you hear the same thing. If you don't believe in yourself you'd simply move job or stick at it and face massive pressures that you couldn't handle.

If Button walked away from Honda, he'd be called a quitter and no good, oh wait he is already. Seems Button can't win no matter what he says.

Indeed Kay.

Also ne must not forget, JB ismprobably the hardest working driver out of the lot, did most testing miles of ANYONE, goes to every test, goes to HQ as often as possible, constantly training. I also believe he is closer than ever to the top 3 and yes he may look ridiculous saying that but EVERY FOMULA 1 DRIVER BELIEVES THEY ARE THE BEST. So whats new? He has never had a race winning car since none of his teamates have won in that very same car.

Ecap just because Alonso is a complete d#ckhead and I hate him now, doesnt mean you have jo join the anti button ****s and start taking the p**s put of him.

Ecap just because Alonso is a complete d#ckhead and I hate him now, doesnt mean you have jo join the anti button ****s and start taking the p**s put of him.

Since you joined the Anti Alonso ****s...I maybe started to hate your driver...

:naughty:

Yeah I'm sure any decent driver thinks he or she is, or at least could become, the best in the world. If they didn't believe that why would they bother? We don't have to agree but they do have to believe it.

Indeed Kay.

Also ne must not forget, JB ismprobably the hardest working driver out of the lot, did most testing miles of ANYONE, goes to every test, goes to HQ as often as possible, constantly training. I also believe he is closer than ever to the top 3 and yes he may look ridiculous saying that but EVERY FOMULA 1 DRIVER BELIEVES THEY ARE THE BEST. So whats new? He has never had a race winning car since none of his teamates have won in that very same car.

there is a differance in quality vs quantity, i could have a chimp sit in an f1 car for a year strait or could have MS drive it for a day, and i highly doubt that the feedback from the chimp is going to make any differance in comparison to what MS gives as feed back

(yes i just called button a chimp)

He thinks he's the best in the world - he's a racing driver for ****s sake what do u expect him to say. All those drivers probably think they're the best, otherwise they wouldnt bother racing

It would probely be best if Jenson didnt talk to the media anymore. Button should focus on his racing instead of telling people how good he is.