Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tifosi too!

The Best Cars

The best cars  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the best cars are made?

• Europe
    • America
    • Asia(Japan mostly)
    • Somewhere else(where?)

True. I should clarify...my post was concerning any front-wheel drive car executing a classic 4-wheel drift. As Yoda says, you would need extensive changes to the car to compete in the extreme drifting that has become a sport these days (quite different from classic drifting).

guys! thanks a looot! i did try it out in dirt....guess ive screwed up cluth now! :D ....need to get it changed....tyres are showing unenven wears.... :naughty: i am planing to buy a used octavia RS...guess il modify it a bit, cos i am planing to abroad for my higher studies so i think its not worth investing a fortune (for now!)...but one of my friends who owns the new 5-series(lucky b#####d) has got this drift madness in hims adviced me to go for a rear wheel driver car! :( but! there are virtually no powerful rear wheel drive cars in india(except, merc, bmw,audi etc etc) in my budget...i was adviced to go for a contessa(based on vaxuall victor) but its got just 75 bhp!!!!! hmm...guess i need to put my drifting dreams to an end for time being, and adjust with what i have....leme start earning some money! :naughty:

Put a big enough stabilizer bar (sway bar, anti-roll bar, whatever you want to call it) on the rear wheels, and you can make any front-driver tail-happy. (Assuming it's not so stiff that it breaks the front bar, but that's another issue. :blink: )

From the standpoint of the "sport of drifting" however, I don't think that would be enough. I don't know enough about drifting to comment definitively, but I think the point is controlled powerslides, with drive wheels smoking. Certainly, a properly set up front driver could drift in the classic sense, but I don't think that it could be competitive in "Drifting."

....hey..thanks man! i just want that classic drift...but i now heard its impossible in a front wheel drive car! :( ...actually i thought there could be some technique to do it....i just love the way the topgear drivers drift the cars!!! fantastic.....i hope there could be some drift in f1 too! :clap3::naughty:

Yeah, you can do it. I've done it with my Honda Civic...it all depends on speed and angle. Turn sharp enough to break your fronts loose, and momentum will swing the rear around..it's a matter of countersteering from there :D

how powerful is ur civic? :eusa_think:

how powerful is ur civic? :eusa_think:

It's not a question of power, but of angle. Doing a drift in a front-wheel car can be done, but it's not the fastest way around a bend like it would be with a rear-wheel car (it's fun, though). The only real important thing is that you get your a$$ swung around the apex quickly while keeping the front in line with it.

EDIT: There's alot of definitions for 'drifting' but the whole point of a 4 wheel drift is to get round a bend quickly. Drifting is essentially breaking your car's adhesion to the road by turning sharply into an early apex. The sharp turn gets your back to swing around to the proper direction for the turn's exit and your car 'drifts' slightly sideways through the apex, setting yourself up for the exit. Being able to keep your throttle down gives you more control and speed, but is not needed to just 'drift'. All drifting is essentially controlled sliding.

You can also use the emergency brake to cause a loss of traction, but I've never tried that...

You can also use the emergency brake to cause a loss of traction, but I've never tried that...

When I was about 10 years old, my Dad did try that. And went backwards through the neighbour's fence............

When I was about 10 years old, my Dad did try that. And went backwards through the neighbour's fence............

I tried it only to see what happens because i actually feel sorry for the car!!Nothing challenging though!If you don't know what to expect you could be suprised though!!

Thought id bring this topic back to life.

This is the high performance GM Holden range in Australia

HSV's Super-Sedans Break 5.0sec Barrier

HSV's fastest, most powerful range yet can accelerate from 0-100km/h in less than five seconds.

HSV

Considering its price its a very good car, but styling and stigma, shiit, I would not touch it. The car looks like a bogans wet dream. So ugly it should be banned from the road as it may distract other drivers and cause collisions.

And what is up with those Super-Gulp cup holders? Seriously, is that the best Australian engineers and designers could come up with?

Considering its price its a very good car, but styling and stigma, shiit, I would not touch it. The car looks like a bogans wet dream. So ugly it should be banned from the road as it may distract other drivers and cause collisions.

And what is up with those Super-Gulp cup holders? Seriously, is that the best Australian engineers and designers could come up with?

So you don't like the new VE HSV then Ctrl300??

It compares quite well against the other European / Japanese brands in terms of performance but is lacking in overall build quality. But in saying that, there is no way that I would pay another $40 grand for better build quality in a European built car, and getting the same performance figures.

I'm interested to hear what other members thoughts are on the new VE HSV series.

Well we all know that cars from different countries carry different philosophies and of course different qualities!Which part of the world gets your vote?Personally i drive a European car but i can't help but notice the extreme reliabilty and high quality of the Japanese cars :eusa_think: !What do you think? B)

I must say it's the eurpeans who makes the best cars.

Beside European car the only non european car that owned was Honda and was also ok. :D

It compares quite well against the other European / Japanese brands in terms of performance but is lacking in overall build quality. But in saying that, there is no way that I would pay another $40 grand for better build quality in a European built car, and getting the same performance figures.

I'm interested to hear what other members thoughts are on the new VE HSV series.

looks like its straigt out from need4speed garage!! i liked its looks in pictures, it looks like a proper street racing car! :thbup::thbup::thbup:

Thought id bring this topic back to life.

This is the high performance GM Holden range in Australia

HSV's Super-Sedans Break 5.0sec Barrier

HSV's fastest, most powerful range yet can accelerate from 0-100km/h in less than five seconds.

HSV

As I said, the performance is very good compared to its price, such a shame it looks like crap. Also, it does not hold it value nearly as good as its European contemporaries. Reason for this is that its shiit quality and that they put out new models as often as pumpdoc changes underwear, in other words every 12 months :lol:

Well i 'll give it :thbup::thbup: .I like it!All that torgue must be incredibly fun to drive!And it looks great!A king of the road for sure :king::lol:

Fun to drive, but totally going against the Kyoto Protocol. 6 liter engine? What is that? The car might be cheap but at the pump it will be a nightmare.

As I said, the performance is very good compared to its price, such a shame it looks like crap. Also, it does not hold it value nearly as good as its European contemporaries. Reason for this is that its shiit quality and that they put out new models as often as pumpdoc changes underwear, in other words every 12 months :lol:

Fun to drive, but totally going against the Kyoto Protocol. 6 liter engine? What is that? The car might be cheap but at the pump it will be a nightmare.

no question about that!!Even our humble cars give us nightmares at the gas station lately!!

I maybe inheriting some money soonish (within next 2 years by looks o things) and it will be a substantial amount. The majority im going to keep for future (flat deposit/pay off student debts etc) but im going to aloow myself a maximum of

Reason for this is that its shiit quality and that they put out new models as often as pumpdoc changes underwear, in other words every 12 months :lol:

Sorry but I go 'comando'

..........and yeah it's nothing more than an Aussi Pontiac and waaaaaaaay overpriced.....

..........and yeah it's nothing more than an Aussi Pontiac and waaaaaaaay overpriced.....

Did you even look at the specs. Its a very cheap car for what they are offering.

I like the most expensive version of that car. But its a little too chavvy for my liking. Nice to see a foreign car with the steering wheel on proper side!

I like the most expensive version of that car. But its a little too chavvy for my liking. Nice to see a foreign car with the steering wheel on proper side!

Also according to Top Gear the Holden's have the American power and speed but unlike the American cars the Holdens have great handling.

Sounds about right. American cars are Sh#t to drive on forza motorsport lol. The chevrolets are ablte cack they just spin at highspeed all the ****ing time. The porches suck too. The jap cars seem to handle well on it thou :)

The word you are looking for is not chav but bogan. And yeah, its a bloody Vauxhall buildt in Australia :thbdn:

Hey pump you might be riht. I remember reading somewhere that GM had released the Monaro as a Pontiac in the states. Have they done the same with the HSV as well?

The word you are looking for is not chav but bogan. And yeah, its a bloody Vauxhall buildt in Australia :thbdn:

Hey pump you might be riht. I remember reading somewhere that GM had released the Monaro as a Pontiac in the states. Have they done the same with the HSV as well?

looks like a GTO..............

It is a GTO!!!!!!!!!

Ok, GM is losing that much money that they no longer can afford to deign cars for certain markets/regions. Oh well, looks like gasoline slurping monsters are the next big thing around the world then? Hold on, thats right, American cars only sell in....America.

The Monaro was round in Australia first. I know dam well cos a friend was one of the engineers at holden that worked on modifying it to suit the American Design rules ( things like fuel tank between axles instead of under floor in boot ) Probably about 18 mnths later it appeared as the GTO.

I wouldn't give up My STi for one :)