Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mock

JPM

I would not like to see JPM leave Formula 1. He's obviously trying to get the McLaren to adjust to his driving style, but it isn't working. This doesn't mean he's lost the ability to race well. It means perhaps he needs a new car...

...I would love to see him at Renault. That car would suit his style nicely.

I would not like to see JPM leave Formula 1. He's obviously trying to get the McLaren to adjust to his driving style, but it isn't working. This doesn't mean he's lost the ability to race well. It means perhaps he needs a new car...

just curious!

why do you think renault would suit jpm better if he lands there next year? :unsure:

Yeah Puma why do you think the Renault would suit JPM driving style?

most other drivers would do a lot worse as a team-mate to raikkonen at mclaren

I woulnt go that far. I found these statistics

Coulthard scored 116 points with Raikkonen scoring 160. That means DC scored 72.5% of what KR scored.

Compare this too

Montoya who has scored 86 points with Raikkonen scoring 145 points. That means JPM scored 59.3% of what KR has scored.

I woulnt go that far. I found these statistics

Coulthard scored 116 points with Raikkonen scoring 160. That means DC scored 72.5% of what KR scored.

Compare this too

Montoya who has scored 86 points with Raikkonen scoring 145 points. That means JPM scored 59.3% of what KR has scored.

Lovely stats as always ykick but most of us would agree that JPM is more of a challenger to raikkonen than DC was in 03 and 04

I can answer that, because any good driver, including Montoya, will enjoy the same successes as Alonso because it's mostly down to the good package Renault's got. AutumnPa just won't admit that... :naughty:

Lovely stats as always ykick but most of us would agree that JPM is more of a challenger to raikkonen than DC was in 03 and 04

Yes. DC was much more consistent but probably doesn't have the same natural talent. Thus on his day JPM threatened Kimi, whereas no one really thinks DC has the raw speed to do that very often. JPM's problem is that he can't do it on a regular basis either.

I would be surprised if JPM left F1, and quite sad. He doesn't deserve a top seat but I'd give him a shot in the 2nd half of the grid and see how he does.

JPM drives like Alonso, but with a smoother turn-in.

[quote name='Murray Walker' post='125388' date='Jun 28 2006, 06:03 AM']Yes. DC was much more consistent but probably doesn't have the same natural talent. Thus on his day JPM threatened Kimi, whereas no one really thinks DC has the raw speed to do that very often. JPM's problem is that he can't do it on a regular basis either.

I would be surprised if JPM left F1, and quite sad. He doesn't deserve a top seat but I'd give him a shot in the 2nd half of the grid and see how he does.[/quote]

F1 is not very forgiving, there are too many talented drivers and too few top cars each year. I think Montoya has squandered all his chances. He has had rides with two top teams Williams and Mclarens, both of them when the cars were very competetive (not the best, but still competetive), Montoya couldn't grab these opportunities to make his mark. His performances have been average....I don't see him get another top ride in F1. Mid of the pack seems to be his destiny...

He reminds me of Frentzen. He was Schumi's nightmare in the junior classes, but when they got to F1, Schumacher made the most of his chances, and Frenzten faded away. You have to be mentally strong to succeed in F1. Montoya like Frenzten and many other talented drivers before him, are not mentally strong enough to make it....

F1 is not very forgiving, there are too many talented drivers and too few top cars each year. I think Montoya has squandered all his chances. He has had rides with two top teams Williams and Mclarens, both of them when the cars were very competetive (not the best, but still competetive), Montoya couldn't grab these opportunities to make his mark. His performances have been average....I don't see him get another top ride in F1. Mid of the pack seems to be his destiny...

He reminds me of Frentzen. He was Schumi's nightmare in the junior classes, but when they got to F1, Schumacher made the most of his chances, and Frenzten faded away. You have to be mentally strong to succeed in F1. Montoya like Frenzten and many other talented drivers before him, are not mentally strong enough to make it....

I disagree. I've followed JPM since his CART days and I've observed a very tough personality, both on, and off, the track (to the point of being a b@stard at times). He is mentally tough enough. As for his Williams days, I think you paint too bleak a picture. He won a fair bit of races at Williams and even was in a position to fight for the WDC at one point. On more than one occasion he even muscled past M$. He's a master at overtaking and will often overtake in 'impossible' places.

Montoya likes a pointy car he can be aggressive with. The McLaren favors a smooth, Jenson-like driver. It's not a happy marriage. The Renault can be safely muscled about.

I disagree. I've followed JPM since his CART days and I've observed a very tough personality, both on, and off, the track (to the point of being a b@stard at times). He is mentally tough enough. As for his Williams days, I think you paint too bleak a picture. He won a fair bit of races at Williams and even was in a position to fight for the WDC at one point. On more than one occasion he even muscled past M$. He's a master at overtaking and will often overtake in 'impossible' places.

Montoya likes a pointy car he can be aggressive with. The McLaren favors a smooth, Jenson-like driver. It's not a happy marriage. The Renault can be safely muscled about.

No I agree with you, in his early years, he was impressive, from CART to F1. But once he was no longer a rookie in F1, people expected him to perform more maturely, and its exactly where he is failing. No matter what the characteristics of the car, he has made at least three driver errors this year (2 spin outs one wall banging) from strong positions. Few people at his level make such mistakes and when I say his level I am counting the likes of Kimi, Alonso, Button, Schumi, the so called super stars of the sport. If montoya settles as a middle of the pack driver than perhaps myself and others wouldn't be as critical....

No I agree with you, in his early years, he was impressive, from CART to F1. But once he was no longer a rookie in F1, people expected him to perform more maturely, and its exactly where he is failing. No matter what the characteristics of the car, he has made at least three driver errors this year (2 spin outs one wall banging) from strong positions. Few people at his level make such mistakes and when I say his level I am counting the likes of Kimi, Alonso, Button, Schumi, the so called super stars of the sport. If montoya settles as a middle of the pack driver than perhaps myself and others wouldn't be as critical....

Good points. My gut says that JPM still has that charger's spirit....of course it could be my lunch not agreeing with me...