Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geordie

Bizarre BMW Wing

They shoulda sold some advertising space on it :D

Indeed............

I wonder if they work on the same idea as airplane wing tip devices, you know the one that improve milage so much??

Indeed............

I wonder if they work on the same idea as airplane wing tip devices, you know the one that improve milage so much??

Damn. I hadn't thought about that...you could well be right :eusa_think:

Well those whores appendages didn't do much now did they??

they did'nt improve things much yeah...they need some more working..maybe..

they did'nt improve things much yeah...they need some more working..maybe..

yeah, some working with this:

HACKSAW.jpg

lolz

yeah, some working with this:

HACKSAW.jpg

lolz

:lol::lol:

Anyone know if BE has made a comment about the wings yet?? I'm sure that he will be wanting to take to the wings with the same tool suggested by Ferrariphile.

:lol::lol:

Anyone know if BE has made a comment about the wings yet?? I'm sure that he will be wanting to take to the wings with the same tool suggested by Ferrariphile.

Mind you, the BMW was quick in the race, JV recorded the 7th fastest lap time in the races, and they are quite a few good drivers and teams below him in the list. They are not quite there in terms of a the overall race weekend package, but they are surely catching up to the top three gradually. they are scheduled to bring aero updates to every race going forward. They still have the best windtunnel and CFD supercomputer in the F1 business.

Times

01 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:17.111

02 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:17.141

03 Pedro de la Rosa McLaren 1:17.625

04 Kimi R

Mind you, the BMW was quick in the race, JV recorded the 7th fastest lap time in the races, and they are quite a few good drivers and teams below him in the list. They are not quite there in terms of a the overall race weekend package, but they are surely catching up to the top three gradually. they are scheduled to bring aero updates to every race going forward. They still have the best windtunnel and CFD supercomputer in the F1 business.

With all this development, im sure sidepod wings are not far away....

Keep em coming!

And then the jet engines will come in and before you know it, we'll have the first ever BMW F1 plane!

All I know it is not help them at all!!

Though JV had the 7th fastest lap check the consistancy.

Yeah, but remember F1 suffers from the Red Queen syndrome. You have to run as fast as you can just to stay where you are.

I guess they don't affect visibility enough, and they are no safety hazard since they only weigh 200gms each. So fair play. They don't look like rocket science to implement, a lot of teams must be testing them in their wind tunnels already. However each teams aero requirements are different, so the ymight not work for other teams.

I guess they don't affect visibility enough, and they are no safety hazard since they only weigh 200gms each. So fair play. They don't look like rocket science to implement, a lot of teams must be testing them in their wind tunnels already. However each teams aero requirements are different, so the ymight not work for other teams.
200 g has a lot of momentum at 320 kph...

200 g has a lot of momentum at 320 kph...

They are no more, or less, dangerous than any other part of the car. The non-carbon fibre bits flying off during a crash are far more dangerous than the carbon fibre winglets, which would most likely shred when impacted with the ground.

They are no more, or less, dangerous than any other part of the car. The non-carbon fibre bits flying off during a crash are far more dangerous than the carbon fibre winglets, which would most likely shred when impacted with the ground.

I agree, I think I would rather get hit by one of those wings which dont have much carbon in them, than a head smashing piece of tungsten steel ballast

All I know it is not help them at all!!

Though JV had the 7th fastest lap check the consistancy.

That can be explained by JV's tyre choice. In the press release after quali he said he and his crew went aggressive with the strategy. What he meant by this was he was using the soft compound tyres which he hoped would get him a high grid position. However, apart from not making it out of Q1, the problem with this compound was that they wouldn't be that great for the race, hence JV probably thought he'd qualify high, try to hold off the faster cars for as long as he could, then try to fight for a point or two.

Since his quali was a downright disaster, he was screwed for the race. The tyres allowed JV to be quicker, but only for a lap or two and the consistency was non-existent. Nick on the other hand ran a harder tyre, which whilst not as quick as the compound JV chose, was more consistent. That explains in part JV's very quick lap and the big gap to Nick. Either way, it was a mega lap from JV, sadly all for nothing.

On BMW's official site, under 'news' there's a reference to the wings being 'air deflectors'. This rules out my theory. So onward to a new theory (as if anybody cares anymore :D ).

I would say they still are designed for cornering, but would deflect crosswise air during turning towards the center of the car. Of course, the less-fantastic theory about them deflecting the front-on airflow to the back more efficiently still could be true... :eusa_think: (They probably are both a bit true).

On BMW's official site, under 'news' there's a reference to the wings being 'air deflectors'. This rules out my theory. So onward to a new theory (as if anybody cares anymore :D ).

I would say they still are designed for cornering, but would deflect crosswise air during turning towards the center of the car. Of course, the less-fantastic theory about them deflecting the front-on airflow to the back more efficiently still could be true... :eusa_think: (They probably are both a bit true).

Im sticking with deflects the air around the c#ckpit area and around the sides.

Im sticking with deflects the air around the c#ckpit area and around the sides.

Agree, it must tidy up the air flow as it makes it's way past the engine cover and onto the rear wing.

:clap3: nah I reckon these wings are designed to COOL the driver :clap3: