Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tifosi too!

The Best Cars

The best cars  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the best cars are made?

• Europe
    • America
    • Asia(Japan mostly)
    • Somewhere else(where?)

Among those who regualry go to the track, the sports car manufacturer of choice is Porsche. Most of the automag kids who've never been to the track and instead rely on auto journalists (who are generally biased by marketing and PR) and paper performance specs will contend that one tuner car or another is the best bet but my experience is that they are built for bragging and short bursts of straightline performance - this isn't what a sports car is about. Aside from their lack of well-roundedness, for lack of a better term, tuner cars also suffer horrendous reliability. Every track day I see a couple kitted-out Japanese cars pulling off the track before lunch...

Aside from the expensive Porsche, a few other good, affordable, stock track cars are the Chrysler Crossfire hardtop, Honda S2000 and any 'vette from about 2003 onwards. The 'vette is a bit spin-happy coming out of slow corners, but otherwise a great track car for the money.

Among those who regualry go to the track, the sports car manufacturer of choice is Porsche. Most of the automag kids who've never been to the track and instead rely on auto journalists (who are generally biased by marketing and PR) and paper performance specs will contend that one tuner car or another is the best bet but my experience is that they are built for bragging and short bursts of straightline performance - this isn't what a sports car is about. Aside from their lack of well-roundedness, for lack of a better term, tuner cars also suffer horrendous reliability. Every track day I see a couple kitted-out Japanese cars pulling off the track before lunch...

You mean ricers with fart cans :mf_tongue:

Aside from the expensive Porsche, a few other good, affordable, stock track cars are the Chrysler Crossfire hardtop, Honda S2000 and any 'vette from about 2003 onwards. The 'vette is a bit spin-happy coming out of slow corners, but otherwise a great track car for the money.

Sssssssssssss :furious:

I would invite you to look underneath a Porsche and compare what you see to the equivalent on an American or Japanese "sports car" before you categorize the German product as expensive. Better yet, look at the historical results of the GT1 class at Le Mans. In fact, look at the GT1 class, or equivalenet, in any racing series. Notice that nearly every car in this class is a Porsche? That's not a coincidence.

You mean ricers with fart cans :mf_tongue:

Yup. Most of these twerps don't even bring a car that can survive a standing quater mile let alone 20 minutes of hard racing.

What is car heaven?

A car designed by germans, styled by italians (Giugiaro) built by japanese and marketed by americans.

What is car hell?

A car designed by americans, styled by germans (remember those 10 years ago MB that looked like brick with wheels), built by italians (mainly FIAT) and marketed by japanese (from scooters and cheap radios and TV sets to luxury car to trucks, planes and ships - all with the same name!!!)

Here goes a good example

Sssssssssssss :furious:

I would invite you to look underneath a Porsche and compare what you see to the equivalent on an American or Japanese "sports car" before you categorize the German product as expensive. Better yet, look at the historical results of the GT1 class at Le Mans. In fact, look at the GT1 class, or equivalenet, in any racing series. Notice that nearly every car in this class is a Porsche? That's not a coincidence.

That wasn't what I meant with that statement! A Porsche is a far better sports car than any of the three I listed, and I would think that to be obvious!

My intent was to provide a few solid track cars that still gave a good deal of on-track performance, but without the hefty pricetag of a Porsche. By all means, if you can afford the Porsche, get one. :D

That wasn't what I meant with that statement! A Porsche is a far better sports car than any of the three I listed, and I would think that to be obvious!

My intent was to provide a few solid track cars that still gave a good deal of on-track performance, but without the hefty pricetag of a Porsche. By all means, if you can afford the Porsche, get one. :D

Sorry, a bit sensitive on that subject. There are too many who simply look at paper performance measures to determine value and I suspose my response was directed more at them than at you, even though I did quote your post before my response.

Anyway, for value, my money would go into a Mustang. Yeah, that's right, I said a Mustang. I know they start off pretty crappy but if you strip them down to the bones and then stiffen them up and add a good set of DOT slicks, well, you got a pretty good track car and you probably haven't spent much more than $15,000. If you're on a budget, buy the most popular machinery around - racers gospel.

I thought i would bring up this old topic with a review from a UK website on a Australian car which will be going to England in April 2007.

HoldenCommodore_SSV_1_560px.jpg

Strewth cobber, that

Americans should also find the Holden VE Commodore interesting as it was built by Australian engineers using the first Zeta platform. The same Holden engineers who designed the new Commodore are now desining the new Chevrolet Camaro which will also be using the Australian Zeta platform and will be built in Canada. From the photo's ive seen the Chevrolet Camaro is a extremely ugly car (from my perspective) but since it is using the Zeta design it should be a good car.

chevrolet-camaro-concept-2006-712141.jpg

According to reports the concept car will be on Australian roads being tested by Christmas.

thats an odd-looking car. i feel sorry for americans cos most of their cars are automatic. Takes the fun out of driving. Is it the same in Oz?

thats an odd-looking car. i feel sorry for americans cos most of their cars are automatic. Takes the fun out of driving. Is it the same in Oz?

Most new cars in Australia have the option of a manual transmission and there are plenty of manual transmissioned cars on the used car market.

Europe. Design,engineering,safety,reliability,aesthetics you name it ,Europe beats everyone else hands down.

But when you take into account the fact that cars built in Europe are so expensive it kind of evens out with the Japanese and other countries.

Since ykmc evaded the question, yes. ;)

Since ykmc evaded the question, yes. ;)

What are you talking about. 2 out of the 3 cars on my property are manuals and majority of my friends at school drive manuals as well. While automatics are becoming more common it is still very easy to find a manual.

[quote name='ykickamoocow' post='160593' date='Dec 8 2006, 11:10 PM']I thought i would bring up this old topic with a review from a UK website on a Australian car which will be going to England in April 2007.[/quote]

Someone needs their head checked if they think that is a good looking car, maybe the ubiquitousness(sp?) of the car in Australia colours my opinion, but there is nothing there that is the least bit attractive. Spoilers are a strict no no for any decently styled car, except perhaps for road versions of race cars.

There is one thing though, I guess it is because of the tax regime, but Australian made cars are darn cheap. Crazily cheap. That and misguided patriotism is why they sell a lot. They do keep improving of course, but they aren't there yet, not by a long way.

What are you talking about. 2 out of the 3 cars on my property are manuals and majority of my friends at school drive manuals as well. While automatics are becoming more common it is still very easy to find a manual.

You must be an exception, and schoolkids get old cars that could possibly be manuals. An overwhelming variety of cars are automatics.

Someone needs their head checked if they think that is a good looking car, maybe the ubiquitousness(sp?) of the car in Australia colours my opinion, but there is nothing there that is the least bit attractive. Spoilers are a strict no no for any decently styled car, except perhaps for road versions of race cars.

There is one thing though, I guess it is because of the tax regime, but Australian made cars are darn cheap. Crazily cheap. That and misguided patriotism is why they sell a lot. They do keep improving of course, but they aren't there yet, not by a long way.

While it may not be of the same quality it still is as quick as a BMW 5 series and im certain that the Commodore is alot cheaper than the BMW. In recent years Australian built cars have really began to catch up to European cars in terms of overall quality and interior quality. I dont think you can get a better 4 door car which can go from 0-100kph (0-62mph) for the price of the Commodore.

Who cares about drag times, try times around a test track. Top of the line Holden against an M5 B)

I think the fastest Holden Commodore at the moment is the Hoplden Commodore HSV GTS

GTS

Price: $74,990 ($56,913 US) (manual), $76,990 ($58,431 US) (automatic)

Key features: 20-inch alloy wheels, leather/suede sports seats,