Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sliderule

'07 Mclaren Winning Car

Fittipaldi also denied the theory that Alonso has made a mistake in opting at the end of the year to leave a dominant team, Renault, for the comparatively struggling McLaren squad. He explained: ''McLaren is one of the best teams in the history of F1 and I am sure they will recover. ''And if Alonso chose to change teams I am sure it was because he knows he is going to have a winning car in 2007.''

f1i.com

How would anyone even Alonso know Mclaren will have a winning car next year? I assume Fittipaldi's opinion is biased on him having been one of Mclaren drivers. What do you think?

Fittipaldi also denied the theory that Alonso has made a mistake in opting at the end of the year to leave a dominant team, Renault, for the comparatively struggling McLaren squad. He explained: ''McLaren is one of the best teams in the history of F1 and I am sure they will recover. ''And if Alonso chose to change teams I am sure it was because he knows he is going to have a winning car in 2007.''

f1i.com

How would anyone even Alonso know Mclaren will have a winning car next year? I assume Fittipaldi's opinion is biased on him having been one of Mclaren drivers. What do you think?

I dont think McLaren will have a good car next year because they lost Adrian Newey. In 1996 McLaren were nowhere while Williams were fast. Then in 1997 when Newey jump ship McLaren suddenly became fast and Williams got slower. I dont think McLaren will be competing for championships for the next few years.

I dont think McLaren will have a good car next year because they lost Adrian Newey. In 1996 McLaren were nowhere while Williams were fast. Then in 1997 when Newey jump ship McLaren suddenly became fast and Williams got slower. I dont think McLaren will be competing for championships for the next few years.

So you think Fittipaldi is full of s h i t in saying what he did?

So you think Fittipaldi is full of s h i t in saying what he did?

Not entirely. Im sure McLaren will recover but i dont think they will recover for quite a long time. I think McLaren will be podium contendors next year but i dont think we will see a championship contending car for a number of years.

f1i.com

Mclaren's problems are more in reliability side than speed. Those problems began, when certain materials were abandoned in building motors, because of environmental issues. I think It was after Mika's second world championship year. Somehow, after that the whole team just hasn't recovered until now. Those reasons must be quite deep in their test processesn etc. Also I think other teams have improved in this area, which makes the situation in Mclaren look comparatively even worse.

mclaren are always somewhere near the front so I'd be surprised if they don't win races next year. I think Fittipaldi said what he said cos he seems sure mclaren will bounce back. But it seems he didnt word it very well by saying that Alonso is sure that mclaren will have a race-winning car in 2007, cos obviously no-one knows how good the car will be next year

mclaren are always somewhere near the front so I'd be surprised if they don't win races next year. I think Fittipaldi said what he said cos he seems sure mclaren will bounce back. But it seems he didnt word it very well by saying that Alonso is sure that mclaren will have a race-winning car in 2007, cos obviously no-one knows how good the car will be next year

mclaren does not need newey to win..mclaren have won with out him...there is no garuntee that even redbull are going to win with newey....despite the presence of newey ferrari and renault have won the championship, i am sure mclare can win next years wdc..to be frank one has to be an idiot to write off mclaren!

yes lets not forget mclaren havent won a title for 7 years and arent going to win any this year either

mclaren still knows to win...its just that mercs havnt been that good...one thing is for sure..ie..they havnt forgotten HOW TO WIN!.....They can win

I dont think McLaren will have a good car next year because they lost Adrian Newey.

Newey's absence will be hard felt, he's the best at his craft. It does'nt just take an areodynamicist like Nicolas Hennel de Beaupreau to perform miracles. I predict they will struggle....

It didn't take Newey to design the current Renault. Don't write off Mclaren yet, Alonso might yet have the last laugh over Kimi. Remember not since the Williams era has anyone had the best car for 3 years in a row.

It didn't take Newey to design the current Renault. Don't write off Mclaren yet, Alonso might yet have the last laugh over Kimi. Remember not since the Williams era has anyone had the best car for 3 years in a row.

With due respect, it was engine that caused Mclaren to lose the championship(both) last year. They have the same problem this year. The picture would have been a whole lot differrent. I suppose it will be vica versa next year...

ferrari 2000,01,02? newey designed the fastest car in 2005 but before that the fastest mclaren was 1999

ferrari 2000,01,02? newey designed the fastest car in 2005 but before that the fastest mclaren was 1999

Im not convinced of that. I personally think the Ferrari was the faster car but it couldnt show its true speed because Salo and Irvine were the drivers for alot of the season. Any car that can put Irvine in title contention must be fast in my opinion.

Im not convinced of that. I personally think the Ferrari was the faster car but it couldnt show its true speed because Salo and Irvine were the drivers for alot of the season. Any car that can put Irvine in title contention must be fast in my opinion.

mclarens were nearly always faster. Irv got very close due to a) team orders and B) mclaren making all kinds of blunders all year

mclarens were nearly always faster. Irv got very close due to a) team orders and B) mclaren making all kinds of blunders all year

That is true. It think that is the year DC got 6 or 7 machanical failures in a season with about 16 races. :(

That is true. It think that is the year DC got 6 or 7 machanical failures in a season with about 16 races. :(

yes and hakkinens wheel fell off at silverstone and had a wing failure at hockenheim which sent him flying, and crashed out at imola, and spun at monza, and made all the wrong tyre choices at nurburgring, and had engine failure in australia, and had to reverse out of a escape road at monaco, I'm sure there were more. But when the car was working it was usually the fastest!!

yes and hakkinens wheel fell off at silverstone and had a wing failure at hockenheim which sent him flying, and crashed out at imola, and spun at monza, and made all the wrong tyre choices at nurburgring, and had engine failure in australia, and had to reverse out of a escape road at monaco, I'm sure there were more. But when the car was working it was usually the fastest!!

As i recall DC was driving very well that year and he should have been alot further up the championship table at the end of the season.

PS, i just checked and DC had 7 retirements in a season which had 16 races. That is the worst reliability in modern times and its a shame because i think he could have gotten alot more points if McLaren wernt so unreliable. Also Mika had a total of 5 retirements that season so trhat isnt great either.

PS, i just checked and DC had 7 retirements in a season which had 16 races. That is the worst reliability in modern times

Meh, try 5 finishes out of 15 races for JV at BAR in 2003, with 1 of those finishes blighted by mechanical dramas (Austria) and the other a collision at turn 1 through no fault of his own (Germany). Now THAT is one of the worst reliability in modern times!

Meh, try 5 finishes out of 15 races for JV at BAR in 2003, with 1 of those finishes blighted by mechanical dramas (Austria) and the other a collision at turn 1 through no fault of his own (Germany). Now THAT is one of the worst reliability in modern times!

what about 1999, JV didnt finish a race until round 12 or something like that

Yeah I know, but I can't recall how many of those retirements were through driver error and how many were through mechanical faults, although I'd imagine the majority would be a result of the latter.