Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Understeer And Oversteer (brundle Explains)

This is a video which was posted on the speedtv forum so im posting it here. It is a very informative video on the effects of understeer and oversteer on a modern day formula 1 car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Mc-EnPDDk

Im very supprised that Red Bull let Martin Brundle drive David Coulthard's F1 car since those cars are really expensive and most teams wouldnt let him near the c#ckpit.

Why not, he's an ex F1 driver. Hell Ron Dennis let Murray Walker drive a Mclaren.

True, and i suppose it also was helped by the fact that Brundle is Coulthard's manager.

Yes. His success in other forms of motorsport confirms that. Unfortunately he managed the trick of being in the right team at the wrong time. More than once.

Yes. His success in other forms of motorsport confirms that. Unfortunately he managed the trick of being in the right team at the wrong time. More than once.

Indeed. I was impressed by how he handled the current car in that video, in the rain. I found that far more enjoyable than the commentary.

i thought that hes real oversteer driver, and its looks like he cant handle understeer (even with a underseer car he's not confident and cant drive understeer.

This is how he used to deal with understeer.

brundle.jpg

Unfortunately it involves breaking your ankles.

Okay! A question to anyone who can answer me. As Brundle explained that, for oversteer you need to reduce the rear wing angle, so does it mean it increases the top speed of the car? What kind of set up will a driver use in his car if he were to drive for US GP?

Okay! A question to anyone who can answer me. As Brundle explained that, for oversteer you need to reduce the rear wing angle, so does it mean it increases the top speed of the car?

Yes.

What kind of set up will a driver use in his car if he were to drive for US GP?

I've always heard it was a compromise setting. I don't know exactly what each team does. Villeneuve would set his car up for speed, then trust his abilities to handle the twisties.

Villeneuve would set his car up for speed, then trust his abilities to handle the twisties*.

*TRANSLATION: would bump against the walls/other cars/anything solid in the hopes that his car would bounce back on track. Ralf uses that same theory, with much worse results.

*TRANSLATION: would bump against the walls/other cars/anything solid in the hopes that his car would bounce back on track. Ralf uses that same theory, with much worse results.

Well, Ralfie uses this technique on the hard concrete walls of the banking, going a##-first, and that's less-effective........

Well, Ralfie uses this technique on the hard concrete walls of the banking, going a##-first, and that's less-effective........

...and JV still got some things from his father namely, some brilliant displays when he could remain focused on the race (I always thought that lack of concentration in the long-term was the core of all of JVs problems on track) while Ralf's only thing he got from his brother was that "cat that ate the mouse" smile.

...and JV still got some things from his father namely, some brilliant displays when he could remain focused on the race (I always thought that lack of concentration in the long-term was the core of all of JVs problems on track) while Ralf's only thing he got from his brother was that "cat that ate the mouse" smile.

JV got his bad eyesight from his father. I worship Gilles but I must say, some of his crashes (including his fatal one at Zolder) seemed like he misjudged distances a bit. Could this be his eyesight going? I don't know. JV certainly has issues with eyesight, and so does Ralfie (both wear contact lenses). I'm not an optometrist, but I wonder about driver's who wear contacts....are the contacts there to correct the eye's cornea being misshaped/ If so, has anyone done testing on how the cornea alters shape under the g-force acceleration and cornering of F1? These are things I don't know and could explain why JV and Ralfie have gotten to be worse drivers as the years go by. Perhaps the cornea (or the eye itself) isn't as flexible as it was when they were younger....perhaps under g-force loads the cornea (ro the whole eye) distorts a bit and makes the contact lenses less effective?

EDIT: My wife, who wears contacts, relates that her contacts sometimes slip a bit during roller-coaster rides and I wonder if that also might be happening to Ralfie and JV.

JV got his bad eyesight from his father. I worship Gilles but I must say, some of his crashes (including his fatal one at Zolder) seemed like he misjudged distances a bit. Could this be his eyesight going? I don't know. JV certainly has issues with eyesight, and so does Ralfie (both wear contact lenses). I'm not an optometrist, but I wonder about driver's who wear contacts....are the contacts there to correct the eye's cornea being misshaped/ If so, has anyone done testing on how the cornea alters shape under the g-force acceleration and cornering of F1? These are things I don't know and could explain why JV and Ralfie have gotten to be worse drivers as the years go by. Perhaps the cornea isn't as flexible as it was when they were younger....perhaps under g-force loads the cornea distorts a bit and makes the contact lenses less effective?

Interesting theory. Yet, I happen to work for an American laboratory specialized in eye-care products so I've been to a fair share of conferences and training courses on vision related problems. No, I am no expert for I work in the imports/exports department so my knowledge is very very limited. Yet, from what I could see on the eye it is a lot tougher organ than it might seem at first glance (no pun intended). The eye can handle serious injuries and great deals of pressure without any significant effects during normal surgery so I doubt G-forces have much impact on eyesight Here is where Bruce with his knowledge of combat pilots subject to severe G-forces during carrier launches might be of help! That does not mean that severe stress cannot have an impact on eyesight. All in all, you gave me something very interesting to consider. I will ask around at work and see what I can find out.

Interesting theory. Yet, I happen to work for an American laboratory specialized in eye-care products so I've been to a fair share of conferences and training courses on vision related problems. No, I am no expert for I work in the imports/exports department so my knowledge is very very limited. Yet, from what I could see on the eye it is a lot tougher organ than it might seem at first glance (no pun intended). The eye can handle serious injuries and great deals of pressure without any significant effects during normal surgery so I doubt G-forces have much impact on eyesight Here is where Bruce with his knowledge of combat pilots subject to severe G-forces during carrier launches might be of help! That does not mean that severe stress cannot have an impact on eyesight. All in all, you gave me something very interesting to consider. I will ask around at work and see what I can find out.

I'm not an expert either. If you ask around, be sure to add this important point: the drivers are dealing with two hours of sustained g-forces that alter between directions (acceleration and cornering). I feel it's that sustained force that is the issue....

Didn't Paul Tracy wear his glasses to race?

Yes he does, I think Sebastien Bourdais does too

In that case I wonder if contacts are more of a vanity thing. Or is it a misting issue?

In that case I wonder if contacts are more of a vanity thing. Or is it a misting issue?

Interesting point.