Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed up

JV Would Consider Nascar Move

Canadian Jacques Villeneuve has revealed he would consider moving to the NASCAR series if he were to leave Formula One.

The 1997 world champion is still trying to secure a drive for next season, with his contract with the BMW Sauber team coming to an end this year.

And although Villeneuve has said he is determined to stay in Formula One next season, the Canadian admitted he is open to other options like the Nextel Cup.

"Going to NASCAR might not be such a bad career move, because it's the most exciting race series in the US and it's a very different discipline to F1," Villeneuve wrote in a column Red Bull's Red Bulletin. "I would not consider it a step down.

"Would I consider a move to stock cars? I would. But I would have to consider my family too, as we would have to move to the US."

Autosport.com

This mean he's not confident he can make it as a musician? :lol:

He'd dominate in nascar if he join's i bet though, Ide would be a fan favourite creating it's biggest pull for all nascar fan's...crashs.

why not leave motor racing and be a rock star.

why not leave motor racing and be a rock star.

To go racing stock cars (particularily NASCAR) is almost the same as leaving motor racing to be a rock star. It's all about the marketing and it makes for the most boring thing on TV..that is NASCAR.

I'm not so sure any of the F1 boys would do all that well in the merry-go-round series they are much more used to the parade series.

As long as JV is racing there will be a large following. As Far as NASCAR being boring.. round and round with lots of lead changes is just as good as the parade as far as most race fans are concerned. The numbers speak for themselves...

Wherever JV be is always news ...headline etc....

and i a sport is boring with JV arrival that sport gonna revival......

but for me JV is more looking if hhis F1 is up to an end to be champion in another series , so it will be...

Indy Champion...

Indianapolis 500 winner

Formula 1 champion

Nascar champion

Le mans champion tooo

his consider those 2 to achieve maybe ...and he can do it........

i hope he is still in F1 next season if no i'm fed up with F1 too i'm not gonna watch F1 till there's really a new young blood competing .....

JV should try le mans. Nascar is just driving round in circles and he'd get far more recognition and respect if he added a le mans victory to his indycar and F1 titles

Wherever JV be is always news ...headline etc....

and i a sport is boring with JV arrival that sport gonna revival......

but for me JV is more looking if hhis F1 is up to an end to be champion in another series , so it will be...

Indy Champion...

Indianapolis 500 winner

Formula 1 champion

You are right of course.

IMHO JV should have a stab at LeMans followed by DTM, afterall his familly are currently based in Europe so why upsticks back to the US. DTM has a high level of prestige and has managed to attract some big names including the likes of Mika, Frentzen, Alesi etc. etc.

Nascar can always come at a later date.

JV should try le mans. Nascar is just driving round in circles and he'd get far more recognition and respect if he added a le mans victory to his indycar and F1 titles
I don't see F1 drivers ending up anywhere other than where they started, so I would have to say F1 is just driving around in circles... Circles with left turns. And Nextel Cup is a very technical series, and has already been in the cookie-cutter phase F1 is heading: what with a sole tire supplier (Goodyear for Nextel Cup, Bridgestone for F1), mandated engine dimensions, etc. The difference is that the homogenization (not homologation) in NASCAR is at its finest in this series. Oval racing can be very exciting. Go to a midget or world of outlaws race if you ever get the chance to get Stateside.

I would like to see JV in a stock car, much like Boris Said made the move from road racing to oval, I think Villeneuve would make an excellent stock car racer.

I don't see F1 drivers ending up anywhere other than where they started, so I would have to say F1 is just driving around in circles... Circles with left turns. And Nextel Cup is a very technical series, and has already been in the cookie-cutter phase F1 is heading: what with a sole tire supplier (Goodyear for Nextel Cup, Bridgestone for F1), mandated engine dimensions, etc. The difference is that the homogenization (not homologation) in NASCAR is at its finest in this series. Oval racing can be very exciting. Go to a midget or world of outlaws race if you ever get the chance to get Stateside.

I would like to see JV in a stock car, much like Boris Said made the move from road racing to oval, I think Villeneuve would make an excellent stock car racer.

Great perspective :thbup:

I agree. JV should go and race at Le Mans with his good buddy Tom Kristensen and go for the Grand Slam (Indy 500, Indy title, F1 WDC, Le Mans), which NO racer has ever achieved. Of course, I'd prefer he still remain in F1, but if not, then I think JV would actually fit in very well within the NASCAR community where each racer is respected for who they are, instead of how much of a PR dream they are.

Even DTM would be better than nascar I think, all the ex F1 boys over there seem to absolutely love it, although I dont understand why Frentzen is STILL happy to cruise around in a Vectra

It depends. Perhaps JV sees something in NASCAR he doesn't see in DTM. NASCAR is a bigger series than DTM and I think (although I'm sure someone will know this) that the audience for NASCAR is much larger than it is for DTM.

NASCAR has a very large audience. Here's a quote from Wikipedia (I usually hate Wikipedia, but this is decent info):

According to the same NASCAR survey, published in 2004, about 40% of fans are female and their numbers are rising. About 75% have attended college and more than 25% own their own homes. About 36% of NASCAR fans make more than $50,000 a year. Finally, NASCAR fans are evenly distributed across the country. For example, 20% of NASCAR fans live in the Northeast U.S.; this is in line with the general population

I guess it comes down to perception. Nascar is viewed as an American series, whilst DTM/LeMans is viewed as an International series/race. JV's North American/Canadian fans would get to see more of him while his International fans could lose touch.

<_<

I guess it comes down to perception. Nascar is viewed as an American series, whilst DTM/LeMans is viewed as an International series/race. JV's North American/Canadian fans would get to see more of him while his International fans could lose touch.

<_<

I'm not so sure. I think if JV moves to NASCAR, his fans will follow and watch NASCAR. It's not like the world can't see the races:

"NASCAR racing is now televised in more than 150 countries in 22 languages."

I consider DTM a European series, not International. Ditto LeMans. I'm American, however, and probably don't have a clear perception on it ;)

NASCAR is american, for americans and only americans, I know NO brits who watch that trash, it really is utter rubbish and im sorry of you are a fan but seriously, what is good about it? The cars are ugly, the men are obease thick ****s who can't drive and there is no skill involved. What a waste of my life sitting and watching that, i would prefer to watch paint dry that is how much I hate NASCAR!

So, how do you really feel? :D

Actually, you brits do have stock car racing. Yours looks more like our 'Outlaw' racing than NASCAR, but it's still running around an oval, but yours is still on dirt while we graduated our stock cars to asphalt long ago...

And Ben, you, or any other brit on this Formula 1 site, are hardly the people to ask about NASCAR's popularity in Britain.

Why, we are motorport fans afterall, but Nascar aint motorsport, and stock car racing on dirt ovals with lots of mud and the cars being old bangers is far more fun than boring Nascar!

We all worship at the altar of the Gods of Motorsport, but we don't all go to the same church...

...if it's got wheels and races, it's motorsport!

Doesnt mean its good motorsport, or that its worthy of being classed motorsport when you have things like F1!

It's a fun sport to watch. I hate how unbashedly commercial it's gotten, as well as it being the pinnacle of a spec-series (insert sarcasm), but it's still fun to watch. I bash NASCAR at times myself. I bash Formula 1 also at times. I appreciate it all, however.

To compare NASCAR to Formula 1 would be wrong. They are completely different forms of racing, but they are still racing. I know it's satasfying to look down on something and feel that you are superior, but really NASCAR is a viable racing format with millions of college-educated viewers.

I've watched NASCAR races since I was a young lad and I'll watch till I die and frankly Ben you have no clue as to how hard it is to drive or race in a 'stock' car.....enough.........

JV wouldn't last as a driver in NASCAR as there would be no market for him, thus no ride or at best a ride with a 3rd tier team, sorry to say but he doesn't fit the demographic..............