Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geordie

Bizarre BMW Wing

BMW have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that an aerodynamically-efficient car can also be quite an eyesore!

Good job BMW!! :clap3:

the way it's going F1 cars will have more "Wings" on em then a bloody chineese Phone book has listed :blink:

F1 has seen much weirder stuff than this!! 6-wheeled tyrrell, and the massive tall wings used in the late 60s', and in 98 cars with mini-rear wings on their sidepods

They tested McLaren horns too, wonder if they'll be on the car in Magny Cours too

Apart from the horn's function, the cars look rather dynamic, i love it. But i surely hate these front wings!!!!

surely they must be annoying when you're trying to look at the apex of a corner and that thing is blocking your vision

Ban it! Ban all of it!!! Get rid of all of these ridiculous lumps, bumps, greeblies and carbuncles once and for all. Such a simple rule change that would be.

They tested McLaren horns too, wonder if they'll be on the car in Magny Cours too

61726.jpg

That's got to be one of the weirdest looking F1 cars to race ever

the crappy prongs just don't look pretty :(

Apparently they will be in France also

Ban it! Ban all of it!!! Get rid of all of these ridiculous lumps, bumps, greeblies and carbuncles once and for all. Such a simple rule change that would be.

no the designers like to find new ways of making the cars faster

i do wonder though how the cars of the 90's had big performance advantages cos back then they didnt even have winglets on the sides of the front wing, let alone things sticking out of the sidepods

i do wonder though how the cars of the 90's had big performance advantages cos back then they didnt even have winglets on the sides of the front wing, let alone things sticking out of the sidepods

:huh: They didn't. They were slower, despite having slicks, 3/3.5 litlre engine ( I don't quite remember exactly when the 3 litlre rule was brought in), fewer restrictions on aero, unlimited tyres, unlimited engines etc etc. We have come a long way.

:huh: They didn't. They were slower, despite having slicks, 3/3.5 litlre engine ( I don't quite remember exactly when the 3 litlre rule was brought in), fewer restrictions on aero, unlimited tyres, unlimited engines etc etc. We have come a long way.

no i mean how did the cars have advantages over each other, eg why was the 96 williams far faster than say the 96 sauber! (the 96 ferrari's slowness doesnt need explaining just look at it)

no i mean how did the cars have advantages over each other, eg why was the 96 williams far faster than say the 96 sauber! (the 96 ferrari's slowness doesnt need explaining just look at it)

Williams probably had far better aero for that time, a more powerful works engine, better integration with the tyres, lighter faster shifting gearbox etc etc Same stuff as now really, why do you think it would be different?

yeah, just look at the difference between cell phones from 10 years ago and today, the old and new stuff are light years apart, but little things give the advantage.

crossed fingers and toes that it works pal......

Exactly mate! I've heard BMW Sauber will race with the aero package of the "McLaren horns" and side fins so it'll be interesting to see the effect it has on the speed of the car during a race weekend.

Exactly mate! I've heard BMW Sauber will race with the aero package of the "McLaren horns" and side fins so it'll be interesting to see the effect it has on the speed of the car during a race weekend.

I'm going to LMAO when either or both of the following scenarios occur:

1) The front appendages cause a driver error, and/or

2) Both cars are amazingly quicker than either the Renaults or Ferraris.

Kubica's got some speed and promise, though I'd like to see him in race conditions. Let's see how they do in about 20 minutes after 2nd practice is over.

And Kubica's still at the top of the time charts after 2nd practice...

hrmmmm...

come on its friday practise, we should all know by now not to read anything into it

I hope your right. Otherwise Red Bull ae way off the pace.

i've also just noticed that JV & Heidfeld were 14th and 15th quickest, so I dont think kubica setting the fastest time really means anything

I know, I know, just Friday practice. He just doesn't pace himself so well maybe?

Kubica was faster in Friday practice before the new wings.I don't expect anything spectacular fom BMW really.If they get ahead of the Renaults( :eusa_think: ) i 'll sure be happy though!!

Well those whores appendages didn't do much now did they??